Reusing paper coffee filters WTSHTF - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,962 Times in 13,151 Posts

Advertise Here

a mechanical press of some kind seems the obvious solution. you want to be able to clean this thing. cleanliness is important in the best of times. in the worst of times it's important to not get sick.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,928 Times in 7,100 Posts

Assuming you are using a percolator type coffee pot.

You can usually find metal mesh basket type coffee filters at thrift stores for 99 cents.
Or, new ones at Walmart for around $6.

Simple to drill a tight fitting hole through the center of the basket, that fits your percolator stem.

Then there is no need for PAPER coffee filters.
Simply store it inside your percolator.

I made a couple for every coffee percolator our BOL family group has.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,030 Times in 538 Posts

No filter needed for old-timey "cowboy coffee."

There's bad cowboy coffee and there's good cowboy coffee. Here's how to do both: https://driftaway.coffee/how-do-you-make-cowboy-coffee/

This 'un is the good way (quoted from the above link):

Add water to your pot and bring it to a boil.

Once the water’s boiling, remove the pot from your fire and let it sit for 30 seconds. This will lower the water temperature to 200°F — the perfect temperature for brewing coffee.

Add 2 tablespoons of finely ground coffee for every 8 ounces of water. (You may want to measure how much water your pot holds and how much coffee a spoon you bring holds before going camping so you can measure accurately.)
Stir the grounds into the water.

Let the brew sit for 2 minutes and stir again.

Let the coffee sit for 2 more minutes.

After a total of 4 minutes of brewing, sprinkle a little cold water on the grounds. Yes, this actually does help them settle to the bottom.

Slowly pour the coffee, so the grounds remain on the bottom of the pot.

Your coffee will taste best if it’s poured immediately after brewing. Coffee that sits in a pot with grounds will quickly become over-extracted and bitter. If you’d like a second cup, either brew another pot or pack a thermal carafe to keep your coffee hot in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,076 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
As mentioned: Percolators, Turkish coffee maker, Stove top espresso, permanent filters, French press, cowboy coffee etc.

One of the better cups of brew coffee I've ever had was done via pour over using a reusable fabric coffee filter, flannel I assume. A tiny café in Khatmandu Nepal, made fantastic banana pancakes as well.
Oh & adding Vietnamese Coffee filter to the no paper options.

Forgot about those types, and we have a bunch. Pretty tasty too, almost an espresso, but not quite. Like a coffee concentrate. Mmmm split with sweetened condensed milk, as they do.

Edit, adding: Bodum stovetop vacuum type. Makes a SUPER SMOOTH cup, YUM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vietnamese coffee filter #2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	293148   Click image for larger version

Name:	bodum-santos-vacuum-coffee-brewer.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	293150  
Old 10-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,684 Times in 785 Posts

Why even use paper filters?? Get the brass wire basket filters.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,573 Times in 20,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticAmerican View Post
Why even use paper filters?? Get the brass wire basket filters.
They both do slightly different things.
Paper absorbs oils from the coffee that are said to be unhealthy.

and paper gives a longer contact time.

Also, you might clog your drain faster if you are rinsing grounds down the drain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:18 AM
just surviving

Well, for real preppers/survivalists, you're putting the grounds in the garden or compost.

I'm going to try just reusing the paper filters. I've often reused grounds plus filter for a 2nd cup but it filters much more slowly the 2nd time.

I wish I could find alternatives to the powders that don't dissolve well (powdered milk, cinnamon, etc.). Dry powders keep well and are light weight but they never dissolve well. Oh well, time for another cup.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,659 Times in 629 Posts

Has anyone here brewed two year old roasted and ground coffee? It's terrible!

It probably still retains most of it's caffein but, it is bitter and acrid from the oils going rancid, even when properly stored. I still have about 8 pounds of ground coffee stored with my longterm victuals. Since trying and hating the taste of the coffee I have stored, i began buying freeze dried coffee crystals. I'll try these in about 2 or 3 more years, just for quality control but, the stored ground coffee is for emergency caffein highs only, at this point.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:17 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,293 Posts

2 words..... Instant Coffee
Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg777 View Post
Has anyone here brewed two year old roasted and ground coffee? It's terrible!

It probably still retains most of it's caffein but, it is bitter and acrid from the oils going rancid, even when properly stored. I still have about 8 pounds of ground coffee stored with my longterm victuals. Since trying and hating the taste of the coffee I have stored, i began buying freeze dried coffee crystals. I'll try these in about 2 or 3 more years, just for quality control but, the stored ground coffee is for emergency caffein highs only, at this point.
Actually I bought a case of Medaglio d'oro espresso cans about 7 years ago. Only used a few cans so decided to use them up if still good. Can't notice any degradation. They are all metal cans, and probably packed in N2. They certainly are fine after 7 yrs, which surprised the heck out of me.

Now if you are talking about Folgers in a plastic container, yeah, that stuff is barely drinkable when new and the plastic permeability would make it age badly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Interesting but how do you plan to power your coffee pot if the grid is down? I have 1000 filters but figure I would switch over to my old peculator coffee pot when we lost power. I believe a coffee pot pulls a lot of watts.
Actually, Coleman makes a stove top drip coffee maker. It will work on a gas stove, camp stove, or even a wood stove. I have one and use it when we have a power outage. Still uses a paper filter though, but as others have said, there are workarounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldandcrotchety For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,148 Times in 3,473 Posts

I would worry about possible mold with reusing paper filters. At less than 1¢ a filter, no reason not to have a few years worth of filters. You'd be far more likely to run out of coffee before you ran out of filters.

I have a variety of ways to make my coffee. I have a normal drip machine. This one came with a reusable mesh coffee filter. I still prefer a paper filter in it, as I can just take that and throw it in the compost bucket, rather than dumping the mesh filter out in the bucket and then having to wash it out in the sink (and get coffee grounds down the drain).

I also have a french press. I like this way.

I have a pour over filter (http://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Pour-Cone...dp/B07MG2J742/ ). But it doesn't work as well as it originally did (takes a very long time, while it originally took 30-60 seconds). Other reviews say similar - I think these need to have course ground coffee, otherwise some of the coffee sludge gets stuck in the filter, even if you wash it/scrub it. But otherwise it made good coffee.

I also have a cold brew coffee maker (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNTLF8M/). This has a large metal filter that goes inside the jar.

I have learned that with all but the drip machine, you really want coarsely ground coffee, otherwise you get quite a bit of coffee "sludge".

And then I have one for tea - www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEFC7M2/ I really like this - it's a metal filter that fits in the cup. You can put tea or even coffee grounds.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,148 Times in 3,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonereb View Post
Well, for real preppers/survivalists, you're putting the grounds in the garden or compost.

I'm going to try just reusing the paper filters. I've often reused grounds plus filter for a 2nd cup but it filters much more slowly the 2nd time.

I wish I could find alternatives to the powders that don't dissolve well (powdered milk, cinnamon, etc.). Dry powders keep well and are light weight but they never dissolve well. Oh well, time for another cup.
When I was a teen I worked at a fast food restaurant. They served coffee. I had never made coffee before and had never had any. One day one of the managers asked me to make a new thing of coffee. We used pre-measured bags. Well, I opened up the coffee machine, but the grounds inside still looked nice and black to me, and I thought they'd still be good. So instead of dumping them out and putting in a new bag, I left them in and pressed the button. And the coffee looked like coffee. So I put it out on the counter and didn't think anything of it.

An hour or so later the manager goes to get a cup of coffee, takes a sip, and immediately spits it out. Then dumped the whole pot out and made another!

That was when I learned that you can't reuse the grounds!
Old 10-27-2019, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,928 Times in 7,100 Posts

Our LTS coffee supply & NO filter needed (stores about forever)

We use ground coffee at our BOL, so long as it lasts in a SHTF event.

Our BOL coffee grounds are saved & scattered over our night-crawler fishing bait bed.
Nightcrawlers love them.
A night-crawler bed gives us almost instant access to a HUGE amount of night-crawlers any time we want for bait.

More than once, I have used a new paper coffee filter to hold small foraged fire starter tinder crushed into a ball. Ferro rod sparks will ignite the paper & in-turn the paper will ignite the tinder it holds.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:04 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,176 Times in 7,778 Posts

What is your realistic life expectancy in a world that cannot produce coffee filters? What is the realistic "supply" of coffee in a world that cannot produce coffee filters?

Either coffee runs out, trade ends, or your life ends long before you run out of coffee filters.

Coffee filters are about 1 penny each. 1000 is less than 10 dollars. That's over 3 years worth every day.

Or a metal filter, which I have several of.

I doubt you'll live long enough or have enough coffee to use 3+ years worth of filters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 02:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,381 Times in 1,356 Posts

I may not live long enough...but I will have coffee for at least a couple years. Even with bartering. But I have more than the average bear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 04:12 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,293 Posts

But how many K cups do you have stored away?
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,381 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
But how many K cups do you have stored away?
Not my preferred method...but I have the machinery to make them and an inventory of cups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

Thanked 1,194 Times in 530 Posts

More of just a camping thing, but I spend a lot of time in hotels for work. I have taken to keeping any unused coffee packet from my room. The K-cup style get used at home, but some hotels still have single serve drip type in small tea bag like packets. Those go in a ziploc for use camping. Works just fine, just have to get the steep time down.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:41 PM

Would you say it's a "steep" learning curve?

Don't forget to tip your waitresses, I'm here all week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post: