Cant buy/drink a beer when youre 18? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,198 Times in 1,681 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I understand the OP's point.. I was the victim of just such a
policy during V.N. I turned 19 in the Mekong...…

FerFal-- the problem with 18yo drinking.. You can still legally
kill somebody. unfortunately, it will be on a hiway……….

So, I understand both sides...…...
At 18 a guy will drink and drive, but at 21 he wont?... Dont see that happening. Wouldnt be surprised if Germany with their 16 year old beer drinkers have less drunk driving fatalities than Americans.
Edit: Bingo ! (kind of) road fatalities per 100,000 Germany 4.1 USA 12.4. Not sure of the correlation of drunk driving but thats a big difference.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,278 Times in 13,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
Our 18 year olds are still eating Tide pods and lighting bottle rockets from their ass. Not mature enough.
But they can drive a car and marry at 16.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
Something else to make you say "Hmmmm" : you can't own or carry a handgun legally until you're 21 but if your MOS is Military Police, you are issued & expected to carry a handgun before you turn 21.

Mark
Its stupid and doesnt make any sense. 18. You're and adult. Done.
And you're either an adult or you are not, its illogical to say youre an adult for things that are convenient but not for others.
My oldest, he turns 18 next year. Driving, drinking, guns, rifles, handguns, AR15s, voting. It applies to everything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,560 Times in 6,355 Posts

it's the temperance movement and MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving).
I got bit by the change one minute after midnight I couldn't buy a near beer.
had to wait another 2 1/2 years.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Mini tourer expert

My high school senior son is 18. Found out last month he cant even sign himself out for a dr's appt. I had to show up to sign him out so he could drive himself there. Well that ****ed me off, and I contacted the school board, and said I was thinking of filing a class action lawsuit on behalf of their students for civil rights violations. Got a call back in an hour that they changed the policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckklr98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggle Monkey View Post
Consensual sex should be determined by the age gap between the two parties. Most teens are sexually active between 15 & 17, at least that's what my memory of being a teen in the 80's was. My buddy's younger bother went to prison @ 18 for having sex with his 16 year old girl friend & her parents pressed charges. When he got out, she was 18 & they got married & he ended up living with her at her parents house because he couldn't find a job as an ex-con. LOL!

I understand that NOBODY wants their teen age daughter to be sexually active but, that's what teens have been doing for thousands of years & it takes a special kind of STUPID to think they're going to stop because of a law. I'm all for 30 year old's going to prison for nailing a high school girl but, if there's only 3 or 4 years age difference, that's basically the natural, normal selective order of our species. If a teen age girl is sexually active/gets pregnant within her peer group, the failure rests squarely on the parents shoulders & not the teen age/early 20's Kid who was out of his mind due to hormones.
That's total bull****. You want to have sex. . Then go have sex it's not like you dont know how to get protection or understand the risks of pregnancy at this point. It isnt the parents fault and stop treating them like little Angel's.

It's all about control the government doesnt want to ever give up on anything. Why they even have legal drinking ages is beyond me.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM

It's been a few years, but I can confirm that yes, college kids drink. As I recall there was plenty of authority figures around that looked the other way regardless of the law.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,458 Times in 7,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springnut View Post
It's been a few years, but I can confirm that yes, college kids drink. As I recall there was plenty of authority figures around that looked the other way regardless of the law.
I both went to an university at age 33 and then became a cop there. So about 26 years experience witnessing college kids drinking. They drink. Kind of what we did in the military though I was 21 by then so it was legal for me. But when I was on active duty, the club gave us draft 3.2 beer regardless of age. The younger guys drank that stuff up.

But I do remember the whole push for dropping the law to 18 for drinking. I think I was just about to turn 20 when they did it but may have been younger by a few months. Kids won't stop drinking because of a law. They will find a way to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,645 Times in 9,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
As far as I know that is the way it is in the US it just isn't part of our culture like it is some places in Europe. Up until a couple years ago(it may have changed now) a kid could drink in a bar if their parent was present.
Around here, if the wrong person were to find out you were letting your kids drink, child protective services would step in, take your kids away and throw you in jail.

Back in high school, all we had to do was drive to one of the bait shops along the river during lunch and buy a case. Sometimes we would even make it back to school.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,355 Posts

I started drinking at a local bar when I was 16, but everyone thought I was in my mid twenties. My son 16 this last summer now 17 was working for a local construction company and the bosses wife brings him a beer with his lunch assuming he was old enough to drink... John is like, uhhh I am only 16 mam...

When I joined the Navy at age 18 I was able to legally drink on base and over seas. When I was out on the town at bars I would show my military ID and they would see that I wasn't old enough but would always let me in anyways.

I am not sure when they changed the drinking regulations in the military, but I know that in 90 and 91 none of the bootcamps on the Battleship Wisconsin ever had any trouble with drinking even though they were 18 and a couple of them actually 17 years old. I was actually assigned three bootcamps to babysit on their first liberty in Bahrain and they got so plowed I had a hell of a time getting them back to the ship, the one idiot is wrapping the sheet on the back seat around his head pretending to speak in Arabic, the other is trying to smoke cigarettes in this taxi drivers brand new Mercedes while the other one is hanging out the friggin front seat passenger window whooping and hollering and blowing faces on the back window beside me... I thought for sure we would end up in jail and I was imagining just how "fun" the discussion with the Captain was going to be. We managed to make it back to the ship and with a lot of profuse apologizing and a good tip the taxi driver stopped yelling and left. I managed to get each of them to walk across the quarter deck under their own power so no trouble with the quarter deck watch, one of these guys was 17 and the other two were 18. What the rules state and what is actually allowed can often be two very different things in the military.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,023 Times in 3,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggle Monkey View Post
A valid point but to be fair, the average 18 year old in the Military is a cut above the average jack wagon walking the streets trying to figure out which bathroom to use.
Yet BOTH are considered mature enough to vote for the President of the strongest Nation on the planet with his finger on the nukes.

Personally I think that at 18 you should be able to do EVERYTHING as an adult.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
Around here, if the wrong person were to find out you were letting your kids drink, child protective services would step in, take your kids away and throw you in jail.

Back in high school, all we had to do was drive to one of the bait shops along the river during lunch and buy a case. Sometimes we would even make it back to school.
And the idiocy of that is that as a parent you can knowingly let your child go to a party where drinking will take place (as long as you aren't the one providing the booze) and they won't do anything to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
At 18 a guy will drink and drive, but at 21 he wont?... Dont see that happening. Wouldnt be surprised if Germany with their 16 year old beer drinkers have less drunk driving fatalities than Americans.
Edit: Bingo ! (kind of) road fatalities per 100,000 Germany 4.1 USA 12.4. Not sure of the correlation of drunk driving but thats a big difference.
That has much more to do with number of miles traveled and sheer numbers of people on the road then drinking. Many people in Germany (and the rest of the world in general) don't drive as many miles in their lifetime as the average American does in a year. Also I believe it is much easier to get a drivers license in the US then in Germany.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,178 Times in 2,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
That's total bull****. You want to have sex. . Then go have sex it's not like you dont know how to get protection or understand the risks of pregnancy at this point. It isnt the parents fault and stop treating them like little Angel's.

It's all about control the government doesnt want to ever give up on anything. Why they even have legal drinking ages is beyond me.
Could you be more specific? I'm not seeing where we disagree.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,853 Times in 7,540 Posts

Unfortunately, the 18 year olds of today ain't the 18 years olds of yesteryear. Not even close, thanks to lack of parenting..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,394 Times in 9,086 Posts

Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family. I don't know where he got the idea but my dad believed the earlier you let your kids drink would somehow keep them from becoming alcoholics. My dad, GOD rest his soul, became one, my mom almost.

I remember drinking alot growing up but by the time I was 20, I was over it. Being married to 1 sobered me up fast. My little brother went the other direction and spent most of his younger years into his mid 40's drinking a lot but since he had to have gastric bypass surgery he has calmed down a whole bunch.

I used to have a picture of him when he was around 2 with a beer in 1 hand and a cigar in the other.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
That has much more to do with number of miles traveled and sheer numbers of people on the road then drinking. Many people in Germany (and the rest of the world in general) don't drive as many miles in their lifetime as the average American does in a year. Also I believe it is much easier to get a drivers license in the US then in Germany.
Could be...then again there's no speed limit in Autobahns and tis fairly common to see cars doing 125mph That, combined with 16 year old drinking age sounds like a recipe for disaster yet they dont have particualrly high traffic fatalities, rather the opposite.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family. I don't know where he got the idea but my dad believed the earlier you let your kids drink would somehow keep them from becoming alcoholics. My dad, GOD rest his soul, became one, my mom almost.

I remember drinking alot growing up but by the time I was 20, I was over it. Being married to 1 sobered me up fast. My little brother went the other direction and spent most of his younger years into his mid 40's drinking a lot but since he had to have gastric bypass surgery he has calmed down a whole bunch.

I used to have a picture of him when he was around 2 with a beer in 1 hand and a cigar in the other.
My dad started offering me copenhagen at around age 3 and by age five would always give me a beer out of the case of beer in the seat of the truck as we were driving, telling me... just keep it down when cars are coming son... Some of the ranch hands and a number of the loggers in logging camp used my little brother and I as weekend entertainment, they would get us drunk and then have us fight. They would hoot and holler and laugh as we stumbled around attempting to just stay on our feet let alone fight. I drank a bit in HS, I kept a six pack stashed on the way to work and I would commonly stop and drink a beer on the way to work and stop and drink one on the way home. I never really was a party drinker as I have the Asian alcohol intolerance gene and I effectively couldn't hardly get drunk as I got full sized, and if I drink much it causes my skin to turn bright red and makes my joints and muscles hurt like hell.

Even by five years old though I knew that dad was a great example of what "not" to be when I grew up. While I do drink it really isn't much, I drink about 6 beers a year maybe 8 beers some years. Not that I try "not" to drink, I just don't have any real desire to drink.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,221 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
FerFal-- the problem with 18yo drinking.. You can still legally kill somebody. unfortunately, it will be on a hiway……….
I don't think drunk driving or killing someone with a car is allowed by law anywhere? Regardless of driver's age.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,409 Times in 1,059 Posts

they lowered the drinking age to 18 when I was 18. "Old enough to fight. old enough to vote"

they raised it back to 21 when they saw the results of 18 years old girls in bars with smooth talking older men, and 18 year old boys drunk behind the wheel.