Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,978 Times in 13,157 Posts
Default Cold weather thoughts: not all blankets created equal

Advertise Here

My son and I went on a campout this past weekend, at night got down into the mid 30's....nowhere near what i'll get in 2 or 3 months though

had 2 us military (reproduction) wool blankets, specifically, this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1AJVHY/

inside tent, wearing clothes, with ground insulation, and both blankets stacked, still pretty cold. not my worst cold night, but it wasn't snug either.

blankets were pretty thin by my estimation. And only 80% wool.

Now, if I'd had a fire beside which to lay, it may have done quiet well. Conditions did not permit it unfortunately.

At this point I'm considering going big, perhaps a 50% alpaca / 50% sheep thick queen size. Based on what I experienced last weekend, I'm thinking that would do me, at least by a fire, all the way down to the teens.

What are your experiences?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Nothing beats a well rated sleeping bag. Compared to a good wool blanket: a lot lighter, cheaper, a lot less bulky, warmer.

I love my good wool blanket on my bed, but not for outdoors. My sleeping bag has a lot better performance than a wool blanket, without needing to rely on a fire which is always hardest to make when it's needed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 01:10 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,154 Times in 8,883 Posts

I used my actual issue Army blanket on top of my issue sleeping bag on top of the issue air mattress and cot.

If it's cold I want a sleeping bag for sleeping. Blankets have a place and use.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Low speed , High drag

Thanked 1,314 Times in 401 Posts

I've found percentage of wool is deceiving some will say 90% wool but weigh less than 4 pounds. Higher percentage of wool and weight combo is the way to go.
The extos blankets are a good example the 90% comes in at 4.4 pounds and the 100% wool is 5.5 pounds. I have both and there is a world of difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to cantankerous For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,263 Times in 636 Posts

The Army issue blankets are (or were) worth loosing at ETS (purchase at depreciated prict) but were never warm. Just not enough thickness/weight. Intended for inside a heated barracks not cowboy camping. Get a decent fartsack.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,978 Times in 13,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
I've found percentage of wool is deceiving some will say 90% wool but weigh less than 4 pounds. Higher percentage of wool and weight combo is the way to go.
The extos blankets are a good example the 90% comes in at 4.4 pounds and the 100% wool is 5.5 pounds. I have both and there is a world of difference.
Yeah I guess there's no way around it....sheep wool can't really be made lighter unless you mix something else or don't make it thick..the weight directly affects that
Old 10-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,460 Times in 1,163 Posts

NO MATTER how you wrap yourself up in a blanket, it just won't be as warm as a good bag can keep you. There is no way to seal a blanket like the enclosure a bag gives.

Warm blankets are nice, but in real cold give me a good sleeping bag or give me a cabin with central heat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 PM
Epstein wasn't suicide

Thanked 4,475 Times in 1,153 Posts

Agree with sleeping bags being better than blankets but the warmest blanket is a good old mink blanket like the ones from Korea.
The Following User Says Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,939 Times in 7,100 Posts

A high quality DOWN blanket, quilt or comforter is the warmest made.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:18 AM
Freedom Freeloader

Down is lighter and warmer than wool; just don't let it get wet.

A down mummy bag is warmest, but fiber fill bags are almost as good, and they hold warmth when wet.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I used my actual issue Army blanket on top of my issue sleeping bag on top of the issue air mattress and cot.

If it's cold I want a sleeping bag for sleeping. Blankets have a place and use.
You will be much warmer if you use your blanket as a sleeping bag liner rather than a cover. As a cover the blanket actually compresses the insulation of the sleeping bag.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,400 Posts

Most people using blankets fail to give themselves adequate underbody protection from the cold.

IMO take two wool army blankets. Sew a flannel (wool or cotton depending on cold and personal comfort level to wool) on one side of each blanket. Then sew the two together long side, bottom and half-way up the other long side. Sleeps one or two. Your body heat is trapped much better than just using the 4 pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 08:58 AM

I must say in all my years and experience I never heard that before. That is a fantastic explanation and useful awareness shared. Thank you for the share not only for myself but everyone here. You can be on our team anytime you need it.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,154 Times in 8,883 Posts

In the German winter I was in a tent (GP Medium or a Hex) with a liner and a diesel stove. The top of the cop was about the bottom of the tent liner. Saw 25 below more than once. If the stove went out, I'd wake up cold and just get inside my bag and go back to sleep.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Perspective provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Most people using blankets fail to give themselves adequate underbody protection from the cold.

IMO take two wool army blankets. Sew a flannel (wool or cotton depending on cold and personal comfort level to wool) on one side of each blanket. Then sew the two together long side, bottom and half-way up the other long side. Sleeps one or two. Your body heat is trapped much better than just using the 4 pieces.
So, make a sleeping bag, which will be about 4 times the weight and bulk available?

I can take my 8C sleeping bag, and get more temperature range of use, than with my wool blanket, and it is less than half the weight/bulk. For the same weight/bulk, i can take my defense 4 from Carinthia, for -15C.

Your option will work in keeping you warmer since you trap more air in more layers, though won't get enough insulation from the ground from a compressed blanket. You'll still need a mat or something below you to insulate you where the insulation is compressed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,918 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote:

I have a similar rig put together by an unknown parachute rigger which has camo GoreTex fabric sewn onto one side of a 4-pound Army Medical Corps banket, having grommets installed at the corners and mid-points of the edges which permit tying a removable poncho liner with fabric ties to the other side.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
So, make a sleeping bag, which will be about 4 times the weight and bulk available?

I can take my 8C sleeping bag, and get more temperature range of use, than with my wool blanket, and it is less than half the weight/bulk. For the same weight/bulk, i can take my defense 4 from Carinthia, for -15C.

Your option will work in keeping you warmer since you trap more air in more layers, though won't get enough insulation from the ground from a compressed blanket. You'll still need a mat or something below you to insulate you where the insulation is compressed.
LOL just a cheap makeshift idea. Most people buy sleeping bags that are too hot for the conditions they camp. Most people are not toting their base camp gear long distances. Most people do not want to shell out for 5 or 6 sleeping bags. Most people have sense enough to put down a moisture barrier down regardless.

Fine try you -15C (5F) bag in +5C 41F weather.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Perspective provider.

Quote:
LOL just a cheap makeshift idea. Most people buy sleeping bags that are too hot for the conditions they camp. Most people are not toting their base camp gear long distances. Most people do not want to shell out for 5 or 6 sleeping bags. Most people have sense enough to put down a moisture barrier down regardless.

Fine try you -15C (5F) bag in +5C 41F weather.
Well, for the price of that one blanket, i got my defense 4 (which will work for the more extremes we can get here) and my tropen (5C, can easily take it down to freezing, with room to spare). Most of the time i actually use a cheap )35 euro) 14C comfort bag (600gr), which has no problem being used down to 5C together with my bivy. It packs down tiny too, and goes down a lot lower than my good wool blanket will.

Most people are hiking with their gear, but if you're not, sure, be my guest. The question was what our experiences are, and no blanket will ever beat a well rated bag in my experience.

Not sure what you mean by a moisture barrier, but i'm talking about compressed insulation below you. a blanket which you're laying on also doesn't trap a lot of air to insulate you from the ground. A blanket will not insulate you from the ground if it's freezing. Try sleeping without a mat (with adequate insulation value), and the ground will leech a lot of heat from you. I've experienced that in the past, by trying it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:28 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,460 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
You will be much warmer if you use your blanket as a sleeping bag liner rather than a cover. As a cover the blanket actually compresses the insulation of the sleeping bag.
FOR WHEN it gets REEEEAAALLLYYYY cold,
I have a wool flannel liner for my Slumberjack bag but unless it is getting into way below zero I don't use it because it will cook you in the bag.
Real down bag,
double zippers
wool flannel liner

Only way to get cold in that bag would be to be dead.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

What I use for a ground pad.
A G.I. insolite pad and on top of that a backpacker type inflatable air pad, not a thermarest. IMO thermarest pads cost and weight to much but they do work.
With my setup I have better ground insulation, a backup pad, protection for my nylon inflatable pad, and a thicker more comfortable sleeping pad system. My inflatable pad is also much lighter and reasonably compact, 4x8in /-. Yes the insolite is a bit bulky but I think it is a good trade for a good nites sleep.
I have also made my own bag cover which also add's protection and some extra warmth with minimal extra weight.
I used 2.5yds of 1.9oz water resistant nylon.
3yds of waterproof nylon, 2.2oz I think.
1yd. of bug net and a few ft. of nylon tape.
I sewed the 2.5 yds on top of the 3yds adding tape loops on the corners and edges on 3 sides. I then finished by sewing the bug net
around the open end.
I ended up with a bag cover that I can use as a trap and wind cover.
At night I put my clothes under the top cover with my sleeping bag.
The envelope cover ends up being a total of 5ftx9ft so I have entry of room.
I have also used it as an emergency wind cover/bag on top of a very cold pass one night, it worked great with just my clothes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post: