Protective gear to go out ***MERGED HERE*** - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: What PPE do you wear for shopping?
Mask and Gloves 11 34.38%
Mask 2 6.25%
Gloves 3 9.38%
Use Nothing 10 31.25%
Hunkered down...does not apply. 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Advertise Here

agree Sonya-picking up up our gear from fire stations etc at designated times/days would have been better---they should have prepared for this kind of outbreak long ago. Without bringing politics into this(Ha) I do think Trump lost my vote over his inept ability to take charge correctly of this disaster. Anyway, yeah the gloves and masks will start being a thing of the future if this thing doesn't control itself.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jelazar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,614 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freja View Post
They are still mask shaming in Oregon. I wonít go out until they start thinking for themselves.
Fortunately, Oregon has a very low infected rate right now.

A little over 800 while WA State has over 6,000 and CA has almost 11,000.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 AM

Diluted povidone iodine mouthwash and nasal spray shortly before/after exposure may have some protective benefits, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3563092

Some DIY instructions on making it:
https://www.nycdentist.com/blog/cv/
https://survivalblog.com/post-exposu...rotocol-jj-mi/
The Following User Says Thank You to LevelOne For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,060 Posts
Default POLL: Coronavirus armor for shopping...what PPE do you wear?

When you venture out for supplies, work, etc, what PPE do you wear?
Old 04-03-2020, 05:40 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 8,441 Times in 3,322 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Getting ready to head out for a Commissary run. Mask and gloves.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,090 Times in 4,529 Posts

Why is there now a poll on my thread?! I didn't post that...

But, it should have a category of : gloves, mask, eye protection...
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post

Guessing because of the merge
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Bug-In Prepper

When I venture out, it will be with N95 mask and goggles .. IF I can find the goggles! I used to have a pair, but can't find them.

If I pitched them, I'll be kicking myself all the way to the store.

It occurs to me, I should keep bins with risk-specific equipment (one for earthquake-only, one for wildfire-only, one for pandemic-only, etc) so I'll know where they are without having to keep them mingled in with the rest of the prep-stuff. Then I'd be able to find my goggles, or know for sure that I had none.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,825 Times in 23,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post

After the merge, the composite has a new primary purpose.

Nomad the Changeling. Went from explorer to Find new life and sterilize imperfections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ch...riginal_Series)

I wore neoprene gloves last grocery run I made.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,090 Times in 4,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Guessing because of the merge
Didn't see that...I just go to my last post, so I don't lose track
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Building an EDC/bag for worker in grocery store

I work in a local grocery store. We are open and I have to report to work because we are deemed an essential business. (Never thought when I applied for this job that I would be such a vital part of society). Anyways, I work in the produce department and I am in the thick of people all day. I do try to minimize my time out on the floor at all possible and when I am out on the floor I always keep my cart and various boxes around me to creat a perimeter of sorts so customers will keep their distance (people do not or refuse to comply with social distancing mandates put in place Iíve noticed). Everyday, even before the virus, I noticed how people react and their mannerisms when being out in public. Honestly most people in society are just flat disgusting lol. Licking their fingers for example before opening a bag or sampling grapes before buying. Just plain nastiest. But what is really scary isnít Iím still noticing people doing these practices while this virus is ramping up. Very concerning to say the least. For me I have never been so terrified to go to work before in my life.

Anyways as I mentioned before I do take precautions daily. I have always double gloved even before the virus (see comment above about peopleís manners and you will know why). I also am starting to wear a face mask to work. I am always washing my hands with the proper 20 second rule, if not longer, when I return from off the floor or changing gloves. I am trying to put a kit together though that I can take to work with me as an EDC virus kit/emergency virus bag. I know about the essentials; mask, gloves, hand sanitizer. But what else would you guys reecommend I take to work with me in this kit while I work in a grocery store?
The Following User Says Thank You to Halfast84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 4,955 Times in 1,601 Posts
Default Protective gear to go out ***MERGED HERE***

The question is what do you use to protect yourself when you go out.

The debate of if you should go out has been covered multiple times in other threads, please take it there.

Thank you
Old 04-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfast84 View Post
...But what else would you guys recommend I take to work with me in this kit while I work in a grocery store?
Thank you for working. Yes, you are essential.
You should have a bar of soap, goggles unvented and at least an N95 mask and gloves. Wash your hands after shift. When you get home, clothes in washing machine, and take a shower. Shoes off at the door. Pretend it is everywhere and act accordingly. Again, thank you.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:11 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,301 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfast84 View Post
I work in a local grocery store. We are open and I have to report to work because we are deemed an essential business. (Never thought when I applied for this job that I would be such a vital part of society). Anyways, I work in the produce department and I am in the thick of people all day. I do try to minimize my time out on the floor at all possible and when I am out on the floor I always keep my cart and various boxes around me to creat a perimeter of sorts so customers will keep their distance (people do not or refuse to comply with social distancing mandates put in place Iíve noticed). Everyday, even before the virus, I noticed how people react and their mannerisms when being out in public. Honestly most people in society are just flat disgusting lol. Licking their fingers for example before opening a bag or sampling grapes before buying. Just plain nastiest. But what is really scary isnít Iím still noticing people doing these practices while this virus is ramping up. Very concerning to say the least. For me I have never been so terrified to go to work before in my life.

Anyways as I mentioned before I do take precautions daily. I have always double gloved even before the virus (see comment above about peopleís manners and you will know why). I also am starting to wear a face mask to work. I am always washing my hands with the proper 20 second rule, if not longer, when I return from off the floor or changing gloves. I am trying to put a kit together though that I can take to work with me as an EDC virus kit/emergency virus bag. I know about the essentials; mask, gloves, hand sanitizer. But what else would you guys reecommend I take to work with me in this kit while I work in a grocery store?
Take multi-masks to change into, keep a biohazard plastic bag to put worn gloves and mask into with a tie off, I would also keep some form of sanitizer cleaner next to me....in case someone coughing comes into area to disinfect. I wear my hair in a manner that it is off my face. I would also change my clothes before getting into the car to go home which also goes into your biohazard bag to be decon....if possible and wash up. Make sure you are following the correct procedure to take off mask and glove without getting the virus on you. I also take paper towels with me in my kit, never know when you may need them.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 57,635 Times in 13,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkciar View Post
When I venture out, it will be with N95 mask and goggles .. IF I can find the goggles! I used to have a pair, but can't find them.

If I pitched them, I'll be kicking myself all the way to the store.

It occurs to me, I should keep bins with risk-specific equipment (one for earthquake-only, one for wildfire-only, one for pandemic-only, etc) so I'll know where they are without having to keep them mingled in with the rest of the prep-stuff. Then I'd be able to find my goggles, or know for sure that I had none.
Head to your local motorcycle store. They should have lots of goggles.

Ski goggles too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Take multi-masks to change into, keep a biohazard plastic bag to put worn gloves and mask into with a tie off, I would also keep some form of sanitizer cleaner next to me....in case someone coughing comes into area to disinfect. I wear my hair in a manner that it is off my face. I would also change my clothes before getting into the car to go home which also goes into your biohazard bag to be decon....if possible and wash up. Make sure you are following the correct procedure to take off mask and glove without getting the virus on you. I also take paper towels with me in my kit, never know when you may need them.
The bio bag would be a great addition. Will probably just use a trash bag to put my clothes in. The mask I have is an n95 but I also bought a few of those fabric washable ones so I can easily change them if needed. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
Thank you for working. Yes, you are essential.
You should have a bar of soap, goggles unvented and at least an N95 mask and gloves. Wash your hands after shift. When you get home, clothes in washing machine, and take a shower. Shoes off at the door. Pretend it is everywhere and act accordingly. Again, thank you.
Thanks for the input! Will be adding a bottle of soap to my bag for sure! I have been doing a complete decontamination of my clothes and myself when I get home everyday. Wonít even let my gf or dogs touch me when I get in the door until I am clean and everything is cleaned and bagged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Halfast84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 01:45 PM
Ready when you are

Thanked 1,094 Times in 372 Posts

I wear a mask over an n95, gloves x 2, faceshield and gown...at work.

If I go out I wear regular clothes.

Gloves in public are silly, unless you have 10+ pairs on and take one layer off every time you touch something, you are accumulating pathogens on the gloves the exact same way your hands would. If that gloved hand touches something- like your phone, your groceries, your face, etc, then wearing gloves are no better than just washing your hands. The flimsy nitrile gloves are not meant to be worn more than a few minutes for things like exams and procedures.

An n95 is probably unnecessary in public, especially outside or in big ventilated grocery stores. In more confined areas (or patient exam rooms) around people coughing/sneezing without masks on is when they are a major benefit.

PPE misuse is pretty ridiculous right now. Saw a lady yesterday driving alone with a mask on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurtGummer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,825 Times in 23,269 Posts

Yup, I saw a couple of women driving with their masks on the other day.

Mind boggling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:59 PM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 186 Posts

Haha, it appears that my thread (Security loadout when going out) got merged into this one. While some folks say that there's no need to go out, the reality is that people still have a need to get prescriptions, baby formula, and top off their food preps. In addition to donning nitrile gloves, long sleeve shirt, long pants, & steel toe boots, for security I carry:

CCW 9mm
Gerber Paraframe folding knife
Medkit, mask, and EDC in backpack in car

If things get progressively worse, from a security standpoint, I may step up the pistol to the CZ along with a few magazines. Heck, if they get REALLY bad, I may start throwing on a level III vest. Things haven't been too crazy here in MS thus far, so hopefully the 'curve get's flattened' before they do.