Thieves steal 22,000 apples - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Advertise Here

Easiest way to harvest and launder that many apples would be to add them to an existing commercial operation. L.E.O.s should look into competitors with a grudge or prior record. Apples don't fall far from the tree.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Copymutt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
That kind of thing happens more than you 'd think.

Tonight I stopped by a friend's place and checked the game cam's I put up around his catfish ponds.

Previously some commercial fisherman who came up here to deer hunt stole his catfish while he was away at work. (Well over $20k worth.)

Pull up and steal cows, go into the back side of your land with a skidsteer and steal logs....

My plan (to answer the OP) is 2 fold:

1. Distance from paved roads.
2. Make it a community resource so the community will protect them.
(Also have the "obvious" and the "hidden" so if one is stripped.... My needs are small.)

A couple winters ago at almond pollination time there was flooding that killed lots of beehives. For two summers after that it became quite common to hear about entire semi loads of hives being picked up from fields and stolen in the night. I thought that took a lot of balls to pull into an orchard with a semi, a forklift or two and a crew of men who are used to working around bees and steel a load of hives. It also made it pretty obvious that only other beekeepers would have the tools and knowledge to do a job like that.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOA1 View Post
See that all the time in so cal. They'll set up on the side of the road and sell it off. A little cheaper, but you're supporting theft if you buy it. They don't have many customers.

In Mexico, nobody would care.
I was just thinking about that, especially considering the proximity to Chicago. Very common to see an old paisa with his 1992 F-150 loaded with produce setting up shop right on the street.

The famous Humboldt Park has a lot of that going on. Usually its watermelons, but I bet a lot of apples and pumpkins will start being sold from the bed of pick-ups in these parts.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,507 Times in 1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Easiest way to harvest and launder that many apples would be to add them to an existing commercial operation. L.E.O.s should look into competitors with a grudge or prior record. Apples don't fall far from the tree.
The reports that I read in Michigan news sites was they they had been picked and crated already and that this field wasn't part of the main orchard and was several miles away.

Ok looks like I confused a couple things because the article is discussing 2 different produce thefts. Here is a link if you want to see them.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/201...n-orchard.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,173 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
A couple winters ago at almond pollination time there was flooding that killed lots of beehives. For two summers after that it became quite common to hear about entire semi loads of hives being picked up from fields and stolen in the night. I thought that took a lot of balls to pull into an orchard with a semi, a forklift or two and a crew of men who are used to working around bees and steel a load of hives. It also made it pretty obvious that only other beekeepers would have the tools and knowledge to do a job like that.
Bee's are mostly inactive at night. Pretty simple to plug the hive entrance with a rag & carefully lift the hive up onto a truck @ 2:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuggle Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggle Monkey View Post
Bee's are mostly inactive at night. Pretty simple to plug the hive entrance with a rag & carefully lift the hive up onto a truck @ 2:00 AM.
Not in my experience, they get really crawley at night, and they like crawling up. So a few hours later you end up with bees in your underwear, running around lake a mad man trying to get your pants off in front of a group of friends and stung on the butt.

But even if you don't have that experience, they weren't just taking one hive the were taking semi loads of them. Which meant at the very least pulling in with a semi and probably a fork lift and spending hours in a field they aren't supposed to be in. Being there that long, being that obvious and making that much noise is the part that takes balls(at least in my opinion)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,386 Times in 10,649 Posts

Just got back from checking my mail at the mailbox up at the County road. I happen to see the Road grader going by and spent a few minutes talking to the operator. He was out checking for damage after the big storm went through on Sunday night. He happened to tell me that he was none too happy that he had to call up and get some more diesel delivered today.

Seems that he had had it filled up on Monday before parking out overnight in the place he usually parks in when doing our neck of the woods. When he got there this morning, and started the grader, the tank was reading near empty! Someone had pumped out about 100 gals of fuel last night. Not a good thing for a small rural County to have to deal with that kind of theft. Probably means less road maintenance at some point.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Meth heads love their sweets.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 2,330 Times in 838 Posts

Thefts of AG products are actually really common in large quantities. They just usually happen after harvesting when they are on trucks, after all the hard work is done. The AG products are easy to resell to shady commercial outfits and are able to get the apples for a fraction of what they would usually pay. Sometimes the drivers of the trucks are directly or peripherally involved as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,498 Times in 573 Posts

A little light humor here. Once their was a farmer that kept losing watermelons to theft. One day he got wise and put up signs saying "There is one watermelon in this patch that is poisoned". The next day another sign read "There are 2 poison watermelons in this patch!"
Better come up with a way to protect whats yours!
The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 669 Posts

Rough! What a situation.

Preppers take note.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 711 Posts

I have seen a lot of small farmers from out in the sticks bring watermelons, pumpkins, etc into the city in a pickup (with or without trailer) and set up on the side of a big street(usually in the hood). They grew them, and usually have someone near them watching out for stick-up men. In the Latino neighborhoods, you see produce from Mexico being sold from step vans. No push carts here.
This is capitalism at work, they bring fresh veggies to the people, since the supermarkets are few and far between. I don't think thieves would work so hard to bring a couple of dollars a sale
The Following User Says Thank You to rt66paul For This Useful Post: