Let’s talk batteries. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2019, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,064 Times in 446 Posts
Default Let’s talk batteries.

Advertise Here

Battery storage is an issue I’m concerned with. Any thing that uses lithium ion batteries is an issue since they don’t store very long and go bad if not recharged. How do you guys handle this ? There is a company that makes 20 year shelf life rechargeables but I can’t find them anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Target Shooter

While many of my rechargeable batteries get used enough to require regular recharging I have some spares that rarely get used. Once a year I pull them all out and run them through the charger to make sure they stay good.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Galt 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,123 Times in 8,874 Posts

I'm very happy with my Eneloops in AA or AAA. They claim 70% of the charge at 7 years with like 2100 charging cycles for less than $3 each. Even at half or a quarter of that they are still a bargain over the throwaways.

I bought a Nitecore I4 charger with the optional 12 V DC cord. It does lots of different batteries besides my AA, AAA like 18560's and my Tenergy D cells. Works in the car or with my solar panels.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,922 Times in 7,098 Posts

If you want the absolute best, IMHO Panasonic’s eneloop batteries are it.
Those & a 4 - 6 or 8 slot smart charger that fits all the common sized rechargeable batteries.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 AM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,195 Posts

The Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries have a 20 year shelf life, leak proof & have a wide temperature range they function in as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,872 Times in 4,191 Posts

I like the performance of the newer Lithium-ion batteries, but I have Eneloops that are almost 15 years old, they still work. I haven't measured, but I figure their capacity is lower. I use them for the TV and other remotes. I have newer Eneloop batteries that I keep charged and rotate through other devices and lights.

I still stock some standard Lithium batteries for my tactical lights and WML's. I rotate through them when I do low-light training. I know most lithium batteries have a 10-year shelf life, but I have some going on 15 years (batteries in my wife's light in her car, which I need to change out!).

Battery rotation and charging management are critical components for longevity. Get a good management tracking system, a good charger/refresher and identify your battery needs and types. Initial investments can be steep, but you can work your way into a good stock within a year or two if put in the effort to grab sales and deals.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Anyone have the LiFePo4 in AA AAA or 9v?

I have a couple 12v 100AH batteries for my Toy Hauler and they work pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fitter32 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 04:56 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
If you want the absolute best, IMHO Panasonic’s eneloop batteries are it.
Those & a 4 - 6 or 8 slot smart charger that fits all the common sized rechargeable batteries.
The amazon batteries are the same as the enloop. Just rebranded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:20 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,922 Times in 7,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Can you be more specific? Amazon has lots of batteries.
Provide a link please.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Quote:
Can you be more specific? Amazon has lots of batteries.
Provide a link please.
The amazon white rechargeables that are made now, not the old ones. The first where some Chinese manufacturer but they moved to a a Japanese company thought to be the same. The batteries test the same discharge rate , capacity etc. .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM

My vote is also for the Eneloops, disposable lithium Energizer and all in plastic boxes according to their shape / size. Li-Ion batteries should be stored with about 60% of their charge, but that depends on the battery and its capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Niveles de carga para varias Li-Ion 18650.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	293108  
The Following User Says Thank You to JefeMaestro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Cactus_Joe

Default Wow... freaky, as I have been wrestling with this very thing...

So, I am a full-time, retired, RV'er and my RV is also my 'Bugout' vehicle... along with my 4X4 TOAD.

I have just completed the design of my new solar-powered system that I will be installing on and in my rig.

I want to be able to run the A/C for a few hours a day and it all came down to battery storage. I pondered wet-cell, AGM, and LiFePO4 systems... exhaustively running down each avenue and here's the Knut-cutting...

Lead Acid - Cheap, reliable, need maintenance, heavy, and fewer charging cycles.

AGM - Expensive, reliable, no maintenance, can be set on side, good-grief even heavier, but with many more charge cycles.

LiFePO4 - Good golly, Molly these bad boys will wreck a pocketbook, no maintenance, third the weight of wet, can be set on side, and thousands of charge cycles.

I almost bit the bullet and purchased 2 LiFePO4 (24v - 400Ah) batteries... almost posted the order yesterday.

Then I realized LiFePO4 batteries have an Achille's Heel with respect to a survival situation... each battery has and needs a BMS controller to keep them from turning into BOMBS. An EMP will fry all of those on-board BMS systems and turn each LiFePO4 battery into a potential bomb.

So I have decided upon AGM at the expense of weight and depth of charger for a battery that will absolutely work no matter what happens.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus_Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 PM

I'm a flashoholic with many flashlights so I have li-ion, AA, AAA, CR123, etc. If you have something that uses AA/AAA, The best and only options to go for are Eneloop rechargeables and lithium primaries. Lithium primaries have more capacity than alkalines and have close to a 20 year shelf life. Eneloops also have good capacity and will still hold around 70% of their charge after like 5 or 10 years. I you have a genny or solar setup, you have a way to charge them. Also, lithium ions don't drain as fast as you think. Around 90% of my lights use li-ion cells so I have like 6 cells stored in my BOB for my lights. A fully charged li-ion cell is 4.2 volts. A completely dead one is like 2.5-2.7 volts. I pull my cells out of my bag every 6 months or so to top them off. One time I forgot and it was almost a year before I topped them off and they were still around 4 volts. Li-ion cells last longer than you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blood Red Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_Joe View Post
So, I am a full-time, retired, RV'er and my RV is also my 'Bugout' vehicle... along with my 4X4 TOAD.

I have just completed the design of my new solar-powered system that I will be installing on and in my rig.

I want to be able to run the A/C for a few hours a day and it all came down to battery storage. I pondered wet-cell, AGM, and LiFePO4 systems... exhaustively running down each avenue and here's the Knut-cutting...

Lead Acid - Cheap, reliable, need maintenance, heavy, and fewer charging cycles.

AGM - Expensive, reliable, no maintenance, can be set on side, good-grief even heavier, but with many more charge cycles.

LiFePO4 - Good golly, Molly these bad boys will wreck a pocketbook, no maintenance, third the weight of wet, can be set on side, and thousands of charge cycles.

I almost bit the bullet and purchased 2 LiFePO4 (24v - 400Ah) batteries... almost posted the order yesterday.

Then I realized LiFePO4 batteries have an Achille's Heel with respect to a survival situation... each battery has and needs a BMS controller to keep them from turning into BOMBS. An EMP will fry all of those on-board BMS systems and turn each LiFePO4 battery into a potential bomb.

So I have decided upon AGM at the expense of weight and depth of charger for a battery that will absolutely work no matter what happens.

Cheers.

Just consider that in the long run you are going to want to get batteries you can maintain/clean yourself.
I think if I were to get batteries again, this time it would be something I could mix and clean myself, you know a chemistry lab with some sufiric acid, something to make deionized water/distilled water, and probably built it with 6 volt units...

On the flip side I might go with a smart system of sorts, using newer power cell options.

glassmatt was pretty good though.

Lifestyle as of late has been living out of a 50 or so pound bag so off grid etc.. is not in my langauge for the next two months atleast.

You can try to bring dead glass matt back to life but over the long run getting a good system you can recondition with will be the long term SHTF win

https://www.the-diy-life.com/recondi...-acid-battery/
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Sandman View Post
I'm a flashoholic with many flashlights so I have li-ion, AA, AAA, CR123, etc. If you have something that uses AA/AAA, The best and only options to go for are Eneloop rechargeables and lithium primaries. Lithium primaries have more capacity than alkalines and have close to a 20 year shelf life. Eneloops also have good capacity and will still hold around 70% of their charge after like 5 or 10 years. I you have a genny or solar setup, you have a way to charge them. Also, lithium ions don't drain as fast as you think. Around 90% of my lights use li-ion cells so I have like 6 cells stored in my BOB for my lights. A fully charged li-ion cell is 4.2 volts. A completely dead one is like 2.5-2.7 volts. I pull my cells out of my bag every 6 months or so to top them off. One time I forgot and it was almost a year before I topped them off and they were still around 4 volts. Li-ion cells last longer than you think.
There is a company that makes AA size lotion cells that have long (20 year ) shelf lives and are rechargeable. They are higher voltage. Why don’t any lights take these ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
There is a company that makes AA size lotion cells that have long (20 year ) shelf lives and are rechargeable. They are higher voltage. Why don’t any lights take these ?
If you're talking about 14500 cell, they do. It's the same size as a AA battery, but it's a li-ion cell. Just like any other li-ion cell, it's fully charged voltage is 4.2 volts, and like 2.7-2.5 volts is considered dead. You can't use them in just anything that uses AA batteries though. They will fit, but unless that thing was designed to handle 4.2 volts, you'll probably fry it. They do make lights that take them. On my keys, I have a Klarus Mi7. It runs on a 14500 cell or a normal AA battery since they are the same size. There are plenty of lights that use 14500s which is nice because you can also use a AA battery as a backup. It won't be as bright, but it'll still work. As for shelf life, they don't have the 20 year shelf life of a normal lithium battery like a CR123, but they will still last you a couple of years. I have some li-ion cells that are like 6 or 7 years old and they still work fine. They might have lost some capacity, but they still work and still charge right back up.

Just for information in case anyone doesn't know, li-ion cells don't have names. They just go by numbers which indicate their size. For instance, one of, if not the most common cell that tons of lights use is the 18650. The first number indicates it's diameter which is 18mm. The second number is it's length. 65mm. The last number is 0 which means it's a cylinder or a round cell.

The most common cells that lights use are 18650 (many lights that use this cell can also use 2xCR123 as well, but be sure your light can because not all lights can), 16340 (same size as a CR123), 18350 (pretty much the same length as a CR123, just a bit fatter. Most lights that use this cell or a 16340 can also use a CR123 as a backup), 14500 (AA size and can use standard or lithium AA battery as backup).
The Following User Says Thank You to Blood Red Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 05:37 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Sandman View Post
Quote:
If you're talking about 14500 cell, they do. It's the same size as a AA battery, but it's a li-ion cell. Just like any other li-ion cell, it's fully charged voltage is 4.2 volts, and like 2.7-2.5 volts is considered dead. You can't use them in just anything that uses AA batteries though. They will fit, but unless that thing was designed to handle 4.2 volts, you'll probably fry it. They do make lights that take them. On my keys, I have a Klarus Mi7. It runs on a 14500 cell or a normal AA battery since they are the same size. There are plenty of lights that use 14500s which is nice because you can also use a AA battery as a backup. It won't be as bright, but it'll still work. As for shelf life, they don't have the 20 year shelf life of a normal lithium battery like a CR123, but they will still last you a couple of years. I have some li-ion cells that are like 6 or 7 years old and they still work fine. They might have lost some capacity, but they still work and still charge right back up.

Just for information in case anyone doesn't know, li-ion cells don't have names. They just go by numbers which indicate their size. For instance, one of, if not the most common cell that tons of lights use is the 18650. The first number indicates it's diameter which is 18mm. The second number is it's length. 65mm. The last number is 0 which means it's a cylinder or a round cell.

The most common cells that lights use are 18650 (many lights that use this cell can also use 2xCR123 as well, but be sure your light can because not all lights can), 16340 (same size as a CR123), 18350 (pretty much the same length as a CR123, just a bit fatter. Most lights that use this cell or a 16340 can also use a CR123 as a backup), 14500 (AA size and can use standard or lithium AA battery as backup).
Tadiran makes AA size Lion rechargeables with 20 year shelf lifes. They are higher voltage I believe. Mostly are for medical devices and other special applications.

I can’t for the life of me find them for sale. But they are on their website. Their primary batteries are a single on amazon.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Tadiran makes AA size Lion rechargeables with 20 year shelf lifes. They are higher voltage I believe. Mostly are for medical devices and other special applications.

I can’t for the life of me find them for sale. But they are on their website. Their primary batteries are a single on amazon.
I looked at those. Most of them are li-ion, but aren't rechargeable. They are pretty much made for remote areas that humans won't get to a lot or devices that you need to make sure the batteries last a while. They do have one rechargeable version I saw. They have a different chemistry than other li-ion cells do so I don't know how they'd handle the higher drain that many new brighter lights require. All common li-ion cells nowadays last years as it is so I don't think buying those expensive ones would be worth it.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 PM

I know this thread is about which batteries, but I'd recommend to all preppers to buy some devices that use 18650 cells. There's plenty of 18650 cheap flashlights that you can buy in bulk for BOBs and BOVs. Specifically, I have fans in my cars that use 18650 that can recharge smart devices.

The reason for this is because there are millions of laptop computers in a 10 mile radius of medium sized cities which use 18650 cells. Average laptop probably has six cells and 2 half charged cells could probably fill up your smart phone or tablet... as well as be used in your flashlights or whatever.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,765 Times in 6,388 Posts

I've been stripping laptop battery packs for 18650 cell as far back as 2006. I was friends with our IT guy. The company had a couple hundred Dell C-series flaptops, and on average he'd give me one a week, from which I'd glean three to five good 18650 cells, which I used to power RC airplanes.

But you need to get 'em while you can. Laptops from maybe 2012 or so aren't using 18650s anymore. They've gone over to lithium polymer construction because it makes for a thinner overall package.

I went over to LiPos for my planes, too. Lighter than 18650s, but the fire risk went up dramatically. But I still have about 40 usable 18650s, which power all of my emergency lighting.