Combloc AKs or modern braced pistol? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 PM

Default Combloc AKs or modern braced pistol?

Advertise Here

I have a few of these from the awb era. I wonder if I should keep them or sell them to buy guns such as AK pistols from PSA. I don’t really need 15 AK rifles but could use a AKP or AKV. if sellin, what is the market for SAR-1 and WASR-10?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2020, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 64,436 Times in 20,530 Posts

6-7

You could sell 1-2 and get the braced "pistols"
Old 02-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,867 Times in 639 Posts

I don't usually advise on selling anything unless its for a true upgrade. In this case, I don't think your actually upgrading anything.

I would keep what you now have, and just save up for what you want. The resale price on those old school WASR 10's has been going up quite a bit in the last few years, imagine what it will be when you can't get anything....

I always thought the WASR's were ok, got the job done but nothing fantastic, and feel the current AK's coming out of PSA, although a little better looking, are the same.

I would opt for an Arsenal AK, but again the price for those are quite high and they are not always available.

There is nothing wrong with salting away a few rifles for a rainy day, especially with the way thing have been going along the last 10 years.

Good luck with your choice!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueHarvest76 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,650 Times in 3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric45acp View Post
I have a few of these from the awb era. I wonder if I should keep them or sell them to buy guns such as AK pistols from PSA. I don’t really need 15 AK rifles but could use a AKP or AKV. if sellin, what is the market for SAR-1 and WASR-10?
I have and use both.
A braced AK pistol is more than worth it from an end user perspective.

Have used a AK pistol/ brace in 7.62x39mm as a PDW and some close range hog eradication.

HD
Truck/ UTV/ tractor/ horse gun
Conceal carry

Currently evaluating it in extreme cold weather at 8k feet + above sea level.

It has replaced shotguns and PCC s in every role concerning security. ( 870, Benelli M1-121, M1 Carbine, Berretta CX4 Storm for a few examples.)
Will be taking it along to a civilian weapons course in the spring.
Sold an SAR1 to eventually fund another.

Pics below show the " pistol" next to a Wasr1063 and M14S.
Note: Velocity loss is minimal ( This one = 10.5in bbl ), compared to the WASR.

Future plans will include mount/ RDS, a light, a dedicated can, and folding brace adapter once evals are complete....provided it makes the cut in the end.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_145004.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	297538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_150138.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	297540  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 11:45 PM
Prepared

Fragout, I have one of those AK pistols on the way to my FFL now. I was between that and a Draco as well as looking at 10.5in vs 12.5in but decided on this one based some what on some of your previous posts regarding that same gun. I.E.. hog hunting, PDW value, experience with other weapons, etc. I would still like a 12.5in but along with my AK63D and SKS-D I dont think I'm short in x39 guns, but I like them.

And for the OP, FWIW, I agree with Nomad. Sell 1 or 2, or 3 even, and you can get a few braced AK pistols and I think it would be well worth it, especially the way things are going nowadays.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHTF MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I have and use both.
A braced AK pistol is more than worth it from an end user perspective.

Have used a AK pistol/ brace in 7.62x39mm as a PDW and some close range hog eradication.

HD
Truck/ UTV/ tractor/ horse gun
Conceal carry

Currently evaluating it in extreme cold weather at 8k feet + above sea level.

It has replaced shotguns and PCC s in every role concerning security. ( 870, Benelli M1-121, M1 Carbine, Berretta CX4 Storm for a few examples.)
Will be taking it along to a civilian weapons course in the spring.
Sold an SAR1 to eventually fund another.

11B
My plan to to sell all the SAR and WASR to buy PSA AKV and AKP. SAR and WASR have chrome-lined barrel that USA AK of repute would be in $900+ price range and they were mostly built to withstand harsh environment unlike a lot of modern ‘sporting’ AKs, that while exceed civilian role, couldn’t come near. As I am still a hillibilly, PSA far exceeds my standard of 500 rounds a year.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHarvest76 View Post
I don't usually advise on selling anything unless its for a true upgrade. In this case, I don't think your actually upgrading anything.

I would keep what you now have, and just save up for what you want. The resale price on those old school WASR 10's has been going up quite a bit in the last few years, imagine what it will be when you can't get anything....

I always thought the WASR's were ok, got the job done but nothing fantastic, and feel the current AK's coming out of PSA, although a little better looking, are the same.

