Rice & Beans and thangs! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rice and beans tsitenha Food and water 57 02-19-2015 02:11 PM
Rice and beans, beans woozy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 11-07-2012 11:21 PM
rice and beans, beans and rice Mad Pole Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 66 08-05-2012 10:01 AM
How to season Rice & Beans Antiacus Recipes 24 08-31-2011 11:40 AM
Sams out of rice and beans RockinGLock Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 08-03-2010 02:06 PM
Dry beans and rice,Question TXak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 11-22-2009 09:38 PM
Rice and beans shawn Recipes 13 08-03-2009 07:24 PM
Beans and Rice ClovisMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 12-20-2008 07:49 PM
beans and rice riverrat Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 02-04-2008 05:06 PM
Beans and Rice bluefool Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2008 11:34 PM

Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 93,045 Times in 24,499 Posts
Default Rice & Beans and thangs!

Advertise Here

Like most of us here I have lots of stored white rice and dried beans. I have several variety of beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans etc.

I have been experimenting with different ways to "spice" up this combination of what will no doubt be a very common SHTF meal. Adding soy sauce, dehydrated onions and other spices.

I would like to hear about your recipes or ideas using rice and beans and adding a few other thangs!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Hiker

Dried onions,stock,dried veggies,lipton soup mix,leftover anything,can of tomatoes(with any variety of flavors like chili ready,stewed,onions and peppers)Cavenders Greek Seasoning,crab boil seasoning(throw in some dried shrimp)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zayder06 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Hiker

I also know folks that like rice with milk and sugar but I never heard of adding beans to the mix,maybe someone can experiment
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zayder06 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Trapper

A little meat can go a long way when added to rice & beans. I've grilled a single chicken breast, sliced it thin, and added it a pot of rice & beans to make lunch portions that I freeze. I can easily get a couple weeks worth of take to work lunches. Spam works well too, but I can't get it to slice quite as thin.

We grew several types of hot peppers last year and ended up dehydrating a lot. Those work great too. Sun dried or dehydrated tomato slices can add some flavor as well.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to danger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Titleless

Thanked 1,243 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayder06 View Post
I also know folks that like rice with milk and sugar but I never heard of adding beans to the mix,maybe someone can experiment
Why experiment? That rice was a staple vegetable to my hillbilly family. It is still the base for my food preps. Goes with almost anything, fruit, veggie, grain, bean, meat, or just by itself. Afterall, 2 billion Asians can't be entirely wrong, can they?

As for the beans, I try to always use cornmeal in some way during a bean meal, cornbread, hoecakes, etc, just to help flush out the nutrients. They do go together taste-wise as well.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Highplains For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Prepper in Training

Well, here's two we like:

Rice (cold) w/milk, sugar and cinnamon. Really good for breakfast or even desert.
Rice (Hot) w/carrots & peas & a bit of butter (we have powered butter). Add whatever meat you like.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoePrep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,077 Posts

I keep a large supply of gravy mix packs and dried onions. Can get em cheap,a must for rice&gravy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanked 18,753 Times in 5,308 Posts

I've been trying to switch my eaters to brown rice. It's the exact same grain, with a little less of the healthy stuff milled away (like buying unbleached white flour instead of bleached white flour.) It has a pale tan color that will be disguised by anything else you do with the dish anyway.

Have to admit I am strange, I don't like the texture of beans, but a well-seasoned bean broth with a biscuit or some toast and I am very happy. When I need the health benefits of beans, I will often just stir in some chopped up bbq brisket or something else with alot of flavor and it's own texture to enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 AM
The Cynical Girl

Thanked 38,948 Times in 9,368 Posts

Nothing beats plain old Louisiana red beans and rice, add the hot sauce to your taste.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NightShadow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanked 18,753 Times in 5,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Nothing beats plain old Louisiana red beans and rice, add the hot sauce to your taste.
Can TOO beat it! Cajun fried turkey, with some Louisiana style bread pudding for dessert! (But that is my opinion, it is what suits my tastes ... mmmm, now I have to figure out how to can the cajun fried turkey.)
The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 13,065 Times in 5,214 Posts

Like the posters above, I keep a ton of dried spices in the pantry. Really wakes up dishes.
Lots of salt and pepper. Herbs. Dried soup mixes. I'm not really adding much to the lists already posted, just emphasizing the need to keep seasonings on hand.
Oh, and chicken-beef bullion cubes. .. a hundred of each for starters.
I also like vegetable stock cubes.
Dried onions, onion and garlic powder.
I visit the local dollar store and head for the spice racks. lol
Dried beans and rice are the bomb.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,150 Posts

sugar and butter with rice for breakfast............yyuummm, probably good too without the butter.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to neovenus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Target Shooter

Dried mushrooms, rehydrate in some hot water and use the water to boil your rice. Makes a good, "dirty rice". Add some onion, bell pepper your good to go.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nately For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,869 Posts

rice pudding a standard in the house where I grew up, raisins, milk, eggs,sugar, vanilla and nutmeg added to cooked rice, baked till the eggs firmed into custard... awesome chilled or eaten hot. there must be a thousand varieties of recipes for this old old favorite.
Beans of any sort from navy to pinto, black, or green beans... cooked and then made into a salad with italian dressing, western dressing, or wine vinegar with chopped cooked potatoes, onions, green peppers, corn, cooked carrots, whatever root veggies you want to add. chill and eat... add ham for another flavor. A thousand combinations possible.
tastes best after a day or two when the flavors can mingle.
Beans smushed with peanut butter to make a paste and spread on toast
Beans cooked then drained, buttered with salt and pepper, combine various types or leave them plain.
Rice with chicken broth and tiny macaroni such as alphabets or rizzoto... brown the macaroni with a bit of butter,
add a bit of broth, add cooked rice and stir till the rice is sizzling... rice-a-roni stuff, but home made. Add parsley, celery, onion, sage, whatever sounds good. it is fun to experiment.
add tomato or tomato sauce and brown sugar or molasses for a whole different slant on things with cooked beans or rice. Ham or chicken, pork, all go good with this. add ginger or curry for a real nice little "snap' to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Waiting...Watching..

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,051 Posts

Curry powder. Perfect for when your meat is less than five stars (Radioactive Racoon)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hairy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,029 Times in 451 Posts

What about baked beans, 3 beans salad with vinagar and oil, or add some canned ham, or make bean tostada's, or fresh cooked beans added to a vinagrette with fresh veggies and croutons, cheese. You can make bean soup, minestoni, chili, bean burritoes, enchiladas, taco pizza. The list goes on and on. Add beans as a filler to make meat go further or in place of.
Basically if you got sugar, flour, spices, grains, lard or oil, shortening, vinegar the sky's the limit to your creativity.

Go to a recipe web site and do a search for bean recipes, rice and grain recipes and print out the recipes that look interesting to you and inventory the add ins to make them to your preps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eqgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM

It would be easier to ask,"What can I NOT add to rice?" I live in Arkansas and we are the rice capitol of the U.S.. Cheap and versatile, just like I like it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pinstripe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,201 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
It would be easier to ask,"What can I NOT add to rice?" I live in Arkansas and we are the rice capitol of the U.S.. Cheap and versatile, just like I like it!
I'm with you on that. I am capable of making any kind of concoction in the kitchen. Sometimes it really turns out good, other times, eh...

I keep a very large supply of seasoning on hand. Many mixes and different flavors. Another good idea would be to grow your own herbs. Easy to add to any dish and instantly create a little different flavor to keep thing interesting.
Basil - many varieties with different flavors
Cilantro - goes great with rice
Parsley -
Rosemary -
etc...

I also am big on buying the seasoned rice and rice and beans packs. Most of them come in mylar bags and will last several years without doing anything extra. So many different flavors and varieties are available - the flavors range from Mexican to buttered herb to Thai and so on. Even the yellow saffron rice is real good.. On many occasions I have eaten 3-4 yr old packs of seasoned rice dishes and they were perfectly fine.

It's really not that much more expensive to stock up on things like that. Especially when you find them on sale.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Prepared

Powdered chili seasoning. Not chili powder, but the complete, whole shebang -- the stuff you just dump in with tomatoes and beef and make chili. The dry powder keeps darned near forever, near as I can tell (I've eaten it at 13 years past it's "expiration" date and it was fine).

Goes great with rice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sgt.Sausage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Sometimes I like to add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, onion powder, and garlic powder to my beans towards the end of the cooking time. Gives it a teriyaki flavor that goes great with rice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy Beechbum For This Useful Post: