How much reloading components do you keep stocked? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 02-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,651 Times in 3,452 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I started on 200 38 spec. cases yesterday. I could not find any wad cutters to load? Looks like this winter I will load SWC and RNF for 38 spec. I will add wadcutters to my moulding list this summer unless I find some. I haven't moulded them in many years but thought I had a 3# coffee can full? I don't know what I have in reloading stuff. I do have enough to load a year supply for every round that I shoot. I keep components as my shooting preference changes often and some firearms do not get shot for years. I cleaned the 308 from the barn, it has not been shot in over 10 years. Instead of how much to you have, how much do you use and can you load sufficient ammo to make it though the year. Most of us will not admit if we have enough for more than one year
Wadcutters are what I have stocked up for via 38spl. ( Years ago when it was a very low cost item.) We have plenty of revolvers here that are chambered for 38spl, and I enjoy shooting them from time to time. Hardly ever reload 357mag to the point that I don't count it much in terms of reloading. Same with 7.62x39mm.

Still have quite a large stockpile of 308 Sierra 168gr Match and 165gr HPBT Game kings from those days. ( Blemished bullets back before anyone knew about those details)

11B
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 01:55 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,270 Times in 5,794 Posts

Nomad Quote;
'I was the youngest member of a gun club by 25 years. I'd get calls like this:

Bill passed away and his wife wants to sell his lead. We have all we need. You want it?

Me: how much? (Meaning volume)

$0.50/lb,it's all lead ingots.

Me: I'll take it.
That was 3,000lbs. She threw in the linotype, and the molds.'

See; us old gun club fudds are good for something.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,893 Times in 2,473 Posts

When I was in High School 45 years ago
I joined a photography club
The blue-hairs were so kind to me and desperate for young blood to keep the club going
My friend and I got the red-carpet treatment
Now, I am the blue-hair
I would help any young-one and encourage their participation in the use of firearms
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 42,933 Times in 10,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
When I was in High School 45 years ago
I joined a photography club
The blue-hairs were so kind to me and desperate for young blood to keep the club going
My friend and I got the red-carpet treatment
Now, I am the blue-hair
I would help any young-one and encourage their participation in the use of firearms
Haha

I was telling some younger girls the other day to be careful driving because the blue hairs were out in force that day

I guess they thought I was talking about people with actual "blue" hair, they looked at me kind of stupid

Then I had to explain it to them, which made me feel real stupid

As I tell you this, I wonder how many in here know what we're even talking about?

I'm guessing we're just about the same age! 45 years ago, I was a junior in high school

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,893 Times in 2,473 Posts

Yes I get it
45 years ago
I was 15
Had to bike to the photograph club
Had a darkroom and bulk-loaded my film
Really enjoyed the chemistry of it all
Got some infrared film and played with that to go with color and black and white
I had no God--given gift for it all, but it was cool to do
It was a "cool" experience
Would not change a thing
Life was so different then
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,015 Times in 499 Posts

When prossible and/or practical, reloading should be part of everyone's preps. There is no wrong answer as to how much is too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
When prossible and/or practical, reloading should be part of everyone's preps. There is no wrong answer as to how much is too much.

Agreed. Simply curious as to the average answer.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,015 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Agreed. Simply curious as to the average answer.

11B
Nothing wrong with that!

If you haven't already done so, you may want to consider bullet casting. Lead bullets in rifles are excellent for bagging small game.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Nothing wrong with that!

If you haven't already done so, you may want to consider bullet casting. Lead bullets in rifles are excellent for bagging small game.

Another in my group casts bullets. Have used plenty of his cast bullets through revolvers in 38spl.

Heavily vested in 22lr, so this is what we use most of the time via small game along with suppressors.
The wife uses hers to keep her gardens safe from the house windows to keep pests in check. Everything from birds to bunnies to feral pigs.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_153101.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	297268  
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,463 Times in 2,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
As luck would have it the state outlawed lead projectiles.
Lead projectiles are banned for hunting. There are still millions of tons of lead rounds available for purchase throughout CA.

Currently working on getting 2500 projectiles each caliber in case that ban becomes more than just hunting.

Tomorrow my .452 mold and sizing die should arrive. Currently have around 1000 pounds of lead for casting. I predominately only cast lead balls for blackpowder and 00 buckshot, but with the anti lead bullet movement, working on getting a mold for every major caliber.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,162 Times in 2,207 Posts

I have killed deer with my 30-30 and cast projectiles. They work just fine. I can cast for every weapon that I reload. cast projectiles are just fine for plinking and target practice. My 357 pistol and carbine have taken lots of squirrels and one pig. I'm in my late 60's, I'm not shooting anything that takes an hour to drag back to camp. I still watch Ebay and bid on moulds that are cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Nothing to see here...

Let me just prefix this by saying my prepping focused on something not often covered here, RETIREMENT. And that milestone for me will finally happen at the end of next month! My purchases up to now were preparing to allow me to shoot as often as I choose on a tighter budget until I hit 65 in a few years. I've been reloading off and on for several decades and casting with lead (bullets, sinkers, jigs, etc) for nearly 5 decades. Let me state upfront that I personally enjoy the process so it is something to keep my busy, productive & happy. I'm also a bit of a brass & lead scrounger although less so now than a while back so there is more time but less money invested in that aspect of the process.

Reloading for our household isn't about saving money since we end up shooting a bit more but rather the following:
a) to have ammo on hand when needed. Remember the "ammo famine" of just a few years ago? Even primers and specific powders were hard to come by except at a premium price.
b) to replenish what we expend even in times of scarcity or government interference
c) to be able to customize loads for a specific firearm and/or purpose.

I've stocked up "enough" gear & inventory to last me for more than a few years without impacting the budget and keep our future grandchildren provided for and likely their children as well I expect to have more time than discretionary funds, aka mad money so time spent reloading is just part of the 'hobby'.

My extended family & close friends are heavily invested in 30 cal rifles (30-30, x51, x54R, '06, x39, 300BO) and a few other calibers not including handguns (9/40/45/38). With the right molds and sizing dies I can accommodate anything from .309 up to .312 bullet diameter with reloading dies & common primers/components for all of them. Some calibers are not as economical (at this time) to reload based on current prices but when no 9mm is on the shelf or is running $25/box of 50 I've got several cat litter jugs of deprimed, cleaned, resized and sorted brass by headstamp that will easily be filled with powder coated cast bullets. Same goes for 12/20ga buckshot (00, #4,000 & slugs). For what I cannot fabricate on my own have keep an eye out for sales, factory seconds/blemished good like lead-free and and even some frangible bullets for local bowling pin or steel plate competitions.

Without going into quantities we have enough components & materials to provide everyone in the family with enough hunting ammo for several lifetimes and to reload THEIR empty brass (in calibers I support) multiple times. Those reloads may not be the penultimate in accuracy but it will safely function within acceptable limits I set. If they want pair accurized reloads to their firearms my gear & experience is available for them to tap into

So circling back to answer the original question I'd say determine your reason(s) first for wanting to load and then invest wisely
The Following User Says Thank You to meadmkr For This Useful Post: