Reusing paper coffee filters WTSHTF - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-20-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Reusing paper coffee filters WTSHTF

Advertise Here

Hardly worth doing for something that cost 3/4 of a penny but I got to thinking what if.
Well, more likely we would run out of coffee or the ability to brew it before filters But, still

If I had to. for whatever reason. can I reuse them and for how long?
So, while I have like a thousand of them now I thought I would experiment

I use Walmart's Great Value small basket filters which run $1.39 + tax =$1.50 for 200.
After one use I dump the grounds and rinse off the filter placing it on a cup to simulate its shape. I was able with care to reuse the filter for 10 days or about 20 two cup brewing.
After 3 or so days the paper becomes softer and therefore it is harder to form it to remain stable so it does not collapse while brewing allowing some of the grounds to get by it and into the pot.
Even when this occurs there are very very few and not a big deal

Since it is more likely I would run out of coffee before filters I would likely go to reuse in a SHTF situation reusing a filter 4-6 times where it maintains rigidity and is easy to dry and reuse

Just one of those was wondering what I would do and figured better to see now than have to deal with it later in the great what if

This might well be one of the most boring threads posted on a prep topic but I digress
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wulfmann For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 06:36 PM

French press.

https://www.illy.com/en-us/coffee/co...a-french-press
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,456 Times in 1,375 Posts

Or, get a permanent filter. Preferably one of the original Swissgold filters. Finely perforated metal to hold solids back and plated with genuine gold so it has a neutral effect on flavor. You can find plenty of newer competitors that use a fine stainless steel mesh but somehow they do not result in as good a cup. I still have a Swissgold cone filter that's gotta be close to 30 years old now. If the coffee oils build up on it, soak it in Oxyclean for a half hour or so. The oils will rinse right off.
Or just make cowboy coffee. It still tastes great!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 07:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 7,008 Times in 1,088 Posts

Interesting but how do you plan to power your coffee pot if the grid is down? I have 1000 filters but figure I would switch over to my old peculator coffee pot when we lost power. I believe a coffee pot pulls a lot of watts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,344 Posts

Back when I made pour over coffee using a folded cone filter some company sold a cloth filter to fit the holder. I thought about having my wife sew one never did.

My current coffee maker simulates pour over and the filter basket sits on top of the thermal carafe. When the power goes off I can heat water by other means and do the pour over. I use Brew Right basket filters 200 for $1.49, maybe a piece of cloth would work in it. Army coffee urns used a cloth filter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,974 Times in 3,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
Or, get a permanent filter. Preferably one of the original Swissgold filters. Finely perforated metal to hold solids back and plated with genuine gold so it has a neutral effect on flavor. You can find plenty of newer competitors that use a fine stainless steel mesh but somehow they do not result in as good a cup. I still have a Swissgold cone filter that's gotta be close to 30 years old now. If the coffee oils build up on it, soak it in Oxyclean for a half hour or so. The oils will rinse right off.
Or just make cowboy coffee. It still tastes great!

This...well two actually so you have a backup .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Back when I made pour over coffee using a folded cone filter some company sold a cloth filter to fit the holder. I thought about having my wife sew one never did.

My current coffee maker simulates pour over and the filter basket sits on top of the thermal carafe. When the power goes off I can heat water by other means and do the pour over. I use Brew Right basket filters 200 for $1.49, maybe a piece of cloth would work in it. Army coffee urns used a cloth filter.
Pour over is how we make coffee every day. We use an electric kettle to heat the water but if the power is out we can use the woodstove in winter, or one of our propane or butane stoves.
We do use paper cone filters right now for simplicity but you are right, any cotton fabric will do. Or the permanent metal filter.
Modern drip coffee makers are just automated pour overs.
As mentioned, french press is a good option, too. There's also a cool little contraption called an Aeropress that does a good job.
If you can heat water, you can make coffee. Come to think of it, cold brew is yet another option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,188 Times in 909 Posts

Go to the thrift store and buy a high thread count pillow case.
Cut out the corners.
Use with cone shaped device.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:39 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,666 Times in 20,432 Posts

Just to toss out another option, they sell those fill by yourself tea bags.

Put the coffee in there and brew like tea.

Since reading this thread, I decided to give it a try. It is brewing in front of me now. Tastes good so far. really smooth. Not sure how long it should seep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a back packing trip, make up a few coffee filled tea bags and make easy coffee on the trail.

Wow, it really is better! No bitterness like in my normal drip machine.

A couple things I don't care for with the permanent filters is that it does not remove the oil that is supposedly a negative for health, and that it tends to let the water drain through more quickly and perhaps rob you of some of the flavor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 11:48 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 2,330 Times in 838 Posts

Why? These can be used on a propane stove or a campfire. Filters are just more stuff to store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3179wTZZYrL.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	293100
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavasu View Post
Why? These can be used on a propane stove or a campfire. Filters are just more stuff to store.

Attachment 293100
For me....percolators are the last method of brewing that I would choose. But coffee is one of the few things I have a little snobbery about. Well, coffee and cigars.

The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Interesting but how do you plan to power your coffee pot if the grid is down? I have 1000 filters but figure I would switch over to my old peculator coffee pot when we lost power. I believe a coffee pot pulls a lot of watts.

Change over to what is locally known as a wog pot.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/ava...SABEgKfBvD_BwE

Does a pretty good coffee. I use mine camping. A good coffee is worth a bit of effort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Change over to what is locally known as a wog pot.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/ava...SABEgKfBvD_BwE

Does a pretty good coffee. I use mine camping. A good coffee is worth a bit of effort.
My brother gave me one of those years ago and I have never tried it. I'll have to get it out and try it.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Almost all my life I prefer to use Turkish cezve to make coffee. It does not require filters, it can be used even on a campfire or, in general, on any heat source. In addition, if you cook your coffee slowly over low heat, it turns out to be much tastier than that prepared in a coffee maker or percolator.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHmuriy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Just to toss out another option, they sell those fill by yourself tea bags.

Put the coffee in there and brew like tea.

Since reading this thread, I decided to give it a try. It is brewing in front of me now. Tastes good so far. really smooth. Not sure how long it should seep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a back packing trip, make up a few coffee filled tea bags and make easy coffee on the trail.

Wow, it really is better! No bitterness like in my normal drip machine.

A couple things I don't care for with the permanent filters is that it does not remove the oil that is supposedly a negative for health, and that it tends to let the water drain through more quickly and perhaps rob you of some of the flavor.
I just use the folgers single coffee bags. Basically the samething. I agree with you about the Permanent filters. As you have to do is put a paper filter over the permanent to fix that problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truckersurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:40 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,666 Times in 20,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckersurvivor View Post
I just use the folgers single coffee bags. Basically the samething. I agree with you about the Permanent filters. As you have to do is put a paper filter over the permanent to fix that problem.
Yup, those work too. But this is like DIY. Probably saves a little money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 956 Posts

As mentioned: Percolators, Turkish coffee maker, Stove top espresso, permanent filters, French press, cowboy coffee etc.

One of the better cups of brew coffee I've ever had was done via pour over using a reusable fabric coffee filter, flannel I assume. A tiny café in Khatmandu Nepal, made fantastic banana pancakes as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post
Hardly worth doing for something that cost 3/4 of a penny but I got to thinking what if.

Well, more likely we would run out of coffee or the ability to brew it before filters But, still

If I had to. for whatever reason. can I reuse them and for how long?

So, while I have like a thousand of them now I thought I would experiment

I use Walmart's Great Value small basket filters which run $1.39 + tax =$1.50 for 200.

After one use I dump the grounds and rinse off the filter placing it on a cup to simulate its shape. I was able with care to reuse the filter for 10 days or about 20 two cup brewing.

After 3 or so days the paper becomes softer and therefore it is harder to form it to remain stable so it does not collapse while brewing allowing some of the grounds to get by it and into the pot.

Even when this occurs there are very very few and not a big deal

Since it is more likely I would run out of coffee before filters I would likely go to reuse in a SHTF situation reusing a filter 4-6 times where it maintains rigidity and is easy to dry and reuse

Just one of those was wondering what I would do and figured better to see now than have to deal with it later in the great what if

This might well be one of the most boring threads posted on a prep topic but I digress

I haven’t read every post so this may have been pointed out already but a decent cup/pot of coffee can be made without filters.
Dump a coarse grind directly in the water, heat it up for a while then just before pouring add a small amount of cold water which tends to pull the grinds to the bottom of the pot. Pour slowly to keep grinds in pot.

It has been quite some time since I was shown this method and I may have missed a step but I believe they call it “cowboy coffee” or some such so you could probably look it up.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Prepared

I agree with corpus , I have 20 different means to make coffe, but a year or so ago I saw a cowboy cook on u tube , and he just dumps a quart of water to a1/4 cup of coffee warm water till it gets hot dump grins in the pot give it a hard boil for 4 min it’s let it sit a minuet and dump some cold water in the pot .???? Really nothing to it .
I just drink the coffe till it’s gone .
But make a new pot every morning .
The Following User Says Thank You to wellbuilt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Prepared

Wifey gets ****ed because you can’t get the grinds out of the pot easy but she’s a tea drinker