ATF regulation hole:suppressors? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,035 Times in 456 Posts

Advertise Here

I have shot a few suppressed guns and its fun. For a while. After the new wears off I lost the interest in owning a suppressor. But if it ever gets where you can just buy one or make one with no tax stamp I will be on board for that.

And one of the best suppressed guns I have shot used an oil filter. There are YT videos showing those being shot. The threaded adapters can be bought on Ebay for $10 or less.

But now the CCI is selling 45gr ammo that is supposed to duplicate a suppressed gun thats about the easiest way to go. At least for me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020878729
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,084 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
I believe if it truly has a valid use as something else it would be hard for them to convict you if it had never been used as a suppressor.
Agree, however honestly doesn’t matter what you nor I believe.

Wouldn’t want to have to pay for defending such, meanwhile likely losing meaningful employment & RKBA, until settled. Which could take years.

No “solvent traps” or whatever similar attachment devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 03:54 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,249 Times in 933 Posts

Ive never been impressed with suppressed centerfire rifles, theyre still loud ad as hell.
Adding 7 inches to a pistol seems to defeat the purpose of having a pistol.
I do have one on my 22 rifle. In that capacity it shines
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,411 Times in 1,558 Posts

Hmmm..........my interest isn’t the kewl factor, it’s for my pig gun so that I can kill more of them without waking up everyone for 2-3 miles in the dead of night.

Gotta love a sport that results in lean pork.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Hmmm..........my interest isn’t the kewl factor, it’s for my pig gun so that I can kill more of them without waking up everyone for 2-3 miles in the dead of night.

Gotta love a sport that results in lean pork.
And in many areas a never ending supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 10:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,027 Posts

The OP never really mentioned what caliber he wanted it for. Reality is that most cans only shine with pistol calibers, like .22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, etc. High velocity rifle calibers are far less impressive. It does take some edge off from high velocity rounds, but not much.. And that supersonic blast- nothing..
Personally, I'd buy silencers, pre-made, legally; as I lack both a lathe and a good decent drill press.. In a number of ways, a good manufactured can is far better; so, I'll continue to buy legal, already manufactured cans that interest me..
But despite the fact that some people will use solvent traps in a manner that is not legal; there are those that want to build their own, legally, and the solvent traps provide them a much cheaper route. Optimal ? No, but it's something that they build that they can take pride in..

Tax stamps; when I go to the range, I don't take them. Why ? Do you carry your 1040's to the range ? Do you take your receipts to the range for items you own to prove that you've paid your taxes on those items? Same reason I don't take my approved forms, or copies of them, to the range. They are simply a tax form.. If LEO's don't understand that they aren't the IRS, well... shame on them..

Ways that manufactured cans are better than cheap form 1'd solvent traps: Tighter tolerances. Less point of impact shift. Often quieter. Better materials. Better baffles. Most have lifetime warranties. When I get a lathe that is good enough, maybe I'll consider a form 1.
My favorite suppressed rounds: Standard velocity .22LR & 147/158 grain 9mm. I found .45ACP to be far louder. With rifle rounds, I was more impressed with .308 than I was with 5.56.. Additional bonus for .308 is reduced felt recoil.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 10:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,027 Posts

Oh, btw, solvent traps are not an ATF regulation hole or oversight. They also don't regulate oil filters, aluminum pipe, steel tube, washers, steel wool, lithium grease, tap and die sets, welders, lathes, 3D printers and a whole other slew of other things. Heck, they really had no right to ban bump stocks either as machine guns is clearly defined in the NFA. In many ways, the NFA is also unconstitutional as it conflicts with the 2nd amendment.. Until the SCOTUS finally takes a case to rule on its unconstitutionality ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadDawg For This Useful Post: