Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,517 Times in 779 Posts
Default Just Booked a Hog hunt

Advertise Here

Booked a Texas hog hunt for March, down around Abilene for My 2 sons and Myself, I am A Wyoming native and they reside in Montana, point is, we have all hunted elk, mule deer as well as white tails , antelope etc... northern big game.

So having never hunted these things any tips or recommendations from those of you who have, would be appreciated .

son 1 will use a 270
son 2 and my self will use 243's , and again we are all experienced hunters, i'm curious about things to look for in behavior , judging size, any basic do's and don'ts. Thank You in advance !
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,909 Times in 10,470 Posts

I look forward to hearing how this experience goes! It sounds awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 04:16 AM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,513 Times in 578 Posts

Watch out for strays. When one goes to squealin, they are very protective of each udder. Never been on organized hunt, Used to hunt em with dogs. That is really the best way, more excitement! HeeHee
Have fun and be safe!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 PM
Trapper

Lol , no dogs on this one, this is kind of a canned hunt on a ranch, we all get the chance to take 2 hogs, but more than the hunting this is a dad and his 2 boys kind of deal, should be fun.

I'm wondering the best size for eating? Shoot a boar or a sow ? Are they gamey ? I know they are nocturnal? But can we expect to see them at dusk or a little before?

Lots of questions lol
Old 10-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Trapper

And I will update, Pete

I'll try to get some pics up as well
The Following User Says Thank You to ECF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,201 Times in 9,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECF View Post
Lol , no dogs on this one, this is kind of a canned hunt on a ranch, we all get the chance to take 2 hogs, but more than the hunting this is a dad and his 2 boys kind of deal, should be fun.

I'm wondering the best size for eating? Shoot a boar or a sow ? Are they gamey ? I know they are nocturnal? But can we expect to see them at dusk or a little before?

Lots of questions lol
If you're looking to eat them, go for the small ones or the sows

After their balls drop, they get very musky

At least you chose some good cartridges! Aim for the head, right around the ear if possible

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Trapper

Head shots ? Well that's good advice I was wondering if you lung shot them like a deer....thanks for the tip !
Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,873 Times in 5,301 Posts

A friend of my husband's went on a hog hunt and gave us a leg. I found the taste of the meat to be stronger, and so I marinaded it in a mixture of soy, ginger, and dried orange peel. It made a good stir-fry

Happy hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Here in my part of Texas we shoot hogs by the droves! Lung shots will result in lost hogs, always try for the ear or base of the skull. These areas are very large on feral hogs and will result in the hog simply dropping and doing what we call the "Curley Shuffle". Any of the aforementioned rifles will work well. I've killed them with everything from the .22 magnum and .22 Hornet all the way up to .450 Marlin.

Re: best eating. This is always a guessing game, you will probably know when you start cleaning and butchering it. If the meat has a strong, offensive smell, just leave it there, otherwise it is typically a very good meat. Oftentimes here we will just remove all four legs, roll him over and remove the straps and leave the rest for the coyotes and 'coons.

March in Abilene, probably going to be very windy and probably cold. Guess you and your boys are used to that though.

I hope you and your boys have a wonderful time.
The Following User Says Thank You to LC '92 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,744 Times in 774 Posts

both calibers are fine - i would suggest the Barnes X or Hornady GMX bullets - hogs in the winter have their on bandage on them - long hair, wool an dirt all together soaks up a lot of blood an often will not drop until all above mentions is saturated (lost hog) - in front of the front shoulders is a great place to think thru a shot on - also be sure to study the skeletal system of the spine - the "razor back" is due to extended vertebrate height - these extended vertebrates cause the hair to stand up an you can easily shoot thru no mans land thinking you are about to drill spine ( I did this) - big hogs can tote off a marginal shot so just be ready to make good ones - good luck an enjoy yourselves
The Following User Says Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,590 Times in 1,195 Posts

LAST HOG hunt I did I was using my Ruger Redhawk in .41mag using some SERIOUS loads.
ANYWAY, after I got my pig I was walking around sightseeing and just taking my time. I was crossing this field when a boar came out on the other side. I was a good 200 yds away.. and it charged. WTF????

I wasn't bothering it I was even downwind of it. But it saw me and came. Well crap. I was too far from the trees and I didn't want to have to pay for another pig. And the pig came...
Finally I just sort of drew a line in the sand and decided that if piggy crossed the line I was going to dump it in self defense and deal with the $$ issue later. I really wasn't concerned about stopping it because the handload I was using could shoot through a T-Rex. Over the years I killed 3 different hogs with the load, I never recovered a bullet.
Piggy must have figured things were not going his way because about 15 feet from the death line it broke off and went back into the trees. They bluff charge.. but sometimes they don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,590 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Booked a Texas hog hunt for March, down around Abilene for My 2 sons and Myself, !
How much are they paying you?

WITH the problems they are having with hogs they should be paying people to come there and remove them from the gene pool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 PM

If you plan on eating them don't shoot the ones that have nuts on them tastes just like a smell but a big bar has been castrated and nice fat sow they are good but he looking for a trophy she the ones got big teeth
The Following User Says Thank You to Bishopj For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote:
Booked a Texas hog hunt for March, down around Abilene for My 2 sons and Myself, I am A Wyoming native and they reside in Montana, point is, we have all hunted elk, mule deer as well as white tails , antelope etc... northern big game.

So having never hunted these things any tips or recommendations from those of you who have, would be appreciated .

son 1 will use a 270
son 2 and my self will use 243's , and again we are all experienced hunters, i'm curious about things to look for in behavior , judging size, any basic do's and don'ts. Thank You in advance !
Hog as in fat woman?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Hunter/Survivor

Some of those west texas game ranches have feeders that shoot or drop corn to lure the critters in. The Hogs like to come in as its getting dark or during the first hour of nightfall so optics that enhance in low light are good. As was previously stated, it will start getting cold around this time but then again you northern guys know real cold...
Its tempting to shoot the big ones but only the small young ones are good to eat. The rancher where I hunted made breakfast sausage out of the big ones and they were gamey but we ate em. Good Hunting with your sons.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:21 AM
Trapper

That is kind of what I was thinking to do with our meat, sausage of some kind, all of our scopes are upper end and will perform in low light, a lot of our shots up here for deer in particular are around dusk , I'm looking forward to this hunt for many reasons.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Padre in the woods

Thanked 1,104 Times in 387 Posts

I'll be following this thread, and interested in the discussion. I hunted pig decades ago, with a S&W 125 357. Today, and at age 66, and with arthritis, I think I'm more inclined to take the long shot with something having a nice scope and some distance.

A fellow at the gun store recommended Springfield M1A Standard Profile with a ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20X scope. That's about $2,200 of gun, and it seems to me to a little excessive. I would enjoy hearing from some of you who have "walked the walk" in taking pig from a distance.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,949 Times in 540 Posts

For those that are curious, here's a link that shows what equipment a local hog hunting company uses. Their stuff looks very expensive.

http://nighthogs.com/Equipment.html

Apparently they do night hunting and provide the weapons and night vision stuff. Looks like it'd be kinda fun but I've never tried them.

I hunt hogs the easy way anyhow, I just use a corn bait mix, a trap, and a .22lr.

And OP have fun on your trip. I bet it'll be a blast.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:51 PM

There is a very active section on hog hunting over at arfcom.

Be forewarned, Them Boys Ain't Right.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Hog-Hunting/9/
Old 10-27-2019, 06:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,630 Posts

Just saying because Forrest does not do fat women! I love women but they do have to actually have the ability to turn me on! Even if Forrest has partaken of too much!