Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,055 Times in 586 Posts
Default New to Archery - Arrows?

Advertise Here

Good evening all,

A few weeks ago I went to our local archery range and tried my hand with a compound bow for the first time. I gotta say that I was impressed and enjoyed the experience enough to want to get into the use of a compound bow myself.

It took me a bit of reading and study to figure out Draw Length, Axle -to-Axle length, Riser Height, etc., and to figure out about what kind of specs I needed for a guy my size, age, etc.

I decided that I wanted a quality bow but I donít have the resources for a top of the line, brand new carbon bow so I ended up with a used Hoyt Maxxis 31 that seemed to fit the bill.

So as I was looking around on line for target arrows I noticed that they come in different lengths. Look as I did at several more websites I can find no guidelines on what kind of arrows should be used with the Maxxis 31. For now practice arrows are fine, but down the road I want to look at some hunting arrows (yes, I know they are slower) for a possible foray into the local woods for some deer and/or elk. Any input into the target or hunting arrows would be more than welcome.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 11:32 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,507 Times in 11,530 Posts

what do you have your draw weight set at and draw length? I use easton carbon fiber feather fletch with my Darton wheelie, also what release are you using out of curiosity
Old 02-01-2020, 11:46 PM
I say I say

Thanked 1,435 Times in 543 Posts

A good archery shop will set you up. I think you will find carbon arrows the most popular for compound bows. Arrows should be cut to length. Target arrows should be the same arrows you use for hunting...just make sure they fly well (as in everything is tuned) with broadheads. I don't know what you mean by slower...there really shouldn't be any difference between the arrows.
Am glad you are getting into it...but I bet before long you will have a recurve and longbow hanging in your man cave.....
The Following User Says Thank You to munik For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 AM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 2,001 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
Good evening all,

A few weeks ago I went to our local archery range and tried my hand with a compound bow for the first time. I gotta say that I was impressed and enjoyed the experience enough to want to get into the use of a compound bow myself.

It took me a bit of reading and study to figure out Draw Length, Axle -to-Axle length, Riser Height, etc., and to figure out about what kind of specs I needed for a guy my size, age, etc.

I decided that I wanted a quality bow but I donít have the resources for a top of the line, brand new carbon bow so I ended up with a used Hoyt Maxxis 31 that seemed to fit the bill.

So as I was looking around on line for target arrows I noticed that they come in different lengths. Look as I did at several more websites I can find no guidelines on what kind of arrows should be used with the Maxxis 31. For now practice arrows are fine, but down the road I want to look at some hunting arrows (yes, I know they are slower) for a possible foray into the local woods for some deer and/or elk. Any input into the target or hunting arrows would be more than welcome.
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Hadn't really shot since I was a teenager. New compound bows are like some sort of space ray-gun compared to what they were when I had last used them. I got a Bowtech RPM 360 and worked with a local archery store to get the arrows, etc. You'll use the same arrows as you train with, you can just put broad heads or whatever on them. Need to make sure you re-adjust then as they are heavier and will fly a bit different. But bottom line, have fun! It's pretty amazing. My bow is so fast...my dad had a Bear compound of some sort that had draw up to 110lbs. I remember being so proud when I could finally draw that thing back. But now...my RPM 360 fires arrows WAY faster than that old bow did and at only 70lbs! Pretty cool stuff.

I'd just recommend working with an archery store in your area...preferably one of the smaller shops where they actually do work on them in addition to selling, instead of one of the big box stores. They seem more willing to consult and work with you both before and after a purchase. Just IMHO.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:18 AM
Flintlock Shooter

Thanked 6,311 Times in 3,097 Posts

Personally, I like the tried & tested Easton XX75 aluminum arrows.

When I chose an arrow, durability is number one for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post: