How much ammo/firearms are enough and what cal? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Chuckleberry's Avatar
Chuckleberry Chuckleberry is offline
Limited Tolerance Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NoDak
Posts: 4,588
Thanks: 6,017
Thanked 12,742 Times in 3,650 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog02 View Post
Here's the problem... you finally acquire "enough" ammo. You build a bunker to house said ammo. You now have to provide perimeter security for the ammo bunker loaded with ammo. You also have to provide a fail safe destruction mechanism when/if you are over run by bad guys. You will now need a secondary fall back location suitably stocked with ammo and provisions in a secure area. You will also need at least one more covert location in case everything else falls to caca and you are screwed.

That being said, as much as you can stock without ignoring other priorities. But you gotta keep it secure... I need to move to another location.

`

Just like they did with the oil in Mad Max! Ooooh, now I have to rethink my plans to rule the waste land.

.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 08:44 PM
7.5x55 Swiss's Avatar
7.5x55 Swiss 7.5x55 Swiss is offline
Space Force Recruit
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Moon Base Alpha
Posts: 1,205
Thanks: 1,257
Thanked 1,865 Times in 755 Posts
Default

2 firearms and a spare for each are all you really need, so 4 total. Then spare parts like extractors, ejectors, springs, pins, barrels, ect. are good to stock up on.

Ammo is one of those things where it depends on how often you shoot. If you shoot rarely then 1,000rds might be something you could get away with, but if you shoot rarely you're likely not going to have the skills to make that 1,000rds last either.

2 Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, Colts, Rugers, whatever handgun you like and 2 rifles in an intermediate or full powered cartridge of the same cartridge are all you need. You can do everything with them, but they'd be jack of all trades master of none guns.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:22 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,304
Thanks: 5,485
Thanked 6,650 Times in 3,452 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog02 View Post
Here's the problem... you finally acquire "enough" ammo. You build a bunker to house said ammo. You now have to provide perimeter security for the ammo bunker loaded with ammo. You also have to provide a fail safe destruction mechanism when/if you are over run by bad guys. You will now need a secondary fall back location suitably stocked with ammo and provisions in a secure area. You will also need at least one more covert location in case everything else falls to caca and you are screwed.

That being said, as much as you can stock without ignoring other priorities. But you gotta keep it secure... I need to move to another location.
Nope. You need a cache program.


11B
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 11:25 PM
Eric45acp Eric45acp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

If you have a basement, I would pick 2 calibers outside of .22 lr and keep 5000 rounds for each. Assuming you pick one rifle and one pistol calibers, I would proceed to keep 3000 rounds for calibers you use often and maybe 2000 rounds for unique rounds you have rifles for but not necessarily shoot a lot, e.g .303 and 8mm. If your picked caliber is different than you carry caliber, I would make sure you keep 500 rounds of the best load your carry hand perform exceptional in and 2000 rounds Of the practice variant of same caliber.

My situation is different is that I carry both 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP for different time of year and different situation such as hiking, going to the mall/stores, or regular outing. Winter always demands .40 S&W double stack whereas hiking in populated area can taken care off with .45 ACP and extended trip always requires 9mm as it is most common in case things get way out of wax and I need to improvise. Of course, I have been lucky to never have needed my guns but it is nice to know the insurance is fully paid and on my hip when and if ever needed.

Whatever you do, don’t be like that like in Tremor with a bunker filled with gears but never seem to have enough ammo or right guns for the job when needed.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 PM
Kymudder08's Avatar
Kymudder08 Kymudder08 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 270 ky
Posts: 1,227
Thanks: 257
Thanked 626 Times in 385 Posts
Default

I only have 556, 9mm, 22lr, 12ga, .270, 380, and 54r. The 380 is just for a pocket pistol I carry sometimes, and the 54r is for a t53 mosin I have for fun. Those two I’m not all that worried about stocking much for. I have a “shooting stock” on shelves in my basement that’s for practice and a shtf stock in ammo cans that I’ve had since 2011-2013 that doesn’t get touched. I need to add more 9mm to my canned stocks since I only have 2-3k of it. I have 3500 22 in a can and 5-6000 556 in cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric45acp View Post
If you have a basement, I would pick 2 calibers outside of .22 lr and keep 5000 rounds for each. Assuming you pick one rifle and one pistol calibers, I would proceed to keep 3000 rounds for calibers you use often and maybe 2000 rounds for unique rounds you have rifles for but not necessarily shoot a lot, e.g .303 and 8mm. If your picked caliber is different than you carry caliber, I would make sure you keep 500 rounds of the best load your carry hand perform exceptional in and 2000 rounds Of the practice variant of same caliber.

My situation is different is that I carry both 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP for different time of year and different situation such as hiking, going to the mall/stores, or regular outing. Winter always demands .40 S&W double stack whereas hiking in populated area can taken care off with .45 ACP and extended trip always requires 9mm as it is most common in case things get way out of wax and I need to improvise. Of course, I have been lucky to never have needed my guns but it is nice to know the insurance is fully paid and on my hip when and if ever needed.

Whatever you do, don’t be like that like in Tremor with a bunker filled with gears but never seem to have enough ammo or right guns for the job when needed.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 06:47 PM
Baddogg5's Avatar
Baddogg5 Baddogg5 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern California
Age: 61
Posts: 11,282
Thanks: 12,059
Thanked 22,103 Times in 7,458 Posts
Default

too much ammo.............No such thing unless you have to carry it on your back
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Baddogg5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 06:38 AM
surfcast's Avatar
surfcast surfcast is offline
SI vis pacem,para bellum
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 1,286
Thanked 693 Times in 437 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymudder08 View Post
How much is actually “enough”?
I’ve seen the 1000rd per rifle, a rifle and sidearm per person, etc.

Do you base it off the type of disaster you’re preparing for?

What calibers do you choose? I only have 22, 9, 556, and 270, though I don’t stock near as much for my 270 as its really just for hunting and not spray and pray lol. Should I add another caliber? I have thought about adding a 308 precision rifle, but to build what I want is pretty expensive for me to be satisfied and not regret it. Not to mention precision ammo is expensive compared to 55gr fmj.

What type of bullet would you want your stocked ammo to have? Fmj, soft point, hollow point, etc
Buy as much as you can, for each gun you own . As long as it does not draw away from your other preps ! Food ,water ,TP , first Aid you will use these
things before you shoot your first round.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2020, 12:58 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,304
Thanks: 5,485
Thanked 6,650 Times in 3,452 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddogg5 View Post
too much ammo.............No such thing unless you have to carry it on your back
Yup. Lol. Good point. Not interested in humping 1000rds in a ruck unless it is 22lr .

The pack animal in pic below can carry 2000 to 2500 rds of 7.62x51mm.for an extended period of time and over a wide range of different terrain. ( Wiferandom get sister raise, train, and maintain several) Spare/ backup long guns included.

Invaluable part of the overall logistics strategy. A few reasons listed below.......

1. Transport supplies to create a new cache.

2. Once our work is done, they make it much easier to move a downed elk out of the mountains.

3. They have come in handy to move injured folks back to civilization.

4. My wife and her sister also cross train a few as draft animals. ( Pull carts, sleds, and farming implements for examples)

4. They can swim .

5. Worst case, they are edible, although any goats/ cattle that may be traveling with us would see the cooking fires first....lol.

Note: They did better than expected via a recent trip into the mountains in very cold weather with heavy snowfall.

There are also disadvantages, but I will admit that the advantages outweigh them.

Since SHTF / TEOTWAWKI could encompass things other than combat/ hunting to survive, they would come in handy to move trade items to " market " once rebuild becomes a possibility ( looters, thieves, etc...liquidated so to speak) . Ammo aint edible....lol.

I have no issue trading crops/ livestock for guns/ ammo if it meets my requirements.With that said, a few other items would be higher on the trade list than guns/ ammo.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pack set 4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	297854  
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net