I would opt for an Arsenal AK, but again the price for those are quite high and they are not always available.

There is nothing wrong with salting away a few rifles for a rainy day, especially with the way thing have been going along the last 10 years.

Good luck with your choice!
I hear you brother. Just about all of my AKs were bought new in late 90’s during AWB. I may have bought 1 or 2 AK47 around the sunset as I think one of it came with bayonet though I never mount it on the rifle. silly me never kept boxes and may have lost accessories but I am a gun owner and not some basement collector and oil dripper. I only have 1 AK74, which I ,Ike but I see it is in the $1200+ now. As much I like the round potency, I can easily see a 6.5 Grendel be a better round and can be had for half that in AR platform and I can get 1500 rounds of ammo to practice leaking milk bottle out to 300 yard on iron sight.

But I never like selling guns and that how I ended up with so many AKs, having started with SAR, then WASR10, them MAK90, then undercover Yugo, and even a long barrel Chicom AK with side mounted scope. As most of my AK were bought under 400 and the most expensive being 475 during panic, it is hard justifying $800+ PSA AKP. I rather just do a 1-1 swap by selling one to get one as AKP is such a joy nobody wants to sell them.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric45acp View Post
My plan to to sell all the SAR and WASR to buy PSA AKV and AKP. SAR and WASR have chrome-lined barrel that USA AK of repute would be in $900+ price range and they were mostly built to withstand harsh environment unlike a lot of modern ‘sporting’ AKs, that while exceed civilian role, couldn’t come near. As I am still a hillibilly, PSA far exceeds my standard of 500 rounds a year.
As for barrels, I am a firm believer towards chrome lined tubes. ( Criterion in particular has been put thru shooting evils since 2003 via the M14)

With that said, my AK pistol sports a nitrite coated tube and milled receiver via one hunk of 4140 steel. ( Bought it used for cheap and have since put 3350 rds thru it without any issue. ( Mechanical accuracy is an improvement across the board using various loads...vs... The former Warsaw pact cl tubes, and is a decent rival to the Mac91 I used to own.)

( A modified Century C39 AK pistol.)

The side scope mount is a definite improvement over what you see on the WASR line......( Mine is a Wasr10/63)

Both triggers are a much needed modification over my older Mac90 and much older Norinco AK47S.

Tapco G2 = WASR1063
Rak1 = Century

Furniture for AK pistol = Magpul moe, and thier pistol grip is one of the better grips I have utilized on any AK.

A few other. improvements include a notch in selector lever. ( Very handy if you ever decide to run one while attending a civilian run course in paticular)

The enlarged T shape mag release turns this type of weapon into a real fighting stick. ( Probably the smallest feature that pays the higher dividends for high volume endusers as well as anyone considering it as a PDW.)

This paticular pistol reliably feeds from any mag I have used so far....

Chicom
East German
Romanian
Korean
Bulgarian
Yugos
Etc.....and even those junk Tapco mags up until they end up breaking.

Drums include Chicom, Romanian ( both types), and Korean.

And it still retains the very same/ simple disassembly procedures, manual of arms, etc...that make it what it is and always has been....within a short package better suited towards close quarter restrictive environments.

11B
Old 02-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHTF MAN View Post
Fragout, I have one of those AK pistols on the way to my FFL now. I was between that and a Draco as well as looking at 10.5in vs 12.5in but decided on this one based some what on some of your previous posts regarding that same gun. I.E.. hog hunting, PDW value, experience with other weapons, etc. I would still like a 12.5in but along with my AK63D and SKS-D I dont think I'm short in x39 guns, but I like them.

And for the OP, FWIW, I agree with Nomad. Sell 1 or 2, or 3 even, and you can get a few braced AK pistols and I think it would be well worth it, especially the way things are going nowadays.
Velocity loss between a 16in tube and 10.5in tube is minimal compared to other cartridges. ( I will get back to as soon as I get to my notes concerning AMV I recorded with various loads via lab radar chronogragh. )

I was more interested in a shorter OAL than a small increase towards AMV a 12.5 would provide. Discreet carry bags being a low profile means to carry concealed. ( Have seen shorter bbl versions, but they did not meet my requirements.)

Being classified as a pistol brings it into a legal means of transport via automobile while loaded ....where certain areas of the country prohibit loaded rifles in a car.

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post: