Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Anchorage, tell me more.

Advertise Here

VERY preliminary, may, big big maybe, have an opportunity to move. I don't know if Anchorage is it. I had thought more about Maine or upper Great Lakes, out of NY.

Anyhoo, cost of living, climate etc are huge questions. I say horses, cats, dog go with us. Household stuff, most of it could be sold. Dh has a ton of tools. Firearms could be shipped, I think. We would need a small farm, barn in good shape, small house. Not sure about gardening, hay, etc.

Any info, thoughts would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 05:28 PM

Everything's expensive, summers are short, long winters. Pretty area, but challenging for what you might want. I never lived there but traveled lots with the A.F. Good Luck
Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Prepared

Getting out of New York. Best idea. You have mentioned all colder climates. Just be aware of the things needed to thrive in those areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 05:59 PM
Bugged out already

Thanked 8,079 Times in 3,057 Posts

With horses and the desire for a farm, you may want to look at Palmer or Wasilla, but that will mean a commute if you work in Anchorage. Homes are much more affordable in Palmer/Wasilla as well. Palmer has a lot of old homesteads and farms that occasionally come on the market. Its a huge equestrian community too with lots of great trails for horseback riding. Some indoor riding facilities for winter too. Palmer to Anchorage is a good 45 minute commute if you plan on working in Anchorage. Wasilla could be 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on where you live.

I was able to ship my guns with a moving company. I had to research and it was a condition that I required in the bids from moving companies. So you will need to research. If you fly up, easy to bring on the plane. Also FFL to FFL. Be cautious of thinking about driving through Canada, as you probably can't regardless of what others may tell you or what paperwork you have all properly completed. Speaking from personal experience and from also from others.

As I said above, Palmer is a great place to farm and they are immensely productive for both agriculture and livestock. If you aren't tied to Anchorage for work, I can suggest a lot of great farming communities in Alaska in different areas.

Personally, I'd avoid Anchorage as it has problems like most cities in the lower 48.

I am speaking from some experience having purchased an old homestead and am doing more of what you would call a hobby farm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 06:20 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 7,461 Times in 2,118 Posts

Good source for Information.

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...ting-to-alaska

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com.../alaska-living
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 06:47 AM
Survivor

Ds lived in Fairbanks for a couple if years. He goes back every few years still. He said much of what Alaskajohn said. As to colder climate, northern NY is not exactly warm. Lake effect snow has to be experienced to be believed by most.

I think I will look at available real estate. Moving is a tough decision. We have spent almost 30 years here making a working homestead and we have a decent network. The way things are going. I fear we could loose it all in taxes. After seeing what happened with corona, the unconstitional mandates that went out,, not much will surprise me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:02 AM
Survivor

AJ, the driving aspect is a concern. To transport animals, the thought was we would have to drive. Especially now, with corona shutting borders, that might negate that. Plus, animals have their own issues with paperwork. What issues have you seen? I have heard of people driving up but it was a long time ago.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:15 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 17,581 Times in 5,449 Posts

From reading I believe a lot of the places for rent/sale will come furnished as it is cheaper to simply sell your belongings than to ship them out of Alaska. So you probably won't need to bring much beyond personal belongings.

My wife originally wanted us to go off-grid in Alaska when we retired. I declined due to the cost of living. Especially on a fixed income that unlike wages wouldn't adjust for local increases. Plus it is just so far away if you want to do anything in the lower 48, like visit relatives or travel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 12:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 37,725 Times in 8,920 Posts

#1 daughter attended grad school in Anchorage then stayed for 9 years. She lived in Anchorage for a few years then out in Eagle River. Her job first with a consulting company doing environmental sustainability work for Exxon-Mobil followed by a sting with BLM (no, not #BLM) took her all over the state. She loved it.

For an AZ-born girl who lived most of her life in San Diego, she adapted quite well to Alaska.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,460 Times in 585 Posts

Daughter and her family moved to Wasilla last year. They were able to rent a pretty nice 4 bedroom 2 story for $1800. That is with 5 acres that joins a lake. Of course those 5 acres are mostly brush but could be cleared I guess. Her Hubby works on the slope and even with the slow down and massive layoffs up there this spring managed to keep his job.

A few years ago, my wife got tired of me talking about moving to Alaska and finally said "We aren't moving but you can buy some land and a cabin if you can find one". So... now that 3/4 of our grandkids are up there I have started the search in earnest. Wife is there visiting to help with kiddos while daughter begins recovery from a surgery. So I have her driving around a bit just to look. I think I have her convinced that we can do this now. I'm waiting on my work to decide if they are going to make my job a full-time remote position or not.

I am looking between Wasilla and Talkeetna area or possibly on the far side of Palmer.

Land is cheap if you can fly, boat or snowmachine to it. If you can ATV it seems more expensive. If you can drive to it, the price jumps again. Any utilities and the price jumps again.

Good luck with your decision and search!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 AM
Bugged out already

Thanked 8,079 Times in 3,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
AJ, the driving aspect is a concern. To transport animals, the thought was we would have to drive. Especially now, with corona shutting borders, that might negate that. Plus, animals have their own issues with paperwork. What issues have you seen? I have heard of people driving up but it was a long time ago.
I have friends who drove their horses up from Colorado a few years ago when the relocated to Alaska. I have driven animals up and down the Alcan Highway a few times myself. The boarder guards will be much more interested in what you have packed. He had his guns shipped FFL, but when the boarder guards opened up the back of his trailer and saw his empty gun safe, they took everything out of his nicely packed trailer and it cost him a day to carefully repack everything.

With the virus, the boarder situation can change from day to day. A firm I consult with from time to time hired an executive who drove up with horses in early April with no issues, but things could have changed. He found a place suitable for horses in Eagle River, but it was pricey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 03:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,460 Times in 585 Posts

Crap... we have horses and figure on maybe 8hr/day when we drive. That makes it a 10 day drive from here if my mental math is right. The problem is scheduling the stops and overnights. That gets expensive.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Semper Fi

OP, is there a job connected to the Alaska move or are you retired on a fixed income?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Survivor

It would be a two family move. Which adds a whole level of difficulty. Dh and I are both retired but work. Other family is son and family, both work. A job (transfer) would be tied in for son. That might not go well where he is at currently. Lots to consider.

Reality may be that dh and dil may just not go for this. Dh hates severe cold, heat and snakes. Kind of limits areas to move. Depends on his mood what he says about Alaska. I simply don't know. I think I could live much more primitively than we do and be happy. Dh grouses when the power is out.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Semper Fi

Would your work be able to continue after moving to Alaska? Things are pretty pricey up there and with just a fixed income you could possibly run into money issues further down the road. Unless you are like millionaire level retirees that is.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Millionaire retirees, no. Simple lifestyle is my hedge. I know taxes are much less than NY. The goal, in my mind, is to spend less than what we sell for, continue producing much of our food like we do now, keep the bills to a minimum. I need to check out insurance requirements, what taxes are there such as land, county and sales. Currently we have all of those and it is thousands every year.

I know when my son was in Fairbanks the flat rate USPS boxes were great. Mailed him all kinds of things. One time sent him a bunch of his conibear traps. I might consider getting some of my goods like that.