incredible thick questions on cyber security - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 AM
Hiker

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY
Default incredible thick questions on cyber security

Advertise Here

I am a dinosaur when it comes to the computer and its witchcraft workings. other than a sabretooth tiger fur jacket i am as far backwards as you can get.

I want to ask a couple of dumb questions just to confirm my own studies please

Start with Tor onion,
Once installed and one the computer, the best way to describe it to a thick idiot like me is at my end of the computer chain. I am in a rabbit hole burrow. i go in at one hole as one vpn name and number from my computer but when i come out the other end i have changed the computers name and number. A bit over simplified but there abouts.

Once out of the rabbit hole i can open and read emails on msn and the like, facebook and insta and forums like this too, as long as i know the pass words and email accounts. But the vpn has changed.

Thats about right yes??

Digital pictures next,
I am told that digital pictures carry loads of data with them.
How do i kill all the digital information that comes with it. if i use an old digital camera, it does not log any information and coordinates ect. but if i upload the photo into my computer the computer logs the details of cooridinates and date and time details automatically.

how do i sterilise digital pictures

last one is mobile phones;
if i get an old phone with no internet and digital anything just phones and texts, it can be government followed via the cell towers its connected too, but cant be found past that point once turned off. i realise when its next switched on it will reconnect again to the towers and its position logged again.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2020, 02:08 AM
Hiker

also whats the difference between a IO address and a VPN and if i change the vpn why is the ip still reckonised
Old 02-18-2020, 07:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,230 Posts

VPN encrypts your data at your computer, and sends the encrypted data to a remote location. If I had VPN my data would leave my computer, travel encrypted to a computer server in, for example, Las Vegas, Nevada, then go to the web site I searched for. So if I search Brownells for AR-15 parts nobody knows but me.

if...

the VPN service people can be trusted. and how do you determine that? the same way you determine if anybody can be trusted: when they prove they can't be trusted.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2020, 11:51 AM

1. VPN encrypts all traffic that goes from your computer to the VPN server, so your Internet provider will not see what you do on the Internet. But, directly the VPN provider will at least store the logs of who connected to the network and from where. It is possible that they keep logs of what you did online - if the US government asks them, then in 99.9% of cases it will receive this data.
2. Even very old cameras still save EXIF ​​data. To clean EXIF ​​data, there are special software like EXIF ​​Purge, ExifCleaner or on a websites like verexif.com
3. Old phones can only be found approximately.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrHmuriy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:52 PM
Hiker

thank you both. maay i please ask

whats the difference between a "vpn" and "TOR" as i thought they did the same thing, buti was reading this week that in tor the computers IP address stays the same but in vpn it does not
Old 02-23-2020, 12:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,498 Times in 777 Posts

VPN is a straight safe passage from you to vpn provider and back. You know exactly where the other end of the VPN tunnel is and vice versa. Data between these two points is encrypted, ie. outsiders can't read it.

TOR is a mess of passages that looks like spaghetti and layered like an onion. The other end does not know who you are and cannot verify it. You don't know where the other end is and cannot find it with "conventional" means.

VPN is usable, if you want to use public wifi and there is possibility that someone is trying to sniff passwords at the same time. Also VPN is used to connect from home to office, to use company data.

TOR hides pretty much everything you do (until you hit a honeypot). Tor-websites you visit cannot identify you and you cannot know where they actually are, traffic between you two is routed thru multiple ways. Pretty handy if you are buying or dealing drugs or other illegal stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Target Shooter

Be aware that the TOR project received a bunch of money from various US agencies and foreign governments. I don't think I'd trust it with anything too important.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost792 For This Useful Post: