IPSC shooting today. some thoughts - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,657 Posts
Default IPSC shooting today. some thoughts

Advertise Here

Need to train more, shoot more.
Still, indoor ranges suck, especially with poor lighting although it makes for realistic indoor shooting conditions.
It also sucks to shoot stages intended for open categorty with my production Glock Damn little plates at the other end of the stage are a real PITA.
Noticed lots of guys with severla thousand dollar guns, which shot very nice, super light triggers... but saw lots of those guns jam too. And some people miss bad in spite of them, even close range targets.
Anyway, competition is one of the best ways to burn ammo effectively, running against the clock, competing with others adds that extra bit of stress.
If you havent joined, seriously consider doing so. Even if you suck you will eventually become a better shooter.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,357 Times in 1,533 Posts

Very true. Here it’s much more common for interested parties to practice and do red/blue excercises with airsoft. Cheaper and much more triggertime. Changeout and transitions suffer though because of the mechanics involved with airsoft though. Even us old guys have our teams.

Just an option to consider. BTW, enjoyed your books and articles. We all read them. Thanks for that!
Old 10-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Very true. Here itís much more common for interested parties to practice and do red/blue excercises with airsoft. Cheaper and much more triggertime. Changeout and transitions suffer though because of the mechanics involved with airsoft though. Even us old guys have our teams.

Just an option to consider. BTW, enjoyed your books and articles. We all read them. Thanks for that!
Hey Rural Buckeye Guy, thanks.
I'd love to have a group here to train with using airsoft or simunition ammo.
Now that you mention it there is an airsoft place not far from here. I've got to go check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Yep. IPSC was when I really learned to shoot. Havenít done it in years though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Is IPSC like IDPA? I've done the latter and liked it.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,161 Posts

I SHOT IPSC for about 12 years as my schedule allowed it.
I wore my duty gear and shot my duty gun, much to the amusement of the race gun folks with their super whizzbang weapons and skeletonized rigs.
Told me as good as I was I would never be competitive running a holster with a snap and mag pouches with flaps... shooting full bore loads out of my .45

It was great training as far as I was concerned in that the scenarios were always different and some fairly imaginative. I remember this one stage.. there were 18 different targets and some were movers and some floppers and if you weren't ready when they went you didn't get the shot. And.. with that many targets, the guys going for time just got lost on what had been shot and what not. You had to think, count, and be prepared for the brief opportunity targets and not reloading when they went.

Even though it is game shooting at its finest, if you shoot it tactical you will get some good benefits and you meet some good folks and it is fun. I was shooting in the western regional over by Grand Rapids one time and finally after the 20th or so question about my choice of equipment. I stopped and asked around what folks did for a living. There was a lawyer, a couple of doctors, different business people and shop folks, a cross section of the folks. I looked at them and said, "When I leave here, I go work a ghetto 8PM - 4AM in one of the most violent cities in the US and I do it wearing the exact same equipment I am now. Now do you understand why I do?" Yep, they got it.

IPSC is good training. forces time limits and strange scenarios for you to respond to. IF you are going to shoot tactical be sure to tell your timer/RO so he doesn't run in front of you thinking you will run close to a target instead of engaging tactically as soon as it comes to view.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Ha, yeah, sounds about the same.

I agree with Aerindel. IDPA was where I really learned to handle a pistol. If you haven't done it, do it if you have the opportunity. It's the poor man's shooting academy
Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
I SHOT IPSC for about 12 years as my schedule allowed it.
I wore my duty gear and shot my duty gun, much to the amusement of the race gun folks with their super whizzbang weapons and skeletonized rigs.
Told me as good as I was I would never be competitive running a holster with a snap and mag pouches with flaps... shooting full bore loads out of my .45

It was great training as far as I was concerned in that the scenarios were always different and some fairly imaginative. I remember this one stage.. there were 18 different targets and some were movers and some floppers and if you weren't ready when they went you didn't get the shot. And.. with that many targets, the guys going for time just got lost on what had been shot and what not. You had to think, count, and be prepared for the brief opportunity targets and not reloading when they went.

Even though it is game shooting at its finest, if you shoot it tactical you will get some good benefits and you meet some good folks and it is fun. I was shooting in the western regional over by Grand Rapids one time and finally after the 20th or so question about my choice of equipment. I stopped and asked around what folks did for a living. There was a lawyer, a couple of doctors, different business people and shop folks, a cross section of the folks. I looked at them and said, "When I leave here, I go work a ghetto 8PM - 4AM in one of the most violent cities in the US and I do it wearing the exact same equipment I am now. Now do you understand why I do?" Yep, they got it.

IPSC is good training. forces time limits and strange scenarios for you to respond to. IF you are going to shoot tactical be sure to tell your timer/RO so he doesn't run in front of you thinking you will run close to a target instead of engaging tactically as soon as it comes to view.
Yup, thats my feeling as well. Guys in my club keep transitioning to open catergory wanting more speed and accuracy but I'm sticking to my production Glock. I also dont train nearly as much as some of these guy do, not enough time. But I do see that while I may get ****ed at myself for hitting a no shoot 20 yards away or missing a tiny plate, targets that are within closer range I just blast through them, two alphas almost touching each other on each of the three targets in no time. AS you keep pushing yourself and trying to get better its easy to miss the progress in certain areas (which are more related to actual sef defense shooting) and just focus on that which you'd like to get better at.