AR/ AK pistol or PCC ( Read OP before voting) - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: AR or AK pistol vs PCC
AR or AK pistol 36 83.72%
PCC 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,160 Times in 760 Posts

Advertise Here

300 BLK looks good for this role, but I personally want to keep my logistics as simple as possible.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,865 Times in 755 Posts

I'd take a 14.5" AR "pistol" in 5.56 with a linear compensator. I likely wouldn't SBR it either, some of the braces out there are as comfortable to shoulder it as a regular stock, not that I've done anything of the sort, I always comply with the mandates of our ruling class.

Currently the way I have my "Pistol" and appropriate gear set up is how I'd like mine in this scenario, excepting the barrel length. My current upper is a 11.5" barrel with an A2 birdcage, SBA3 brace, Vortex Crossfire red dot, Streamlight TLR-1, Magpul metal BUIS, and a 2 point sling which I'm genuinely considering swapping for an M60 carry handle. Lightweight and compact, yet still very handy.

When I'm hiking with a "group of like minded individuals" I usually bring my load out of 30+1 pmag in the gun, 3x 20rd aluminums in a light compact chest rig and a quick reload on my hip of a 30rd PMag. I usually get ragged on for bringing such little ammo but I can go further and faster without needing as many breaks as the guys I hike with who bring their carriers and 10 magazines.

For home defense/truck gun/get out of dodge gun it makes perfect sense to me as you're going to be using it to get AWAY from a small threat, not get in to a firefight with an enemy force.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,649 Times in 3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
I'd take a 14.5" AR "pistol" in 5.56 with a linear compensator. I likely wouldn't SBR it either, some of the braces out there are as comfortable to shoulder it as a regular stock, not that I've done anything of the sort, I always comply with the mandates of our ruling class.

Currently the way I have my "Pistol" and appropriate gear set up is how I'd like mine in this scenario, excepting the barrel length. My current upper is a 11.5" barrel with an A2 birdcage, SBA3 brace, Vortex Crossfire red dot, Streamlight TLR-1, Magpul metal BUIS, and a 2 point sling which I'm genuinely considering swapping for an M60 carry handle. Lightweight and compact, yet still very handy.

When I'm hiking with a "group of like minded individuals" I usually bring my load out of 30+1 pmag in the gun, 3x 20rd aluminums in a light compact chest rig and a quick reload on my hip of a 30rd PMag. I usually get ragged on for bringing such little ammo but I can go further and faster without needing as many breaks as the guys I hike with who bring their carriers and 10 magazines.

For home defense/truck gun/get out of dodge gun it makes perfect sense to me as you're going to be using it to get AWAY from a small threat, not get in to a firefight with an enemy force.

I am the total opposite when it comes to ammo . Always have more than I think I will need per any situation in current time..

In my case, it has little to do with a concern over running out via gunfights .

All to do with physical conditioning, carrier evaluation ( along with other equipment), and essentially keeping the body accustomed to this type of loadout.

Worst case......one has options. Drop excess and run for it. Utilize excess as bait, " counter socialize ", utilize a volume of fire to facilitate another part of my group in thier egress ( especially with casualties in tow),,,,,,Etc.......etc....

Note: The O.C. mag stays on person. ...lol.

The AK pistol is set up for an entirely different purpose.

11B
Old 02-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Space Force Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I am the total opposite when it comes to ammo . Always have more than I think I will need per any situation in current time..

In my case, it has little to do with a concern over running out via gunfights .

All to do with physical conditioning, carrier evaluation ( along with other equipment), and essentially keeping the body accustomed to this type of loadout.

Worst case......one has options. Drop excess and run for it. Utilize excess as bait, " counter socialize ", utilize a volume of fire to facilitate another part of my group in thier egress ( especially with casualties in tow),,,,,,Etc.......etc....

Note: The O.C. mag stays on person. ...lol.

The AK pistol is set up for an entirely different purpose.

11B
I agree on a similar kit for rifles. I will carry a full combat load plus a few extra magazines, when I'm training with my rifle but you asked about pistols in the PDW role, though I utilize this particular pistol in more of a "scouting" role.

In my opinion a PDW is not for fighting in a battle, but for fighting to get away from a battle. Easier to do that when you're light on your feet. Training with a ton of gear definitely has it's uses but it's also a good idea to train with the minimal amount of gear too since there are plenty of scenarios you could find yourself in without everything you can carry and knowing how to use the bare minimum in out of the box ways could be a life saver.

Edit: I plan on building an SPR here in the next few weeks, and my load for that will be similar to the load that I carry for my pistol. 1:7 twist, 18" barrel, but instead of carrying m193 ammo it'll be lcarried with 75gr handloads pending testing of accuracy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I agree on a similar kit for rifles. I will carry a full combat load plus a few extra magazines, when I'm training with my rifle but you asked about pistols in the PDW role, though I utilize this particular pistol in more of a "scouting" role.

In my opinion a PDW is not for fighting in a battle, but for fighting to get away from a battle. Easier to do that when you're light on your feet. Training with a ton of gear definitely has it's uses but it's also a good idea to train with the minimal amount of gear too since there are plenty of scenarios you could find yourself in without everything you can carry and knowing how to use the bare minimum in out of the box ways could be a life saver.

Edit: I plan on building an SPR here in the next few weeks, and my load for that will be similar to the load that I carry for my pistol. 1:7 twist, 18" barrel, but instead of carrying m193 ammo it'll be lcarried with 75gr handloads pending testing of accuracy.
That makes good sense in your case due to the fact that you are training with different equipment ( carrier in your case for one), and how you intend to use your SPR.

Like I said, I am the opposite. Any type of patrol using rifle , carbine, SBR, PCC, or in my case .....a 7.62x39mm AK pistol.......and said weapon supplied by a " combat load" of mags/ ammo .
Not my primary purpose for a PDW, but if employed as such, then it would be directly supported as a combat weapon. ( This includes any LRRP or SRRP)

Your idea sounds interesting btw. Also have a rifle that uses same mags via the pistol. Both = MFS 125gr JSP.
Why not use your 75gr handloads in the pistol as well as SPR?

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_145004.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	297480  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,682 Times in 636 Posts

2020 is again the year of the AR(pistol), when ARs are cheaper than AKs and most PCCs, it's time to buy ARs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,913 Times in 1,001 Posts

AR-pistol. I have a 10.5" Palmetto rig with Faxon BCG and KAK brace. I have one in both 5.56 and 300 Blk, 5.56 is the go-to. Very light, handy, and super reliable. It is plenty accurate out to 150-200 yards. Far better than a handgun, yet much less cumbersome than a carbine. I can also still use/wear the same chest rig and bandoleers when switching to my full size battle rifle.
The Following User Says Thank You to hanzy4200 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
Iím going to go ahead and say it. I have a few SBRs and my pap92 will rattle your head. I have been beside a guy shooting a 7in 50cal and my pap is more annoying.
Nice Pappy. How did you attach a stock on it? I am debating of getting a PSA AKP with triangle brace but canít justify an extra AK now and the brace is soft plastic which is a turn off. I want to run a SBA3 brace on it but canít justify the $200+ cost as I can get a complete lower AR for less than the price of the brace. And I did just that, bought a braced AR for $200 after FFL feel and shipping and just use a foot of paracord to rig a sling point.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg777 View Post
2020 is again the year of the AR(pistol), when ARs are cheaper than AKs and most PCCs, it's time to buy ARs.
A solid braced AR is $550 after shipping and FFL fee. I normally buy 2-4 complete lowers at a time to save on fees and avoid backdoor registration as lower is treated as receiver or others on 4473 and go to bottom pile at Martinburg.

Braced AK and AR turned PCC into almost useless toys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric45acp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Space Force Recruit

Quote:
That makes good sense in your case due to the fact that you are training with different equipment ( carrier in your case for one), and how you intend to use your SPR.

Like I said, I am the opposite. Any type of patrol using rifle , carbine, SBR, PCC, or in my case .....a 7.62x39mm AK pistol.......and said weapon supplied by a " combat load" of mags/ ammo .
Not my primary purpose for a PDW, but if employed as such, then it would be directly supported as a combat weapon. ( This includes any LRRP or SRRP)

Your idea sounds interesting btw. Also have a rifle that uses same mags via the pistol. Both = MFS 125gr JSP.
Why not use your 75gr handloads in the pistol as well as SPR?

11B
I could, but the pistol has a 1:9 twist, don't think it'll stabilize to well.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 12:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 31,690 Times in 7,506 Posts

Quote:
I could, but the pistol has a 1:9 twist, don't think it'll stabilize to well.
I could never get 75s to stabilize in a 1:9 barrel. 69s were excellent.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:22 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 34,499 Times in 8,254 Posts

In 2020 markets, an AR pistol.

Cost: $500
Very versatile.
Excellent ergonomics and ballistics, with accuracy out to several hundred yards. Easiest to brace. AK pistols are harder and more expensive to brace.

In pre-brace markets 5 years ago, I'd go with the less expensive and more compact AK pistols. They were less expensive and function about the same without a brace versus an AR without a brace, but more compact. Both non-braced guns are 50-100 yard guns.

I wouldn't even consider a PCC with rifle caliber carbines available.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:25 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 34,499 Times in 8,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg777 View Post
100% A+ answer.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Survivor

Have used both and much prefer the AK ergos/ manual of arms. Namely when it comes to immediate transition drills between hands.

Ammo is the real cost factor imo.

The good news for everyone = we all have choices when it comes to firearms at current time.

11B
Old 02-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
I could never get 75s to stabilize in a 1:9 barrel. 69s were excellent.
Are you witnessing keyholes by any chance?

11B
Old 02-15-2020, 05:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 31,690 Times in 7,506 Posts

Quote:
Are you witnessing keyholes by any chance?
Yup. Keyholes were very common.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,888 Times in 2,470 Posts

Sold the PCCs
Did not make sense to me but they are fun, just not decisive
Longer barrels add little to pistol cartridge ballistics
Have a couple Galil Aces in 7.62 x 39
Realy like them and they are AK derivatives
Just picked them over an AK47 pistol but would love to have an AK pistol
Have many AR pistols in 5.56 and 300 BO
I would go with 10.5" barrels either way
I like them equally, but for 150 yards and in, the 300 BO makes sense
A lot of versatility
Hope you find what you are looking for
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 05:39 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Sold the PCCs
Did not make sense to me but they are fun, just not decisive
Longer barrels add little to pistol cartridge ballistics
Have a couple Galil Aces in 7.62 x 39
Realy like them and they are AK derivatives
Just picked them over an AK47 pistol but would love to have an AK pistol
Have many AR pistols in 5.56 and 300 BO
I would go with 10.5" barrels either way
I like them equally, but for 150 yards and in, the 300 BO makes sense
A lot of versatility
Hope you find what you are looking for
Lookin for a pap to go along with my C39.

11B
Old 02-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,470 Times in 3,998 Posts

9mm AR Carbine.

5.56 or 7.62X39 in a 10ish inch barrel will blind you in the dark and blow out your ears in a confined space. The longer 9mm barrel may not give it much more velocity but it does give the powder more time to burn reducing flash and blast.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,888 Times in 2,470 Posts

Any centerfire cartridge will smash your ears in a confined space
Flash will be more of an issue but all will affect night-vision
It is all a trade-off, plus/minus, cost/benefit
Pick your poison
But agree, something to consider
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post: