AR-15 Bandoliers for handouts? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 02-20-2020, 11:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,467 Times in 8,595 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I'd do what I did in the service, if I was securing a area or on patrol. I'd don my body armor which would have 6 mag pouches, plus 1 in my weapon. That's a 270 round fighting load instantly accessible. A backpack full of magazines would be available as well.
That's 210 rounds, not 270. Where are you sticking the extra 60 rounds?

I should consider updating my kit a bit. A friend saw my kit a few weeks back. Asked "what's that?" "782 gear, why?" Then had to explain......smh.

Nostalgia is nice and all that but it is ok to modernize a bit.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,019 Times in 9,307 Posts

Tired, bad math, fat fingering... I'll take all excuses for 100 Alex.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Tired, bad math, fat fingering... I'll take all excuses for 100 Alex.
I thought you were going to say, one in the magwell and one in the buttstock pouch.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,134 Posts

Handout? Need a gun and/ or ammo? Go buy your own. Mine is for me and my kin.
The Following User Says Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 PM
Museum Piece

Funny story. When I was a supply sgt I acquired a garage full of stuff.

I do not like the AR/M16 platform.Ive repaired to many of them. As a life long Armorer.
So when this ghost gun thing started up a few years ago, I thought Id build one for the daughter, grand daughter, and wifey.
After making and buying a pile of 300 blackout (no 5.56 here). I had no place to store the mags. Out of the garage came a case of 7 pouch bandoleers, strippers and the little gizmo that gets the strippers to the mags. Oh yeah I found a box of 20 round Nam vintage mags.
So now each girl has two bandoleers full. Plus two ammo cans full of stippered rounds.
I still have a box of them around here somewhere. Its in with a box of 500 enblocs.
(the other 500 are loaded)
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,799 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How many of us have stockpiled some AR15 bandoliers?

I am sitting here thinking of various situations, especially with the coronavirus (COVID-19). Worse case situation friends and family members bug out to the farm and I arm them with an AR-15, or other weapon.

So what about magazines? What is the absolute best way for someone to carry spare magazines? I do not want to buy a bunch of extra Fighting Load Carriers FLC, chest rigs... etc. I have a few extra ALICE pouches in storage someone could put on a belt.

Various companies have AR-15 bandoliers for sale on Ebay for pretty cheap. I have an AK-47 bandolier that I bought in the 1990s.

Take the plunge and get some AR-15 bandoliers, or go a different route?
A few suggestions:

The absolute best way for anyone to carry their magazines = Each has their own equipment. ( FLC, LCE, LBV, etc......)

Reasons .......

1. They choose their own based on what they prefer to carry. ( Including other items such as knives, water etc.....

2. They get to choose how/ where they want to carry magazines and other items each deems important.

3. Reasons pertaining to each of their own respective budgets.

4. Not everyone is the same size. Each set of " load out equipment" can be set up for each person.

5. If they own it, they should be able to test the equipment, make adjustments, and/ or replace with something else if required by each.

6. It is possible that they might show up with something other than an AR15, so buying additional ammo pouches for this type of magazine may not be the best route......( A more " universal "mag pouch might prove to be a better choice) See example in pic below.......

7. Which would be a bigger asset for you and yours......... Mag pouches that optimize fast retrieval or mag pouches that best protect the mags?

8. I would not carry spare mags in back packs either.

9. Those bandoleers are probably one of the worst methods for carrying spare mags. ( Coat pockets are better in my experience.

10. If you want to help them , you can build an exact duplicate of whatever it is that they are using and keep it at the BOL, cache, or any other plan concerning your own logistics.

Example reference #6 : This is a load bearing vest designed with the M16A2 in mind. The vest is best utilized with the standard pistol belt......which can sport as many more mag pouches as you desire. The vest itself will hold up to 6 GI aluminum M16 30rd mags, and also has 2 smaller pouches designed to hold one M67 in each. ( The " back pack " in same pic carries items other than spare magazines)

After modifying 2 of the 4 pouches on vest, this set up can carry up to 12 M14 20rd mags. It will still hold 6 M16 30rd aluminum mags in the vest.

Note: The gen1 FLC is decent enough for civilian use. ( Gen2 is junk however.) The older LBV/ LBE was much better made, and will last thru years of very hard use.

Note: Anything using Alice clips : Replace those clips with 550 cord.

Note: Pistol belt : Have the " fat man" piece if your area has seasons ( winter/ summer) Much easier to dress in layers when cold, then shed layers to avoid perspiration.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_172610.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	298240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_172319.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	298242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	298244  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Hunter

As cheap as chest rigs can be had, I’d go with that. They’re “one size fits most” adjustable. I have a beez combat system ak chest rig (used with magpul 40rd ar mags since no longer own an ak) and about to purchase one for an AR. Would like to have a rig for each rifle I own so that nobody has to put mags in their pockets (very few shooters in my area even have them).
Old 02-26-2020, 03:49 PM
Museum Piece

Oh I misread this thread (happens a lot at 3am)
You are giving away ammo? In a pigs eye.
We have baggies of cracked wheat (gruel for you Brits) with cooking instructions inside the bag for give away. That is about as nice as I am going to be.

You want bullets yo best have stuff to trade, and teenage girls are not on my trading list.
Tho they did trade during Katrina.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:17 AM

Can't the white thread at the bottom of the bandoliers be pulled off to make space big enough for a 30-rd mag?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to horatiodreamt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 02:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,799 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiodreamt View Post
Can't the white thread at the bottom of the bandoliers be pulled off to make space big enough for a 30-rd mag?
While that is possible, it went be very practical for any duration of time, as it will quickly wear holes in it to the point of non useful.

With that said, 20rd mags work much better.

That big brass colored safety pin is the only way to " adjust" the strap....which doesn't last very long either.

Hint: use 100mph tape instead, and save the safety pin for diapers.......if you can find diapers.....lol
Sew the strain place ( once adjusted for fit), as that = the better solution via long term.

11B
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiodreamt View Post
Its there to keep the strippers from dropping too low in the bandoleer. Yes was made easily removable to put your magazines in
Old 03-23-2020, 12:22 AM
Target Shooter

Sportsman's Guide, several other places had the mil surplus ACU 6 mag pouches for a few dollars apiece. I agree on the color, what a boondoggle that was. But hey, someone got rich, no doubt. I used RIT jade green on mine too, also on some Brit desert camou stuff.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,141 Times in 776 Posts

This is my setup using the usgi woodland 6 mag, 3 pocket bandolier.

40mm ammo can
(4) woodland bandoliers
(24) metal magazines. Plastic mags are too bulky to snap closed.
(720) rounds of extremely quick, deployable, ready to hand out ammo.

Not my vid-

I like this setup a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OliverR. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Free Born

Thanked 4,774 Times in 1,284 Posts

wtf, Not really sure why my post here was deleted? I recommended cheap Condor chest rigs as they're easy for anyone to use.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:15 PM
S.O.S.

Grabbed some of those ACU bandoliers off ebay (2 for $11 shipped) , inspired by this thread. Was messing around with them today, and figured this might help some people out. If you run the metal GI mags in front of the plastic mags you can still snap them closed and fit all 6. Lancer, Magpul, and MFT all fit fine and allowed the pouch to snap closed as long as you run a metal GI mag in front.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

SG has a 5 pack for $12 1/2 bucks. I figured I'd give them a try for that. You can get it at the club price too with a free trial offer for membership, just don't forget to cancel if you don't want to stay a member.

Chinese Military Surplus Rifleman Chest Rig, 5 Pack, New

Old 04-04-2020, 05:50 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 24,003 Times in 8,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

SG has a 5 pack for $12 1/2 bucks. I figured I'd give them a try for that. You can get it at the club price too with a free trial offer for membership, just don't forget to cancel if you don't want to stay a member.

Chinese Military Surplus Rifleman Chest Rig, 5 Pack, New

I saw this. What are you thinking to use them for? Evidently AR mags wont fit in them.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durden
Old 04-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Target Shooter

There are a lot of generous folks here who know more unarmed friends then redneck friends. All of my friends are well armed except for a guy with only a few guns, some of which he keeps in Texas. I lent him my brand new Mavericks shotgun for defense during this crisis as he plans to move back to Texas in a year and not planning to get more guns here. If things get really bad and he comes over with his family, they already have more than enough to arm themselves. They may not have AK, AR, and modern combat rifles but they have 5 guns for two people and will be assigned security duty that fit their ability with their weapons. Having arsenal to arm others broadcast the message that they don’t need guns and can just show up. Rarely a person of sane mind has no guns. No one with guns are allowed here unless they are very well loved and liked relatives.

As far of bandolier, I should look into getting some as I only have gun belt and chest rig for each member enable them to have 4 AR/AK mags, 3 pistol mags, and a small compartment for .22 ammo. In the last few years, I had bought everyone in this house a 15-22 and 6 mags and those are to be their main bug repellent. Hits are more critical than loud noise and we are most likely shooting from cover. Let’s hope we will never have to do perimeter patrol beyond what my dogs and security systems are already doing as it is extremely difficult to do that without not expecting casualties. These are family members instead of paid security guards in movies so I am not going to have them trot around the property during chaos. We’ll be under high alert lock down and will repel any and all dangerous bugs.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:56 PM
Man of few words

Thanked 1,528 Times in 720 Posts

Midway has mag carriers.straps over the shoulder and holds 4 30's.we bought 4 of them his/hers.I like 20's also so I put styrofoam in pairs in two of them so it wont swallow 20's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 09:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,885 Times in 1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck007 View Post
There are a lot of generous folks here who know more unarmed friends then redneck friends. All of my friends are well armed except for a guy with only a few guns, some of which he keeps in Texas. I lent him my brand new Mavericks shotgun for defense during this crisis as he plans to move back to Texas in a year and not planning to get more guns here. If things get really bad and he comes over with his family, they already have more than enough to arm themselves. They may not have AK, AR, and modern combat rifles but they have 5 guns for two people and will be assigned security duty that fit their ability with their weapons. Having arsenal to arm others broadcast the message that they donít need guns and can just show up. Rarely a person of sane mind has no guns. No one with guns are allowed here unless they are very well loved and liked relatives.

As far of bandolier, I should look into getting some as I only have gun belt and chest rig for each member enable them to have 4 AR/AK mags, 3 pistol mags, and a small compartment for .22 ammo. In the last few years, I had bought everyone in this house a 15-22 and 6 mags and those are to be their main bug repellent. Hits are more critical than loud noise and we are most likely shooting from cover. Letís hope we will never have to do perimeter patrol beyond what my dogs and security systems are already doing as it is extremely difficult to do that without not expecting casualties. These are family members instead of paid security guards in movies so I am not going to have them trot around the property during chaos. Weíll be under high alert lock down and will repel any and all dangerous bugs.
Some folks might have family & or friends visiting from afar. Sometimes travel without kit is just simpler, for any number of reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post: