Cant buy/drink a beer when youre 18? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,198 Times in 1,681 Posts

Advertise Here

Thats crazy. Makes no sense that you can join the military and go to war but can drink a damn beer at that same age.
The fact that the minimum drinking age is 21 is just stupid. Dont college kids drink? A lot? In Germany, at 16 you can drink both beer and wine, 18 for white spirits.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,853 Times in 7,540 Posts

That's the same argument used back in the late 60's and early 70's during the Vietnam war. They changed it to 18 for a while and then at some point raised it back up to 21.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,198 Times in 1,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
That's the same argument used back in the late 60's and early 70's during the Vietnam war. They changed it to 18 for a while and then at some point raised it back up to 21.
Yup, you can legally go kill people but god forbid you should ever have a beer.😳
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,719 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Yup, you can legally go kill people but god forbid you should ever have a beer.😳
I understand the OP's point.. I was the victim of just such a
policy during V.N. I turned 19 in the Mekong...…

FerFal-- the problem with 18yo drinking.. You can still legally
kill somebody. unfortunately, it will be on a hiway……….

So, I understand both sides...…...
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Gatorbait

I understand the need for 18 year olds in the military in the past but is it still truly necesarry or even sensible with how automated our modern military is? Many of these kids sign up while still in high school.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,068 Times in 1,636 Posts

Our 18 year olds are still eating Tide pods and lighting bottle rockets from their ass. Not mature enough.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,024 Posts

Something else to make you say "Hmmmm" : you can't own or carry a handgun legally until you're 21 but if your MOS is Military Police, you are issued & expected to carry a handgun before you turn 21.

Mark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Outside the box

Thanked 2,495 Times in 879 Posts

Back in the day the drinking age in TN was 17 for beer & wine, it was a short drive to the border back then......no clue who decided one should be able to die for the USA but not drink @18 though . I'd bet it was political more than anything. I "should" remember the changing but I was likely living my life & not paying attention as I was > 21 by then anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,178 Times in 2,673 Posts

Drinking age was 18 in the 80's for a bit. I turned 18 & could legally drink for 3 months or so then the law changed to 21. Didn't really care though as I had gotten my biggest drinking days over with by the time I got out of high school. To this day (54) I still don't drink as much as I did from 13-16 as a stupid kid trying to "Be Cool."

When you're 18 you can also vote & go to prison rather than a juvenile detention facility. If you're legally an adult you should be able to buy a hand gun & drink as well. I say raise legal adult age to 21 "OR" lower the drinking age & hand gun buying age to 18. Double standards are BS.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snuggle Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
Something else to make you say "Hmmmm" : you can't own or carry a handgun legally until you're 21 but if your MOS is Military Police, you are issued & expected to carry a handgun before you turn 21.

Mark
A valid point but to be fair, the average 18 year old in the Military is a cut above the average jack wagon walking the streets trying to figure out which bathroom to use.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snuggle Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,863 Times in 20,487 Posts

The age of being an adult under the law needs to be a single age, nationwide.

Most kids leave home by age 18. i think this should be the age of being considered an adult under the law.

Legal for consensual sex, drinking, serving in the military, being responsible under the laws as adults.
Any crimes tried as an adult.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,646 Times in 9,209 Posts

I like the way they handle drinking in much of Europe, children are allowed to drink at home which (IMO) substantially reduces the desire to experiment on their own.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:31 AM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 3,261 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggle Monkey View Post
Drinking age was 18 in the 80's for a bit. I turned 18 & could legally drink for 3 months or so then the law changed to 21.
Same thing happened to me... I was legal for a while, I don't remember exactly how long, but it was less than a year. Then one day I wasn't able to buy alcohol again.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,934 Times in 6,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post

Mark
Huge difference....in the military, you are trained extensively, taught how to act, closely supervised, and filtered out if you are a liability.

The only thing that makes me go hmmmm is people that can’t see the difference between that, and a kegger at the reservoir for a pile of stoners and jocks to get in a fight with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
I like the way they handle drinking in much of Europe, children are allowed to drink at home which (IMO) substantially reduces the desire to experiment on their own.
You can do the same here in most states, as long as your kids aren’t drunk out in public or sharing with their buddies.

Odd how Americans honestly don’t know the law, but still know and regurgitate the talking points.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
The age of being an adult under the law needs to be a single age, nationwide.

Most kids leave home by age 18. i think this should be the age of being considered an adult under the law.

Legal for consensual sex, drinking, serving in the military, firearm owership, being responsible under the laws as adults.
Ant crimes tried as an adult.
Consensual sex should be determined by the age gap between the two parties. Most teens are sexually active between 15 & 17, at least that's what my memory of being a teen in the 80's was. My buddy's younger bother went to prison @ 18 for having sex with his 16 year old girl friend & her parents pressed charges. When he got out, she was 18 & they got married & he ended up living with her at her parents house because he couldn't find a job as an ex-con. LOL!

I understand that NOBODY wants their teen age daughter to be sexually active but, that's what teens have been doing for thousands of years & it takes a special kind of STUPID to think they're going to stop because of a law. I'm all for 30 year old's going to prison for nailing a high school girl but, if there's only 3 or 4 years age difference, that's basically the natural, normal selective order of our species. If a teen age girl is sexually active/gets pregnant within her peer group, the failure rests squarely on the parents shoulders & not the teen age/early 20's Kid who was out of his mind due to hormones.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuggle Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
As far as I know that is the way it is in the US it just isn't part of our culture like it is some places in Europe. Up until a couple years ago(it may have changed now) a kid could drink in a bar if their parent was present.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,226 Times in 4,812 Posts

I think it goes state by state. It was 18 when I was growing up, but everyone knew where to buy beer at age 16 or younger. At the worst you found someone to buy your 2 quarts of Colt 45 on a Friday night.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
As far as I know that is the way it is in the US it just isn't part of our culture like it is some places in Europe. Up until a couple years ago(it may have changed now) a kid could drink in a bar if their parent was present.
I think that varies from state to state. Here in Tennessee a CCW carrier can legally carry into a bar as long as it serves food & they don't drink. I doubt that is the case in Kommiefornia or NY City.

I do think kids should be able to drink under Parent supervision. We allowed our daughter to have a glass or 2 of wine with us after she turned 15. Today @ 24 she is very responsible with her drinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuggle Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggle Monkey View Post
I think that varies from state to state. Here in Tennessee a CCW carrier can legally carry into a bar as long as it serves food & they don't drink. I doubt that is the case in Kommiefornia or NY City.

I do think kids should be able to drink under Parent supervision. We allowed our daughter to have a glass or 2 of wine with us after she turned 15. Today @ 24 she is very responsible with her drinking.
I should have included "in Wisconsin, where I live" in my response, because as you say laws change a lot from state to state.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,710 Times in 9,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Thats crazy. Makes no sense that you can join the military and go to war but can drink a damn beer at that same age.
The fact that the minimum drinking age is 21 is just stupid. Dont college kids drink? A lot? In Germany, at 16 you can drink both beer and wine, 18 for white spirits.
The real problem was during the VN war. An 18 yr old could not legaly drink, but he could be drafted and sent to war, with very little training. Basically 18 yr old cannon fodder.

Fortunately these laws have changed and the US has a volunteer military now. So our soilders first must choose to serve. Last time I checked you needed a HS diploma before the military would accept you, and they invest a lot more time and training our before sending them into combat.

I can see the argument for a nationwide age of consent, where the kid must either reach a certain age, or complete high school, or obtain parent approval in order to have the full rights as a US Citizen. Rights like voting, gun ownership, mairrage, contracts, drinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: