SHTF: Primary long gun and full size handgun or additional ammo for long gun instead? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 02-24-2020, 11:10 PM

Advertise Here

The P220 I have is a carry model. It fits under my left arm pit. The main reason for the 45ACP is that Ive shot it since the 60s. This is the first no 1911 Ive even owned. Got it 2010. Will never sell it.
The Mrs, and daughter get 357 mags. Both concealable, and more power than either of them need.

Rifles, the two ladies about and the grand daughter all have AR15s. All in 300 black out. My Daughter wanted bigger, but explaining they all use the same rounds made sense to her.

The 357 mag revolver and the 357 mag lever gun are a match made in Heaven.
The 100 yard range is limited, but CQC they are ideal.

My friend has both in 44 mag. A custom build hand gun, and a 1971 Winchester lever is great. Bring a recoil pad. The 44 mag hits your shoulder differently than any other round Ive ever shot.The range is well worth the kick.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 11:51 PM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Wire View Post
The P220 I have is a carry model.
I LOVE my P220. I went with the 4.4" barrel and the DAK trigger. Personally I didn't like the decocker, but that's just me. What holster do you use with yours?
The Following User Says Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,664 Times in 3,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
An interesting discussion/argument that's been going on for many years.

Colonel Cooper once addressed it saying that he could understand the reasoning of not issuing a pistol to everyone carrying a rifle, but that if he's going along, he wanted one.

I feel the same way.

One example of a " rifleman " not being issued a handgun ......

1 " rifleman" per fireteam is issued an M203/M320......so additional 40mm rds are much more important . ( This being the only organic indirect fire weapon that a fire team/ rifle squad has available) .

Another example: Rifleman who are issued other items such as M18, M136, or M72A2.

Being issued a handgun along with a rifle/ carbine is a very comforting feeling. With that said, additional ammo for primary weapon ( M67s via work related) ..... for the same weight as handgun with 1-2 spare mags is comforting.

FWIW, out of the 2 listed here, I have personally had both , and the additional ammo/ frags became more desirable asset via 100% of the time involved in direct fire engagements.

With that said...... A more " civilian ish " setting in a post TEOTWAWKI/ SHTF environment, and a better case can be made for a rifle/ hand gun combo instead of additional rifle ammo for same weight.

11B
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Wire View Post
The P220 I have is a carry model. It fits under my left arm pit. The main reason for the 45ACP is that Ive shot it since the 60s. This is the first no 1911 Ive even owned. Got it 2010. Will never sell it.

The Mrs, and daughter get 357 mags. Both concealable, and more power than either of them need.

Rifles, the two ladies about and the grand daughter all have AR15s. All in 300 black out. My Daughter wanted bigger, but explaining they all use the same rounds made sense to her.

The 357 mag revolver and the 357 mag lever gun are a match made in Heaven.

The 100 yard range is limited, but CQC they are ideal.

My friend has both in 44 mag. A custom build hand gun, and a 1971 Winchester lever is great. Bring a recoil pad. The 44 mag hits your shoulder differently than any other round Ive ever shot.The range is well worth the kick.

357mag revolver and lever gun are ideal in CQC that is the best joke Iíve heard all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,664 Times in 3,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
357mag revolver and lever gun are ideal in CQC that is the best joke Iíve heard all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. A lever action/ revolver combination is not even close to ideal for actual combat, much less close quarter combat.

As much as I am fond of lever guns and revolvers, there are much better to choose from for that kind of endeavor.

As for overall weight:

1. 357mag weighs roughly the same as 40snw and 7.62x39mm.

2. My 4inbbl Ruger GP100 ( loaded/ 6rds) weighs 41 ounces . 2.6 lbs for 6rds of 357mag......so it does not include any additional ammo.

3. My XD40 service = 40 oz with loaded 12rd magazine for a closer comparison. ( 40snw 185gr FMJ. )

Roughly twice the ammo for the same weight .....and utilizing a handgun that incorporates DBM.

4. ( Since 44mag was mentioned), loaded fodder weigh roughly the same as 7.62x51mm.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post: