Can I use this hand pump in place of electric? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 10-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Default Can I use this hand pump in place of electric?

Advertise Here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0440_444421960

My house water is from a shallow well using a 1HP 115V Goulds pump.
I do not know the depth of the well. Could be 30 could be 50 no idea.

If TSHTF could I attach a hand pump (like above link) to get the water from this well?
Even unfiltered it is decent to drink (would still purify)
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2019, 12:03 PM

You definitely need to know the depth your well. The specs on this say less than 30 feet. Often times your pressure tank will have a badge that at least indicates who installed the well or serviced the well in the past. They may have records on the depth of the well - or often the badge will have the well specs on it.

My parents added a hand pump to their “relatively” shallow well - it was outdoors and worked great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arizonasportsman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,187 Times in 909 Posts

Take a look at these

https://www.bisonpumps.com/product/s...eep-well-pump/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,945 Times in 925 Posts
Exclamation

You need to measure how far down the water is not how deep the well is!

Drop a weighted string down and see how far down the water is. After that you can made some educated decisions.

There are several manual pumps that are designed to live with electric pumps. Most can be used anytime you want without bothering the electric pump.

SD
The Following User Says Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
I am guessing those are not cheap. They do not show pricing at all kind of if you have to ask you can't afford it????
They do look like a quality product

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
You need to measure how far down the water is not how deep the well is!

Drop a weighted string down and see how far down the water is. After that you can made some educated decisions.

There are several manual pumps that are designed to live with electric pumps. Most can be used anytime you want without bothering the electric pump.
SD
My well is 100 feet away from my house in take and makes 2 90 turns from the head which is sealed.

My take is I will hook up a hand pump if it does not work I will dig a well (high water table) dump a bunch of white rock and pull water from say 10" down with it to have something/anything
We also get a lot of rain in Florida and managing the dry season is doable if one has a brain

Another option is to drive a deep well to the artesian aquifer. Even if the pressure does not bring the water all the way up it is usually within a few feet (depending on your elevation)
Likely the best idea
Old 10-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,050 Posts

I liked using those pumps when I was a teenager. 15 minutes of energetic pumping, hear the water slowly rise up the pipe, pump it 95 times to raise the water and 5 times to fill the bucket...

50 years, one heart attack and 160 more pounds later - no.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,235 Times in 2,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonasportsman View Post
You definitely need to know the depth your well. The specs on this say less than 30 feet. Often times your pressure tank will have a badge that at least indicates who installed the well or serviced the well in the past. They may have records on the depth of the well - or often the badge will have the well specs on it.

My parents added a hand pump to their “relatively” shallow well - it was outdoors and worked great.
My pressure tank is buried four feet deep beside the well.... Thankfully this is a very rural area with little population so everyone knows everyone else past and present. The two well guys that have been on my place both immediately knew exactly who put in my well just by how it was set up. I have since completely redone it as having my 220 electric box with the pressure switch and that friggin two foot long metal rod that had to speared into a receptor two feet below with a big electric box connected to the top was a nightmare to get back in place when you had to work on it.

I used many a hand pump well growing up, they were great but as others are posting they don't pull water from very deep.

Worst case scenario you could run a windmill to mechanically run a surface pump and ball valve at the bottom, outputting the water into a cistern system as farmers used to do way back when. When there is enough wind you are slowly filling your storage tank.

I bought a large hand pump years ago for pumping old oil out of shops oil storage tanks so that I could use it on my farm, man just getting 20 gallons of oil out of a tank is quite a feat by hand. It takes a surprising amount of power to pull any fluid up against gravity.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:37 PM

You need to know the static water level + the draw down for the amount of water you will be pumping. That should not be a problem with a hand pump. When putting a pump like this put a foot valve on the drop pipe inside of the well casing. Also keep the leathers wet and in good condition on the pump.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post

My well is 100 feet away from my house in take and makes 2 90 turns from the head which is sealed.

My take is I will hook up a hand pump if it does not work I will dig a well (high water table) dump a bunch of white rock and pull water from say 10" down with it to have something/anything
We also get a lot of rain in Florida and managing the dry season is doable if one has a brain

Another option is to drive a deep well to the artesian aquifer. Even if the pressure does not bring the water all the way up it is usually within a few feet (depending on your elevation)
Likely the best idea
You PLAN to do those things but when will you? On the first day of the power outage or the tenth? Or wait until everything has gone to heck? Will it be easier to do it after SHTF when you are thirsty and hungry and in a hurry and can't go to the hardware store to buy those parts you didn't realize you needed to make it work? Or would it be easier to do it now? When you have power and running water and time and any part you could possibly need is a short drive a few bucks away at the local hardware store?

I am not picking on you just pointing out it is better to do it now then wait until after SHTF. As an example I have a point in my back yard and thought it may be a good idea to drive a hidden one in my basement. I already had all the parts for the basement one after years of collecting second hand parts here and there. I had tons of trouble driving it. The threads of the point busted of about two feet below my basement floor. I had to use a vacuum to suck the dirt out of the hole so I could get to the point out, then I welded a coupler to the broken point, Then I had to buy a new coupler and a new driving cap. At this point I have it 13 feet below my basement, stuck in rock or clay and can't drive it further or pull it up. I tried pumping hundreds of gallons of water down the hole to try and loosen it up. At this point it is totally stuck just a foot or two away from water and will probably have to abandon it.

I would suggest not to wait until SHTF to try and get something as important as clean water figured out. Do it now when it is "easy" and your life doesn't depend on it. And then test it, a lot. Make sure it works and you can live with it.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post

I've used the pitcher pumps you posted a photo of in the opening post.

As a practical matter they are good to about 20 feet. If you have a single pipe from your well to the pump, then probably your well is shallow enough that one would work.

For the pitcher pumps you would want to get a good one from Lehman's or someplace else that is reliable. It should have a machined cylinder, ideally made of brass rather than iron, if you're actually going to use it. The $50 ones at home centers are best understood as being good for decor or maybe pumping water out of a cistern or barrel.