Got the start of my wheat storage. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2019, 11:30 PM

Default Got the start of my wheat storage.

Advertise Here

A couple weeks ago I got the start of my wheat berries for long term storage. Been wanting to do this for a while now, and finally had a little extra cash. It's only 26 lbs., but it's a start.
I'll be ordering more this weekend, and I hope to also start adding a bit of corn for meal as well. I have a small hand crank mill I bought some time back. There is a local health food store that sells wheat berries, but they only sell them in one pound bags. I bought a couple just to set up the mill, and to get started grinding flour for bread. It works well, and I've made some great bread with the flour I ground using it.

Like most people that prep and buy grains to grind, I'd love to have one of the Country Living mills.I just don't have the funds to purchase one, so I got an inexpensive mill instead. Still grinds grains, and to me, that's what really matters.
I have a decent start towards gathering grains for long-term food storage, and will add more as my funds allow. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner, but it's a start, and that's the most important thing.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIM TIM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 PM

I kind of like my hand crank mill. I used it to grind the beans when I made Ezekial bread. Had to send them back through but it worked. Great exercise!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:04 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,242 Times in 8,901 Posts

It's a great start, plus you are way ahead in that you have working recipes. I don't hump 50# sacks around as easily as I could say 10 years ago, 25# bags I can manage for now. Well worth the effort to store the stuff in proper containers with proper treatment - throwing away food because it went bad or the vermin get into it; sucks.

I try and stock for balance. For example I buy 200 rounds of new rifle brass. I buy the bullets, powder and primers to load them several times; 2 # of powder needs 200 bullets and 200 primers. Most brass can be loaded 5 to 10 times, sometimes way more.

I don't do bread any more but I would work out your other ingredients and accumulate them in balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 05:19 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,863 Times in 20,487 Posts

In the little research I did, I think my plan for using wheat berries would involve making sprouted Ezekiel bread. Reduces the gluten content, unlocks some of the nutrients supposedly and naturally sweetens the bread. Uses a food processor instead of a wheat grinder.

I put her video on 1.75 times playback speed.

https://www.southernliving.com/bread...-bread-recipes
Old 10-26-2019, 03:27 AM

Just got paid yesterday, and since I don't have any large Bill's to pay this next couple of weeks, I think I'll get one or two more to add to my pantry.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,244 Times in 984 Posts

My plan for stored wheat (don't have a whole lot) is to crack it and cook it as a cereal, and also to sprout some. I think the grinding/baking steps are beyond me.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,369 Times in 1,344 Posts

Good ideas for us who have 100 lbs of wheat and zero pounds of ideas.
In the video she uses the wet sprouts for Ezikiel bread but in the recipe it says you must dry them. Thoughts on why the difference? Or how to proceed in a situation where you have neither a juicer nor a dehydrator?
How do you "crack" the wheat before frying?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:35 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,863 Times in 20,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
In the video she uses the wet sprouts for Ezikiel bread but in the recipe it says you must dry them. Thoughts on why the difference? Or how to proceed in a situation where you have neither a juicer nor a dehydrator?
I saw a video a few years ago where a California hippy showed his method.
I think he simply had a cheap food processor or maybe a blender. Don't remember exactly. I think he also let the sprouts emerge a bit further. The idea is that the grains soften themselves by the day or 2 of water exposure and sprouting.
Almost anything vigorous seems to produce a nice dough.

The best method in my opinion is to simply drain the sprouted grains then mush it up into a dough. Seems like they should add some baking powder to make fluffier bread and not bricks. Some day I will try it out.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 AM

Really like making my own wheat bread from flour I grind as necessary. Started with a small hand grinder and then mounted a food processor motor to it and a larger hopper so it can grind enough for several loaves quickly.
Love adding dates, raisin and dried fruit, as well as cinnamon and kneading with a dough hook in a large blender.
Adding olives, extra olive oil and sesame seeds makes a great bread for soups, stews and pasta dishes.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post

I am responding to a couple posts as well as Puttster here, I am just quoting him because his post covers a lot of it.

If you have hundreds of pounds of wheat why don't you have a plan for it. Now is the time to practice, if you can't make it work you now have the time to do the research, buy necessary tools or decide you like barley more than wheat and switch to storing another grain instead.

I have spent about three years(mostly in the winter) playing with wheat and have tried hundreds of ways of using it some of the simpler ways were

Boil it
crack and boil it
soak, flatten, dry then boil it
soak, flatten, dry, bake, then boil
course grind and boil

sprouting (yuck)
malting(to make syrup, sugar, beer, soda, [I]{Harder spirits?[]/I])

Then came bread making, there are hundreds of ways of making bread from 4 ingredients.

I found even the worst, coarsest bread to be preferable to porage made from various ways of processing wheat.

The coarsest breads are what I call breaking breads. Where you break off a piece of bread, dip it in something or top it with a bit of highly flavored meat or cheese and eat it like that. The beast bread I have been able to make so far is good for open face sandwiches, If you try using two pieces of my homemade bread for a sandwich the bread is too dense and the sandwich isn't as enjoyable. (I have had homemade home ground bread from others and it appears as if they can't do much better than I can)

I find toasting the bread really makes it taste great. But a nice fluffy white sandwich bread is beyond my abilities and I assume without chemical additives is beyond everyone's abilities.

When it comes to grinding. I have a grist mill meant to be run off a 15+ hp engine.

I have a couple hand crank flour grinders, they work but take a lot of time and effort.

For smaller amounts of flour a meat grinder with fine holes can produce a little bit of flour when sifted and the rest of what it produces can be used for porridge. Small amounts of flour can come in handy for thickening other foods.

It can be ground between two cinder blocks.

I also built a quern out of cast cement that works but is time consuming.

A good grinder can also be used for other grains and dried foods as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,349 Times in 4,315 Posts

I grew up on ezekial bread.

Never got the taste for it. Switched to real bread as soon as I could. I understand all the health benefits but it always tasted like someone else ate it first.

The only thing wheat is good for IMO...is making bread. Which is not hard and is useful, which is fine but thats as far as it goes.

But if you want a simpler LTS grain, go with rice, just need to boil some water to make it into food, no grinding or other ingredients needed.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,369 Times in 1,344 Posts

Pipe alternative to a quern http://www.i4at.org/surv/pipemill.htm Tape 3 pipes together, put grain in a can, drop pipes on grain over and over. No grit in grain.

I put my Corona mill on a board inside a bucket to keep it from spraying everywhere. It grinded sloowly until I went motorized. Suddenly I get ten pounds of grain fit for brewing in no time at all. I only question how long the steel plates will last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grain mill in bucket.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	293376   Click image for larger version

Name:	mill and bucket (1).JPG
Views:	10
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	293378  
Old 10-30-2019, 11:17 AM

Do you put your supply in mylar bags, plastic bins or something else?

I know that if I don't put such products in at least sealed plastic bins for longer term storage I get weevils and then have to toss supply.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive