oktx's Garden 2010 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oktx's 2011 Garden oktx Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 51 10-14-2011 08:42 AM
IceFire's 2010 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 12-07-2010 09:43 PM
TheClosetGeek's First Garden - 2010 TheClosetGeek Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 10-26-2010 04:27 AM
My 2010 Garden with pics.. Dougzilla Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 09-08-2010 03:59 PM
Froley's garden 2010 Froley Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 07-31-2010 10:35 PM
Happygirl62's Garden 2010 Happygirl62 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 21 07-26-2010 04:50 PM
Graywolf's Garden 2010 Graywolf Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 07-21-2010 05:06 AM
PrincessKraken's 2010 Garden PrincessKraken Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 43 06-01-2010 12:34 AM
2010 Garden help JUSTSURVIVEBABY Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 03-15-2010 12:19 PM
Wish's Backyard Garden 2010 youonlywish Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 11-26-2009 07:53 PM

Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default oktx's Garden 2010

Advertise Here

Just thought I'd start a thread to put my garden updates. I know that I always love to see what other people are doing in their gardens.

First is a picture of the first layer of my tire potatoes. I am growing 3 varieties in six tires. Two each of Russett, Red and White potatoes.

Next is a picture of the first layer of a concrete raised bed that I am building. It is some pretty back-breaking work trying to get the first layer even. I think I did pretty well for it being my first attempt and the garden being as sloped as it is.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Target Shooter

Ive never tryed the tire/potato trick. What does it do for you? If car tires are good would like a tractor tire be better? Steel belted or Radial? (sorry couldnt resist)
Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Tough Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Ive never tryed the tire/potato trick. What does it do for you? If car tires are good would like a tractor tire be better? Steel belted or Radial? (sorry couldnt resist)
When the plants get about 8" tall, you add a tire and more dirt. It is to encourage the plant to produce more potatoes. I am planning to get them to three tires each by harvest time, hopefully. Also, it is a lot easier to harvest than digging up the potatoes. I can personally attest to this since last year I got to dig mine up instead of this method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Prepared

Talking I love the Potato(e) trick!

My grandfather taught me that trick. He insisted that "Rock Phosphate" was also the key to getting 100 pounds of potatos from each 3 high stack of tires. God bless Pepe and farmers (big and small) all over the world!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P.Publius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,317 Times in 552 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

All that dirt looks really nice and dark, ours is just clay upon clay. It will be another 2 months before we can break ground around here, I will enjoy watching everyone's gardens progress this year. It's a good idea to build raised beds out of blocks like that, they never rot and they hold their position really well. The raised beds I've made out of wood always bow out and end up falling apart after a year or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to XS29L For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Tough Chick

Default March 17 - Garden Update

Today my husband and I rebuilt our "re-claimed" fence raised beds and planted 3 varieties of onions, shallots, garlic and horseradish in them. The fence material we picked up from someone's curb on big trash day and cut up to make the right size for building planters. We are not very handy so this took us quite some time. In addition, I added one more variety of potato... I couldn't resist it when I saw "blue" potatoes. Just have to see what that ends up tasting like. We repotted some of the pepper seedlings into bigger containers... mountain dew cans with the top taken off with a can opener and a few holes punched in the bottom with a screwdriver. What we are trying to do for the most part is to make the garden as much as possible out of things we have so that we are 1) spending less and 2) consuming less.

Here's some pictures of various things...
Bell peppers

Basil

3 week old Marigold seedlings planted in cardboard egg cartons

4 week old cherry tomatoes

4 week old jalapeno and banana peppers

3 week old brandywine tomatoes

View of garden with reclaimed fence raised beds

Some tomato cages we found laying around by the creek! Free stuff! Woo!

The extra layer of concrete raised bed where the tomatoes will go plus the new tire for the blue potatoes!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Tough Chick

Link to last year's garden so you can compare if you want.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ht=garden+2009
Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,657 Posts

I was just fixing to say something about your garden last year. Are you gonna do any hanging tomatos this year?? Mine didn't do so well so I am thinking about just doing raised beds.

Also toying with doing some edible landscaping. I got a lot of grass that needs to come out though ...
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,888 Times in 861 Posts

Looks good so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to shawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Tough Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I was just fixing to say something about your garden last year. Are you gonna do any hanging tomatos this year?? Mine didn't do so well so I am thinking about just doing raised beds.

Also toying with doing some edible landscaping. I got a lot of grass that needs to come out though ...
No hanging tomatoes this year. That was an abominable failure for me last year.

The grass is your husband's job.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
No hanging tomatoes this year. That was an abominable failure for me last year.
Yep, me too. Honestly I think if I could have hung them where the wind didn't blow ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME it might have helped, but I am not in the mood to take chances this year ... I want to try my hand at canning so I am gonna need some extra and GR eats them as fast as they grow ...
Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
The grass is your husband's job.
I wish ... he will be real quick to tell you he makes the money and I spend it ... that includes pulling together all the DIY projects I get neck deep in.

So?? You have done the potato/tire thing before? I might need to give that a whirl this year. Where did you get your tires?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Tough Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I wish ... he will be real quick to tell you he makes the money and I spend it ... that includes pulling together all the DIY projects I get neck deep in.

So?? You have done the potato/tire thing before? I might need to give that a whirl this year. Where did you get your tires?
I haven't done potatoes in a tire before but my grandpa used to grow them this way.

I got most of my tires from a shop in Edmond. I'd just call a locally owned tire shop and ask if you can have some old ones for your garden. That's what I did. Hibdon's will not help you much with them, btw. They would only give me two. Oh and I also found a bunch of my tires on the side of the road. Check craigslist also and big trash day. I found some on curbs on big trash day also.
The Following User Says Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Tough Chick

Default March 18th Update

Today we lined the concrete bed with plastic and moved the old dirt from the tires into it. We will still have to fill the rest with some potting mix but we have a pretty good start. Next we cleared out and leveled the rest of the garden where the two new wooden beds will go. We laid an old plastic paint tarp (4mil plastic) down and staked that. Then we built the first bed. Good news is that hubby says he is buying me a cordless screwdriver/drill for my birthday. Bad news is that it took us about an hour and a half to make just one using my itty bitty Dremel tool to predrill the holes and then screw in those big old wood screws by hand. Other good news is that it is pretty sturdy. Tomorrow afternoon we plan to make the other one, then we will cut the plastic back from the bottom inside, staple it to the board, add more plastic to cover the corners, layer the bottom with heavy duty landscape fabric and then we will be ready to rock and roll with those after the snow storm moves out. Lot of work for one day but boy was it worth it.

Plastic lining

Filled with some dirt

Stack of tires ready for potatoes

Cleaned up back garden

Plastic tarp down

Building the beds

Some potatoes already coming up

Blackberry bush survived the winter!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,888 Times in 861 Posts

I was gonna do some planting this weekend but with the snow supposedly coming in I think I will wait till next weekend. Beds are looking real nice.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Tough Chick

Thanks. We are hustling this afternoon to get it done before the storm rolls in. Just have to cover up all the baby plants and we should be fine.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I ain't doing that!!

LOL ... we just came in from laying out a couple of raised beds and cleaning up to get ready for the storm also.

oktx, you have inspired me ... next week we are gonna build our first "custom" raised bed. (The ones we have now came in a kit.) And GR's "honey-do" next week is to find me 9 tires ...

They had chicks at Tractor Supply ... If I hadn't been worried about the cats getting to them I would have had a dozen. After the weather straightens up next week I will go out and get a kiddie pool to put them in, build a little cover for it and then I will be ready to pick them up!

Still trying to figure out a way to talk GR into a dwarf goat ...
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I was gonna do some planting this weekend but with the snow supposedly coming in I think I will wait till next weekend. Beds are looking real nice.
This is kinda a hijack but did you get your Foodsaver yet??
Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Tough Chick

Default March 19th Update

Finished building the last raised bed and put the potatoes to bed for the expected snow storm coming in.

Here's how we cut the plastic:

After the snow goes away we will put landscape fabric on the bottom of them and load them with dirt/potting soil.

I just used some extra plastic to cover the potatoes and put an extra tire on top to hold the plastic down. Hoping the snow doesn't stick around as long this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,889 Times in 5,885 Posts

Do you worry about contamination from the synthetic petroleum based rubber in the tires?