Viking type light bearded hatchet review - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 03-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,974 Times in 3,567 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default Viking type light bearded hatchet review

Advertise Here

Here's a review I did on my hatchet Enjoy....

https://youtu.be/FgzXAdS1ULk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,237 Times in 774 Posts

Do you mind posting a link to where you bought it?
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
Do you mind posting a link to where you bought it?
I posted a few links in the video comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,108 Posts

Nice review. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Target Shooter

First off it is nice to see a video where someone splitting small wood with a hatchet correctly. I can see for your use it working . Your video is well made and your reasoning sound. In general there is a reason that Scandinavian settlers went away from bearded axes once here . They are great for soft wood of the Scandinavian forest They lack strength weight and the connections between the head and handle isn't strong enough for hard wood they found . They don't have the weight to bite deep in hardwoods. With the early metal alloys used originally used the beards broke off and the handle to head connections don't stand up to levering out of hardwood
I love the elegant look of a bearded axe they are great for softwoods and carvings but for me at least there are better axes . I don't back pack anymore 30 + years of being a tradesmen has taken its toll on my knees and feet . But when I did an axe is one place I would deal with a little more weight to have a more useful tool I often carried a 2 lb boys axe on a 24 inch handle. Granted in the late 70's early 80's the attitude on cutting trees was different
The Following User Says Thank You to plumberroy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 04:22 PM
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
First off it is nice to see a video where someone splitting small wood with a hatchet correctly. I can see for your use it working . Your video is well made and your reasoning sound. In general there is a reason that Scandinavian settlers went away from bearded axes once here . They are great for soft wood of the Scandinavian forest They lack strength weight and the connections between the head and handle isn't strong enough for hard wood they found . They don't have the weight to bite deep in hardwoods. With the early metal alloys used originally used the beards broke off and the handle to head connections don't stand up to levering out of hardwood
I love the elegant look of a bearded axe they are great for softwoods and carvings but for me at least there are better axes . I don't back pack anymore 30 + years of being a tradesmen has taken its toll on my knees and feet . But when I did an axe is one place I would deal with a little more weight to have a more useful tool I often carried a 2 lb boys axe on a 24 inch handle. Granted in the late 70's early 80's the attitude on cutting trees was different
Thank you. Two of the three pieces of wood you saw me splitting in the video were oak. Never had a problem with using it on hardwood.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:47 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
Thank you. Two of the three pieces of wood you saw me splitting in the video were oak. Never had a problem with using it on hardwood.
As I said it works for you and you are not chopping down large live trees I carry a SOG fasthawk fairly often . Many wouldn't consider it a bushcraft tool either but it works well for me . Those are cool hatchets
The Following User Says Thank You to plumberroy For This Useful Post: