Emergency Pet Carry - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2019, 05:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,188 Times in 4,166 Posts
Default Emergency Pet Carry

Advertise Here

Today I didn't take the stroller on the walk and had to carry my elderly dog for a bit. It made me think of an emergency situation where one had a healthy dog and got a cut paw, sick etc., and needed to be carried.

I found this video for a Pack a Paw which looked good

I've also got a moby type wrap for the exact use

A sling out of a shirt

Some American underground networks don't allow the dog on the floor so people have used bags
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 05:22 AM
Survivor

A larger dog pet carry

Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,444 Times in 1,159 Posts

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,985 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Why you gotta hate on the cats?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy29 View Post
Why you gotta hate on the cats?
2 PART answer...

1- Because I can

2- Why not?

Seriously though, if someone wants to keep a cat inside and NEVER let it out, fine
but
once they are outside they are killing machines and will kill for sport every tweety bird and chipmunk and anything else they can sink their claws into.

They do not belong in nature and upset the balance. Don't believe it, see the extinct critter list in the South Pacific islands where cats got loose.

Cats, another white meat... a a delicacy in Korea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
once they are outside they are killing machines and will kill for sport every tweety bird and chipmunk and anything else they can sink their claws into.
So?

Thats kind of the point. They are a human accessory species. Thats part of how we have dominated the planet. We carry our environment with us and part of that is brining a host of species with us wherever we go to change the world around us to be more suitable for ourselves. We are death incarnate, and cats are just part of that. Don't like it, cats aren't the problem, humans are (if you think species competition is a problem) ,join the Human Extinction Movement if you like. Be the change.

Do not belong in Nature? what world are you from? California?. There is no such thing as 'Nature'....or rather....its ALL nature and nature doesn't give two ****s about who lives and who dies. It only cares about the strong and the weak. Cats, like dogs, horses, etc, have pulled off an amazing trick of evolution....they convinced the most powerful invasive species in the world to take them under its wing and spread them far and wide, protect, feed and care for them in a way that nobody will every do for the white tailed bum bum bird of south loplop land or whatever extinct species that couldn't manage the changing world

I prefer old fashioned Darwinism. (Not that it matters what I prefer) Any species that cats wipe out deserves what it gets for being too weak and ill evolved to survive. That goes for humans and it goes for whatever useless inbred south pacific bird that can't figure out how to survive cats. Plenty of other birds, mice, rats, etc have figured it out. THAT is nature. There is no balance, just a warzone, with the winners being the ones who can maintain a stalemate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,176 Times in 8,081 Posts

I keep my cats inside. They have a cage mounted on the house.

Actually, a lizard cost me over $200, gave my cat salmonella most likely, he is pretty uncomfortable, emergency trip to the vet this morning. So the lizard got his revenge.

I would need a shopping cart for my cat carriers. I suck as a caregiver because I have half the carriers I need for my cats. And my husband is in a wheelchair. I'm not going anywhere without a lot of help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Hunter

I've been here for a long time and have seen lots of rough-and-tough jokes. I get it.

It's hilarious and novel at the same time.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,015 Times in 390 Posts

I'd pay money to see someone put my dog in a pack and try carrying her even a few feet!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
So?

Thats kind of the point. They are a human accessory species. Thats part of how we have dominated the planet. We carry our environment with us and part of that is brining a host of species with us wherever we go to change the world around us to be more suitable for ourselves. We are death incarnate, and cats are just part of that. Don't like it, cats aren't the problem, humans are (if you think species competition is a problem) ,join the Human Extinction Movement if you like. Be the change.

Do not belong in Nature? what world are you from? California?. There is no such thing as 'Nature'....or rather....its ALL nature and nature doesn't give two ****s about who lives and who dies. It only cares about the strong and the weak. Cats, like dogs, horses, etc, have pulled off an amazing trick of evolution....they convinced the most powerful invasive species in the world to take them under its wing and spread them far and wide, protect, feed and care for them in a way that nobody will every do for the white tailed bum bum bird of south loplop land or whatever extinct species that couldn't manage the changing world

I prefer old fashioned Darwinism. (Not that it matters what I prefer) Any species that cats wipe out deserves what it gets for being too weak and ill evolved to survive. That goes for humans and it goes for whatever useless inbred south pacific bird that can't figure out how to survive cats. Plenty of other birds, mice, rats, etc have figured it out. THAT is nature. There is no balance, just a warzone, with the winners being the ones who can maintain a stalemate.
BE EXTREMELY careful what you wish for.....
Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,186 Times in 909 Posts

I thought you were supposed to biuld a fire and cook the dog
Old 10-17-2019, 10:49 PM

The best carriers - are those, that you can do in home environment. DIY things I trust.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:51 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
BE EXTREMELY careful what you wish for.....
No wishing involved. Just observation.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:05 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I keep my cats inside. (no you don't) They have a cage mounted on the house.

Actually, a lizard cost me over $200, gave my cat salmonella most likely, he is pretty uncomfortable, emergency trip to the vet this morning. So the lizard got his revenge.

I would need a shopping cart for my cat carriers. I suck as a caregiver because I have half the carriers I need for my cats. And my husband is in a wheelchair. I'm not going anywhere without a lot of help.
Disagree with why you suck as an animal caregiver. If you had 25 carriers you would still suck as an animal 'caregiver' and your neighbors would still hate you.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:02 AM
Survivor

It is something I have thought of in a BOB for future pets. I'd love to have loads of cats and dogs, but if I'm on my own without a car, then it has to be restricted to what I can carry, so one or two at the most.

I do have a stroller for my current dog (his elderly), so I'd use that if walking any distance. It wouldn't be great for cats as it has some holes I would have to patch first - a design flaw.

I do intend to lead train any cat I get.

This thread was more for a sudden vet trip, or in a situation where a stroller wouldn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
It is something I have thought of in a BOB for future pets. I'd love to have loads of cats and dogs, but if I'm on my own without a car, then it has to be restricted to what I can carry, so one or two at the most.
That's how we approach it as well. There is room for one cat, and two dogs. We had many more years ago but realized in the event of a hurricane, we'd have too many critters to safely bring along.

I have been a disaster center volunteer in the past, and the rule for our centers was that cats and dogs must have a container or cage. They were welcome in these special pet-friendly centers but only with proper containment AND to be current on their shots. That's an easy one to miss --- the shots and the accompanying paperwork. A good idea was to keep a copy of it attached to the crate.

That said, I've seen lots of disasters in recent years where dogs and cats were either loose or on a leash. In the end, people are kind to our furry friends. Most are.

PS
I'm sorry to see and have participated in the devolution of a thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 PM

I don’t think that, for some reason, I will have to carry my dog on me - he runs faster than me. But even if it will be necessary, he will fit in any medium-sized backpack like Hazard4 Patrol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHmuriy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,900 Times in 914 Posts

We have a few neighbors here that although they say the cats are not theirs they always leave the garage door open about 3 inches with food and water in there. Sometimes they’ll **** in my flower bed and scratch the bark on my trees. For some reason they disappear after a while, not sure how or why. Go figure...
Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,949 Times in 3,609 Posts

So in an emergency you will carry your dog but then what about your pack with supplies?

The cat thing was pretty funny. My brother's cat tried to kill my other brother when he visited him. Brother was sleeping on couch (apparently where the cat usually did) and woke up because he was literally being suffocated by the 15ish pound NYC house cat that had sat on his face.

Cat found out that with enough thrust it could fly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,670 Times in 7,397 Posts

Keep your pets at home and outside where they belong.

Unless you are blind and need a seeing eye dog you do not need a dog in a public place.

If you are insecure then get a security blanket not a pet.