Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Prepared

Default Who Knows About Paint ??

Advertise Here

I have a small section of picket type gate and fencing in my backyard that needs painting. As you can see it has chipped, and has deteriorated by the previous owners. I'm going to go over all of it with a rotary wire brush on an electric drill. Then I want to paint it a gloss white. I have no idea what paint was used on it before. I'm looking to possibly do this in one coat with a brush, along with a narrow roller. No spraying.

I'm not looking to save any money on paint here. I want the best, thickest covering stuff money can buy. Because having to apply 2 coats will double the labor. What is considered to be the best paint obtainable for this type of application? Here are a few pictures of the job.

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2020, 01:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,529 Times in 1,262 Posts

I painted wood siding homes in college with professional grade Sherman Williams outdoor paint. Cost about 60 bucks a gallon. It was either a100 or emerald brand. Was very thick paint. We used a 1 inch by 4 inch roller. Works pretty good for railings. Only did 1 coat and holds up well.

Spend the extra money on the good brushes. It's worth it.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:48 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,344 Times in 9,728 Posts

I would make a plastic tarp tank big enough to hold the gate. Put the gate in and pour the paint or whatever over it. I would do a 5 gallon can of Thompson's water seal and let it soak in for a few hours on both sides on a warm day. Then put the rest of the sealer back in the can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 11:14 PM
Museum Piece

Pressure wash it, Kilz primer, and oil based paint. It will be years before you have to repaint.

Man that looks way to cool to paint. Id go with a semi transparent oil based stain.
We only used Kelly Moore at the contractor I used to work for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 12:46 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,193 Times in 496 Posts

Old weathered wood like that is dry, cracked and porous. It needs to be sanded by hand the best you can. Hand held wire brush can help too. Then a good exterior sealer. Finally followed with at least one coat of paint. Most any name brand exterior will work just fine.

Stay away from the deck seal products. They dont seem to hold up nearly long as advertised.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 AM
Prepared

rotary wire brush may be to aggressive for this, you may strip the wood. this is all about the preparation, take it apart , sand it down to bare wood so you can evaluate if the wood is solid, if not repair the gate, then apply a sealer this will help paint to stick, then apply an oil based paint of your choice and color. dont get in a hurry, you will get the results you want but if you rush you will just be redoing it next year. someone mentioned kilz it is a primer, and is a shellac. remember shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac
Old 02-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Target Shooter

The biggest thing about painting out doors is the gate needs to be Moisture free , if the wood is damp when you paint it it will not hold up well .
Kilts oil brace primer and oil base paint .
If you sand/ brush it off you could cover it with plastic when it rains and over night .
You need a few warm dry days before you paint , get it all primed first , try to seal the bottom of the balusters
Old 02-27-2020, 03:13 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,588 Times in 757 Posts

Oil based primer for exterior applications, and then oil based paint also for exterior applications. I would really not use latex paint, especially in what that area looks like--hot and extremely dry.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Prepared

In the Spring around here, it is very dry. (Usually under 10% humidity). And we can go for weeks without rain. That's when I'm going to do this. That way the wood will have a good chance to completely dry out.