Things You Now Know You Should Have Done Or Gotten? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2020, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 34,755 Times in 9,897 Posts
Default Things You Now Know You Should Have Done Or Gotten?

Advertise Here

Been sitting here most of last night and this early morning going through things that I was planning on doing but hadn't gotten around to yet but was planning on later in the year to do or not until next year.

My gut instinct was telling me to get this stuff earlier in the year but put it off for 1 reason or another. So, what are some of the things your gut was telling you to do but you put it off and now you're not for sure if it will happen.

I already had the garden started, got my chickens last year but no rooster, got all my canning supplies that I think I would need for this garden coming in, or thought I did.

I have about 12 dozen canning jars which I thought would be good enough and then I would start stocking more back. I guess I should have stocked more because the canning jars if you can get them are 3 to 4 dollars higher a case now in some places but you can't get them in others or they are outrageously higher.

Because I am disabled I can get a free hunting and fishing license but i've been putting the hunting off because I don't have the strength or stamina to go hunting all day. So I doubt I will get that but was planning on getting the fishing license.

Now, not allowed to do that at all. At least here in my county at the moment anyway. My mom and I both love to fish and looking the last few days have realized don't have a lot of fish in the freezer.

Have a small order of chicks coming in this week, just 6 of them, all roosters. That's all I could get because meat chickens, basically all chickens are either gone or none shipping out until May or June. Don't know what will be going on by then so I went ahead and ordered these. Paid a little extra but that was better than nothing. 1 rooster will keep for my hens so we can raise our own and the other 5 will be going in the freezer or canning, not for sure which on that yet.

Also, checked my tuna situation and didn't have as many cans as I thought I had so will be going back to getting those when I can. Managed to buy a 4 and a half lb can of tuna here a few days ago for a pretty good price off of Amazon, checked yesterday and they had raised the price by 8 dollars, caught that just in time looks like.

Another thing I was planning on was getting some meat rabbits. A buck and a couple of does but put that off because I didn't want to get too much going at once with the garden, more chickens, etc. Now i'm kicking myself for not following my gut instinct and getting them. Plus a couple more rain barrels. Again didn't follow my gut and should have. Other than that we're pretty good for the next 9 months.

What are y'all noticing that y'all don't have that your gut told you to get or do?
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 07:11 AM

I realized we depend on the freezer way to much. The power company had to move some utilities and shut the power off for just six hours but it got me thinking, what if we lost power for a long period of time?
I need to start growing things in my garden that we actually eat and can be preserved opposed to the unique and fun to try stuff. Things like beans, corn, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, etc.
I too am disabled and have a lifetime hunting and fishing license, I just need to take advantage of them.
My chickens are doing well. I am building a new coop this year for them.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to R3bauer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 10:27 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,159 Times in 897 Posts

Last year I didn't do gardens spring or fall because I had a list of somewhat big projects. Things I had wanted doing for some time but had kept putting off. My reasoning was that if I had to maintain the gardens I would have less time and energy to do these projects, and also because I just wanted them done and over with, once and for all. Some of them I had been putting off for years. So I got most of them done.

Conversely, my home grown food supplies are getting low, which I figured would happen and it did. But I am doing gardens this year and have already planted some things with others going in the ground this week, rain or shine, mosquitoes or no.

I am hoping that now I have finished all the big, heavy duty type projects last year I will have time, money and energy to devote to growing food this year. I still have projects, but they are mostly small stuff.

If there is anything I wish I had bought more of is medical type stuff. I have what should be adequate, but if I became seriously impaired it could get iffy.

And I wish I had bought more clothing. Again, I have adequate, but if I couldn't go out and buy clothing for a couple of years, I might be in trouble.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 PM
Squared away like a donut

Thanked 1,152 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3bauer View Post
I realized we depend on the freezer way to much. The power company had to move some utilities and shut the power off for just six hours but it got me thinking, what if we lost power for a long period of time?
I need to start growing things in my garden that we actually eat and can be preserved opposed to the unique and fun to try stuff. Things like beans, corn, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, etc.
I too am disabled and have a lifetime hunting and fishing license, I just need to take advantage of them.
I went through this during 2009 ice storm. No power for three weeks. Freezer was full of food. We were able to preserve the food for a while because it was cold enough outside that we just moved the food out there. Once it started to warm up though...well, I fired up the grill and invited all of our friends and family over for a massive feast. We had a generator, but ran out of gas for it and just said screw it, and cooked most of the food. We learned a lot from that ice storm. We now keep more gas on hand for the generator, and invested in some small scale solar for things like the freezer. Would love to be full solar powered, but itís very expensive here and just havenít forced it into the budget. Maybe within the next year if the economy doesnít completely collapse, but for now, if I can keep a few appliances and lights running, Iím okay with that.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ole Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3bauer View Post
We had a small earthquake here in Utah about a month ago. My biggest item on my mind is a generator and I have been doing TONS of research about what might be a suitable option. I keep looking at a Westinghouse iGen4500DF

My biggest issue if sourcing one that is reliable, has enough power (main things to power are a standard residential fridge and a stand alone freezer), and one that will not break the bank.

I don't mind spending the money for one, but finding the right value is hard (for me at least) I would love the 7000 series Honda, but at 4k, that seems very step for a generator that might see only a few uses. ( I have never needed one for over 20 years in my state)

So, that is my biggest item I am currently looking at.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IYAPYSNF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:22 PM

Can’t beat the Honda’s for smaller scale. They’re expensive, but like their cars, the tend to run forever. If you want something bigger, like something to run your entire house on, Generac makes a good product. They too are pricey, but you get what you pay for. For a few appliances, I would recommend the Honda.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Grunt View Post
Canít beat the Hondaís for smaller scale. Theyíre expensive, but like their cars, the tend to run forever. If you want something bigger, like something to run your entire house on, Generac makes a good product. They too are pricey, but you get what you pay for. For a few appliances, I would recommend the Honda.
I have looked at the EU2200i, of course and the EG2800i

I have also considered the EU now (this should be enough to power the fridge and freezer, but not at the same time) and then down the road get the EU companion and use them in parallel. Seems that could be a very good option as they would seem to offer 3600 running watts of power when paralleled....

decisions decisions lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IYAPYSNF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:47 PM
Yup

Thanked 1,541 Times in 443 Posts

Not enough milk and chickens.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pabstman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabstman View Post
Not enough milk and chickens.
I am really going to look into chickens once this covid mess is over.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IYAPYSNF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYAPYSNF View Post
Same. Iíve been stalling on getting them, worried I wouldnít be able to take care of them. My job keeps me rather busy, and I already have so much to take care of around here I didnít think I really needed one more. I have #10 cans of powdered eggs, and they are fine, but they arenít the same as fresh eggs, and you canít cook powdered eggs over easy or sunny side up. I need chickens!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ole Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Grunt View Post
Same. Iíve been stalling on getting them, worried I wouldnít be able to take care of them. My job keeps me rather busy, and I already have so much to take care of around here I didnít think I really needed one more. I have #10 cans of powdered eggs, and they are fine, but they arenít the same as fresh eggs, and you canít cook powdered eggs over easy or sunny side up. I need chickens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IYAPYSNF View Post
Chickens are very easy and are inexpensive once the initial cost is over. I have 9 at the moment and get about 7-9 eggs daily in the spring, summer and fall. I let the production fall off in the winter naturally. The biggest expense with chickens getting set up is the coop, but even that don't have to be expensive. I built mine out of cattle panels and tarps, it survived two Iowa winters. I am upgrading to a more permanent style coop just because I want to. I am no expert but I am willing to talk and offer any kind of help I can.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to R3bauer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,898 Times in 5,704 Posts

More masks-I knew this was coming and began preparing for it at home and work. What I didn't understand was duration. While I should have enough N95's for the duration, both at home and work, I should have gotten ONLY the vented sort, and maybe even more so I could donate more. I didn't think the surgical masks were all that valuable so I got hundreds, some of which I've donated. At the prices they were, I could have picked up thousands and they'd have been used.

Disinfectant wipes. I ordered them with plenty of time at work, but they procrastinated, waiting on others to order them. Then when they ordered them they were unavailable. I had more than enough for our needs, but it's turning out that I'm giving them to a nurse I know so she has enough. I didn't go way, way out on buying them as they do go bad, just sitting around. I've opened a few tubs that were dried out. But this was preps for months, not years, and I saw it coming. I should have ordered more much sooner for home.

Disinfectant Spray-I definitely had a reversal in this one. I ordered some for work, regularly do, but the amount we need is tremendous. We'll fall behind in a few weeks on this one. For personal use, I've taken to spraying iso alc. I'm hoping I have enough of that.

Hand sanitizer-At work and home, seems to be enough. I've not even dug our a half used gallon bottle that's somewhere, I am regularly using another one and I should make it at home. At work we have what maybe enough. I've given away over a gallon of the stuff.

Toilet paper-I always have a lot on hand. Running out of toilet paper is silly as it's inexpensive and stores forever. So I simply ordered a bit more in January. I had enough to give away a lot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:42 AM

We keep the pantry for "just in case" but we didn't upgrade for our situation until Feb (more kids in the house). We also rely way too much on the freezer and were starting to run low since our last full shop was almost a month ago. I managed to get a slot in walmart pickup to help with that (I refuse to go in if I don't have to). We'll slowly start ramping up making things from scratch and stop relying on the freezer for much, other than protein. I've got canned food, but I didn't want to dig into that if I didn't have to yet. I'm more worried about the food supply having issues than anything else right now.

We've got surgical masks and such, but only about 15 N95's and just 4 new N100 cartridges with another 2 on limited lifespan (read: been open for a while). Not happy about that, but there's not much we can do about it these days - thank the lord they're reusable in this situation. Maybe in a few months we can stock up a little more. My husband gets upset about minor cuts needing to be cleaned and covered up immediately, but refuses to wear a mask or respirator at work. That just upsets me to no end. Eventually it'll be required.

We've got plenty of TP, lysol and other items. I did buy a gallon of disinfectant last week, but that's just to help out since lysol is such a commodity right now. Just topping off since this is going to keep going for a while.

Garden is started, as long as I can keep my dog out of it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canningmom42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 46,690 Times in 13,654 Posts

I've been keeping a list of those sort of things since this started. I figure, at least this should be a learning experience.

Here's some of the things I plan on getting after things return to something like normal.

-Some extra sanitation/cleaning supplies to lay back. Yes a box of masks and a few boxes of gloves (like most people I imagine), but not a lot. We had enough for us, but we did not have enough to give away to everyone we would have liked. Next time, if there is a next time, I want to be able to distribute them to everyone in my circle of family/friends.

-Powdered milk and eggs (if I don't get chickens). It's simply the most compact way to prep those things. We bought a bunch of evaporated milk when this all started, but because there is still water in it, it only really compacts the space by half and makes it shelf stable. With powdered milk you compact the space by 90%, and if you run the numbers, it's about the same price as evaporated milk, maybe even a little cheaper.

-Chickens. We've got room for them. 3 or 4 hens per person in our house would keep us in eggs pretty well from what I hear.

-More focus on water collection, power generation, cooking, and communication. One thought has been consistently going through my head throughout this: how much worse this would be if we lost utilities. We still have essentially unlimited water, unlimited cooking/heating ability, we had internet and phone service throughout. I need to get my rain collection setup operating, even if all it was used for was watering plants and animals. I have enough of a solar setup to run a sump pump and charge handheld radios/tablets, and some batteries for handheld flashlights. But not much else. Adding a few hundred more AH of capacity and a few more panels would expand the possibilities.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:53 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,159 Times in 897 Posts

More insect repellent. I have two cans of Cutter (I prefer it to Off) one is full and the other is half full.

Where I am, we have just this week begun our springtime mosquito epidemic. They are horrible right now, and I have to spray myself if going outside, even to let the poultry out of their pen. I gave up trying to spray my head (!!) and just bought some mosquito netting bags you put over your head. They're great. I have to go out later to the bank, and will probably stop at a grocery store somewhere. I WILL be buying more Cutter if I can find it. The mosquito plague will continue for at least a month.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 AM
I'M READY!!

Thanked 10,522 Times in 3,333 Posts

1- More construction materials. I usually keep a decent supply of lumber, screws and such for house projects but used up most of my supplies last fall when I built my new shed.

2- pony panel to the house for my generator. Because laying extension cords everywhere in a blackout just plain sucks.

3- a new chainsaw. Mine is finally giving up after 14 years of abuse. Hopefully I can squeak 1 more season out of it.

4- more alpaca poop for the garden. I still might be able to get some soon but it will depend on the demand. Lots more people out there looking to start a garden this year. Not a bad thing I suppose.

5- getting my ATV fixed. The front differential is cooked so I only have RWD for now. At least the winch still works so I can pull myself out of a tight spot if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to elliott264 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,505 Times in 2,260 Posts

I really did believe I had all the bases covered but realized some hepa filters would be nice to have on my windows. Try finding them right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:07 PM

I have always been in the "eat what you prep" camp. That is, about 1-2 months of canned, dried, and frozen things that go into most daily meals. I do have a couple weeks true emergency rations, but most of my pantry is fairly regular home menu items.

Now, I realize that having 6-12 months of staple ingredients is probably what I need to have. So going forward I am going to be stocking up a large amount of pioneer-style supplies that I can leave in reserve for a couple years before cooking and replacing.

And, as others have said: chickens and a kitchen garden. My town has been out of eggs for a month now as hordes from neighboring cities empty our grocery shelves.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HnG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott264 View Post
1- More construction materials. I usually keep a decent supply of lumber, screws and such for house projects but used up most of my supplies last fall when I built my new shed.

3- a new chainsaw. Mine is finally giving up after 14 years of abuse. Hopefully I can squeak 1 more season out of it.

5- getting my ATV fixed. The front differential is cooked so I only have RWD for now. At least the winch still works so I can pull myself out of a tight spot if need be.
Construction materials? Amen. I have the basics for existing projects, but if something went sideways I might be screwed. A few sheets of OSB, a pallet of cinder blocks, and more plumbing supplies are on my list, now.

I dont even have a chainsaw, and I really should. IMO, totally under-rated survival tool. I have tons of training and experience, and all the PPE, but no saw Even a small one would do.

I don't have an ATV, but I have a pretty badass truck...with no extra maintenance supplies, and only one jerry can. I can get to either of our family bugout locations, but just barely. Sigh.
The Following User Says Thank You to HnG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,230 Times in 510 Posts

Everything... more of everything. But at least the wife won't give me crap about it anymore.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post: