Water filter reco needed for Bahamas - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 01-24-2020, 02:03 PM
Dismember

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,162 Posts

Advertise Here

As a previous customer, I can tell you that they are not that nice. Yep, I need to be a pretend-customer of that "200" device.

The guy has 2012 strips. They are a simple strip that turns different shades of purple, 1-10 ppm, and I believe that they measure free chlorine, but that's a deduction only.

I know his strips aren't good, because my sealed strips aren't any good. I was pretty sure they were expired, since it seems that the smallest thing they are selling now are the village-type models. The test strip thing killed the individual pen. Plus, there were theft rings stealing them to get the valuable metals inside! Too bad, they do some things that are unexpected, with toxins especially.

I haven't found any kind of device that does an actual low measurement of free chlorine, if it is free chlorine.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 58,614 Times in 20,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
As a previous customer, I can tell you that they are not that nice. Yep, I need to be a pretend-customer of that "200" device.

The guy has 2012 strips. They are a simple strip that turns different shades of purple, 1-10 ppm, and I believe that they measure free chlorine, but that's a deduction only.

I know his strips aren't good, because my sealed strips aren't any good. I was pretty sure they were expired, since it seems that the smallest thing they are selling now are the village-type models. The test strip thing killed the individual pen. Plus, there were theft rings stealing them to get the valuable metals inside! Too bad, they do some things that are unexpected, with toxins especially.

I haven't found any kind of device that does an actual low measurement of free chlorine, if it is free chlorine.
https://www.hannainst.com/hi701-free-chlorine.html

Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Takes AAA batteries.

If it works as illustrated it should pay for itself by the time you bought your 5th bottle of good 1-10ppm strips.

If you have several Miox this might be worth it for you.

Only problem is the need for reagent. Seems you just can't get away from a consumable.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,613 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Steripen is a real PIA to use, but is about the only portable purification device that uses no chemicals or filtration.

It is also recognized by FEMA and the CDC as a separate option from chemical or filtration.

It's a problematic standard, but it is a recognized standard.
I didn't feel it was a PIA at all to use, as long as you have access to batteries. Stick it in the water, push the button and wait until the light goes out and you're done.

I used my daily for 6 months while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail a few years ago. I wouldn't recommend it for groups since it only does 1 quart at a time. For groups I would recommend Aquamira.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 03:53 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post
I didn't feel it was a PIA at all to use, as long as you have access to batteries. Stick it in the water, push the button and wait until the light goes out and you're done.

I used my daily for 6 months while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail a few years ago. I wouldn't recommend it for groups since it only does 1 quart at a time. For groups I would recommend Aquamira.
My bad. I was referring to its need for specialized supplies, not its actual operation. Poor word choice on my part.

I might worry a bit about the use of chlorine if my raw water source was near an urban area because of petrochem pollution.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
The Steripen is cool, but it really doesn't do much at once. I'd like a BIG giant Steripen. For cheap!

Zeke, I've never heard of a reagent with a MIOX. ??
No, the reagent is for the chlorine tester I linked to. All chlorine tests use a reagent. The strips have dry reagent on them. The liquid testing using light needs a reagent dye to measure the water. That $50 tester has you mix a bit of reagent in a vial with the water you just chlorinated. The light in the tester computes the ppm. You really can't get a small chlorine tester that directly measures the chlorinated water without needing some kind of reagent help.

We had a thread going ages ago about building a larger salt chlorine generator. JustMe11 seems to be able to find it when the subject occasionally comes back up.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,001 Times in 1,785 Posts

Totally back on topic: You going for a few days, in and out, a few weeks or how long? Going on a plane or boat. Cruise maybe? If a cruise, eat only on the boat and only drink bottled water or beer on the islands.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 PM

I'm a little late to the party but you should consider water filters that are certified to the NSF P248 standard. Some filters say they meet the standard but that isn't enough. I can't find much on filters that are certified. It looks like the lifesaver Jerrican and MSR Guardian are the only 2 I can find at the moment but I'm just starting to educate myself on the topic.

Here is the best review of filters with real lab tests I could find. Perhaps one of these will be good enough for your trip. https://www.wideners.com/blog/water-...-for-survival/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsmol For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 05:58 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmol View Post
I'm a little late to the party but you should consider water filters that are certified to the NSF P248 standard. Some filters say they meet the standard but that isn't enough. I can't find much on filters that are certified. It looks like the lifesaver Jerrican and MSR Guardian are the only 2 I can find at the moment but I'm just starting to educate myself on the topic.

Here is the best review of filters with real lab tests I could find. Perhaps one of these will be good enough for your trip. https://www.wideners.com/blog/water-...-for-survival/
The article is fine, but your post is too focused on finding the perfect all-in-one piece of gear.

True, there are very few options where one piece of gear gets the job done right.

Preppers are better served by understanding the process, not getting lost in a gear hunt.

If all you do is gear hunt, you are in trouble when gear breaks down. Understanding the process gives you the resiliency to maintain a supply of safe water.

Safe Water = Sediment Removal > Biological Remediation > Toxin Removal.

There are plenty of gear options that do one of those 3 steps properly. If you have each of the 3 steps covered properly you have safe water as your output. You can also intervene if one of those steps fails to get back to a safe water system. Don't hang all your surety on one piece of gear because accidents and wear will eventually leave you without a safe water supply.

Of note: If you live in CONUS then quit worrying about viral water threats. I've covered this myth here too many times to count.

Last edited by cannonfoddertfc; 02-14-2020 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,132 Times in 3,494 Posts

Well from my experience living part time as an expat in the Caribbean.....
Save room in your luggage for sun screen and shorts. Dont bother with all the water purification gear

It s not hurricane season down here in the Caribbean .....
Stores have plenty of bottled water.... stock up when you arrive... and have fun.
If you have water left over....donate it to your neighbors
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 10:48 PM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,167 Posts

Water filter, Bahamas, On-topic....
The Following User Says Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post: