Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 73,437 Times in 19,766 Posts
Default Rick Perry is resigning

Advertise Here

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ene...p-plans-resign

He'll stay on until the end of the year.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,923 Times in 5,171 Posts

I understand. He's been there a while, and as a Texan is probably sick of DC...

Also, he only makes about 200K/yr as Sec Energy.
Which is good money for a lot of people, but he can earn many multiples of that in the private sector.
And live back in Texas where he can carry his gun...

You'd have to pay me a heck of a lot more than 200K/yr to live and work in the cesspool of DC. Not worth it IMHO.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,727 Times in 7,427 Posts

A Presidential term is only 4 years. Don't take the job unless you intend to serve the full term. You might can do the job from the start but you don't really know the job for the first year. (In most cases.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
A Presidential term is only 4 years. Don't take the job unless you intend to serve the full term. You might can do the job from the start but you don't really know the job for the first year. (In most cases.)
Political appointees don't have job security. They have to look after themselves. Considering how many Reps are choosing not to run in '20, he might have an eye on another elected or appointed position.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gavrilo princip For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 04:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,139 Times in 6,641 Posts

Maybe he is resigning because all this talk of climate change has him thinking he doesn't want to travel and leave a carbon footprint?
The Following User Says Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,542 Times in 1,578 Posts

Maybe he's afraid he'd have to step in and clean up California's mess.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,466 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
Maybe he is resigning because all this talk of climate change has him thinking he doesn't want to travel and leave a carbon footprint?
Could he actually remember "carbon footprint"? I bet his replacement will take right over nicely if there is a replacement. We know how many "interem" positions are filled with the yes men.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,817 Times in 19,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
Could he actually remember "carbon footprint"? I bet his replacement will take right over nicely if there is a replacement. We know how many "interem" positions are filled with the yes men.
Do you realize EnSec runs the largest paramilitary force in the US government?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Protective_Forces

Like 3000 SWAT and SpecOps troops ready to respond to nuclear emergencies around the nation.

He also runs the NEST teams as well. Think of globe trotting well armed physicists in black helicopters.

Being a low profile leader is mandatory for that job. Even just one event is a lifetime of stress event that you have to smile about the next day like nothing ever happened. Maybe Perry had it easy while he was running the show. Or maybe he just did the hard job well enough that we all remained blissfully unaware.

Perry had a couple spectacular blunders trying to run as president, but don't let that fool you about the man. He's a science graduate of Texas A&M, an Eagle Scout, was a captain and pilot in the Air Force, and had 30 successful years in Texas state politics, half of it as governor. He was this year's designated survivor for the state of the union speech.

And yes, I'm sure he wants to get back to the board of Energy Transfer Partners, a natural gas pipeline company with 50 billion in annual revenue and a net annual profit of 4 billion. He took a pay cut when he left them to become EnSec.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,513 Times in 2,516 Posts

A lot of these guys who come into an administration for a couple of years and then leave just took the position so that they could add it to a resume. He can now take that experience as the Sec. of Energy and make millions as a lobbyist for Big Oil and other energy interests.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:24 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
A lot of these guys who come into an administration for a couple of years and then leave just took the position so that they could add it to a resume. He can now take that experience as the Sec. of Energy and make millions as a lobbyist for Big Oil and other energy interests.
Yup! Texas IS "Big Oil"!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,404 Posts

Quote:
Exactly, that's why the Swamp will always be there. It just keeps feeding itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky strike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,740 Times in 9,735 Posts

Sec Perry did an excellent job. He worked at expanding the energy reserves of the United States, and steps down as we reclaim the mantle of the World largest oil and gas producer. He was also farsighted enough to build the pipelines, and LNG ports, to allows us to deliver that oil and gas to markets.

Environmentalists should rejoice at this, we have completely shattered the theories about peak oil. The US is sitting on enough natural gas to heat our homes, and power our electric grid for the next century. We even have enough to supply most of Europe if they want.

I recognize that this effort started with the national energy policy approved by GW Bush in 2001, and Perry is just the man to push it over the finish line. But the incredible turn around produced as a result of the US Energy policy is America's biggest strategic improvement in my lifetime.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,997 Times in 20,518 Posts

Also, they wouldn't let him shoot coyotes on his daily runs in DC.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 05:26 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Why be a lobbyist when you can actually be Big Oil? Perry is on the board at Energy Transfer Partners.

Besides, Perry isn't a lawyer. Most lobbyists are lawyers.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 18,485 Times in 7,092 Posts

Jumping ship.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 73,437 Times in 19,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Jumping ship.
I can't think of a better time to re-examine one's options.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,727 Times in 7,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Sec Perry did an excellent job. He worked at expanding the energy reserves of the United States, and steps down as we reclaim the mantle of the World largest oil and gas producer. He was also farsighted enough to build the pipelines, and LNG ports, to allows us to deliver that oil and gas to markets.

Environmentalists should rejoice at this, we have completely shattered the theories about peak oil. The US is sitting on enough natural gas to heat our homes, and power our electric grid for the next century. We even have enough to supply most of Europe if they want.

I recognize that this effort started with the national energy policy approved by GW Bush in 2001, and Perry is just the man to push it over the finish line. But the incredible turn around produced as a result of the US Energy policy is America's biggest strategic improvement in my lifetime.
I agree. Perry is a better man for getting the right things done than he is a politician. I hope he has learned that.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Jumping ship.
Since his name was mixed into the Ukraine business then Trump probably suggested he take a side door out.

I'll bet the decision to leave was mutual and likely amicable. 3 years isn't early for any secretary. much less under Trump. Compared to other department leaders I doubt any president would complain about 3 years of very effective but quiet service.

No need to manufacture inside conspiracies. Trump is in campaign mode, not work mode. Most of the rest of the secretaries will be turning in resignations soon anyway out of tradition and wealth opportunities. The dirt you are scratching to find is the Ukraine business because I'm sure Perry was a go-between on a number of fronts. Secretaries travel without much hoopla and don't get a microphone shoved in their face in every nation. They are perfect messenger for what presidents don't like having aired in public. They can also refuse to talk to Congress under the administration shield. I'm sure the American people got every penny of value that his 600K in his 3yr salary. It's very doubtful he'll be writing a book either as long as Trump stays in the oval office. What can a publishing company offer him that a major natural gas pipeline company can't?

Perry can go back home, have a nice glass of scotch, and mention that for a cotton farmer's son he did pretty damn good. With good timing he might take a run at US senator and do well. Or bag a plumb ambassador job if he helps deliver Texas for Trump in 2020. Bermuda? Tahiti? Sweet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,459 Times in 7,846 Posts

Although I would never be offered a cabinet position, I do understand why people do it. A few years in that office gives them a LOT of a resume. I doubt I'd handle even a year in DC, but that's me.

Perry gets to go home to TX and will likely be very happy there being out of the DC swamp. He'll be relatively free and better off because we know TX is much better than DC is. I doubt he's leaving because of the DEM impeachment stunt, but rather he sees he punched his ticket and can easily get a much higher paying job. Heck, he probably already has some job offers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
Heck, he probably already has some job offers.
Not offers, though I'm sure some will come.

Perry already has a job he's returning to. He's on the governing board of one of the largest gas pipeline companies in the world.

Energy Transfer Partners, a natural gas pipeline company with 50 billion in annual revenue and a net annual profit of 4 billion.