Baton used by riot police vs. plain wood baseball bat for defense - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Baton used by riot police vs. plain wood baseball bat for defense

Advertise Here

Riot police use batons that I think are about 36". I don't know what they are typically made of, however. Is a person better off with that or a plain, wood baseball bat if he can't get to a gun.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 PM
old gunsel

The wooden bats are very heavy compared to the wooden baton.
I think an aluminum T-ball bat would be more than enough.
Keep a kid’s glove and a ball so you don’t have to explain anything
if you happen to get pulled over.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Uteguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Target Shooter

From the point of view of a legal perspective, a baseball bat is probably better. "Judge, I felt in fear of my life and grabbed my baseball bat at the spur of the moment and used it when I was being threatened." This sounds better than "I thought I might need to kill someone in self defense so I bought an expandable baton and learned to use it, then struck the scumbag on the temple this killing him."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shado For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,315 Posts

It depends.

I spent many years stick fighting and played with a lot of these kinds of things.

A baseball bat is a lot heavier and hits much harder.

But its also a lot slower and harder to control.

A skilled baton fighter can take apart a guy with a baseball bat in seconds.

But, there are very very few skilled baton fighters. If we assume two people without much training the baseball bat will probably win simply through brute force as it takes some skill to take advantage of the batons inherent advantages.

But if both parties are trained the baton fighter has a lot of advantages in speed and range the bat fighter won't even if he is equally skilled.

So, if you're going to learn study stick fighting as martial art, a baton is by far the better option.

If you just want to pick up something and swing it, go with a baseball bat and hope you never have to fight someone who knows what they are doing.

FYI, police use batons because they mostly have very rudimentary training and are less likely to kill on accident with a baton than they are with a bat as you have to know what you are doing to generate lethal force with a baton, although again, if you are trained its potentially faster and deadlier than a bat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,864 Times in 3,815 Posts

The smaller wood or aluminum baseball bats for children are shorter and much lighter and easier to wield than adult size bats. I have a couple of the small bats. One is 26" long the other is 29" long. I see them in thrift shops all the time. Years ago I drilled holes through the sides of a small wood bat and drove framing nails through it and then cut the nail heads off to create 3/4" spikes on the end of the bat. Thankfully, I've never had reason to use it. It wouldn't be my first choice for a defensive tool.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 31,177 Times in 4,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
The smaller wood or aluminum baseball bats for children are shorter and much lighter and easier to wield than adult size bats. I have a couple of the small bats. One is 26" long the other is 29" long. I see them in thrift shops all the time. Years ago I drilled holes through the sides of a small wood bat and drove framing nails through it and then cut the nail heads off to create 3/4" spikes on the end of the bat. Thankfully, I've never had reason to use it. It wouldn't be my first choice for a defensive tool.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big-D For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,871 Times in 6,952 Posts

That bat full of nails sounds like a good way to end up in a courtroom, either criminal or civil...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
That bat full of nails sounds like a good way to end up in a courtroom, either criminal or civil...
Like all weapons, it would depend on how you used it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,871 Times in 6,952 Posts

Like on people, vs a wild animal? Ok, sure.

But.

If you built that, and carried it, and then used it on a human...you better have some cuts and bruises, and maybe a bullet hole, to back your story.

You know that silly interwebz thing about SD use of reloads being a legal liability in court? That has actually only been a thing once?

This is that once, times a million.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
You know that silly interwebz thing about SD use of reloads being a legal liability in court? That has actually only been a thing once?
What? there actually is one example of it? As far as I knew, it was only ever a silly thing and never actually a problem for a real person.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,864 Times in 3,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

That could happen in some situations. I just re-read FL ch.790 and they are still legal in Florida provided you can legally have a weapon in your possession. You can't carry it concealed without a CCP. If you were to travel around with it in your vehicle without a CCP, it would probably need to be "not readily available" to be legal but you don't need a CCP to travel with it in your vehicle.

Florida stand your ground laws don't specify what legal weapons can or can't be used to stop a threat. We have a civil immunity law here that protects people from being successfully sued by their attackers when you are defending yourself legally. If sued in civil court you will have to go to court to prove your immunity but no matter what weapon you use or even no weapon used at all, defending your immunity still applies.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:01 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,944 Times in 7,101 Posts

I have a few telescoping steel batons. They are BONE crushers.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:34 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post

My favorite non-gun weapon.....

I like the black stainless versions. I had trouble with the regular ones rusting over time.

well....my second favorite none gun weapon.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:45 AM

If you want to know about improvised weapons watch Jackie Chan.

None the less what was your second the morning star or the gladius?

Anything can be turned into a weapon in a situation of need.

As far as using a bat or a baton, it would ultimately be what you are better trained wit.

Fighting with a bat as a baseball swing is generally not a very smart fighting form - however against an unarmed person it could be devestating. A club is ultimately a very crude weapon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post

I'm not familiar with those. Does contact need to be made with the end of the baton, the part that is wider and round?
Old 10-14-2019, 04:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,514 Times in 1,735 Posts

But you can't twirl a bat like a baton that the older cops used to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 04:11 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
I'm not familiar with those. Does contact need to be made with the end of the baton, the part that is wider and round?
Contact can be made anywhere. Expandable batons are three pieces of tapered steel pipe nestled inside each other. When you flick your wrist they telescope out and lock in place, making a short steel baton three times longer than they where before. To get them to unlock you have to strike the tip against a hard surface. You can strike your target with any part of them, the little bit on the tip is just to make round, “safer” surface.

In practice, they are like having a 26” steel pipe that up you can keep in your pocket.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 04:12 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
My favorite non-gun weapon.....

I like the black stainless versions. I had trouble with the regular ones rusting over time.
I give the regular steel ones a coating of (believe it or not) a product called RainX Windshield Treatment for rust prevention.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RAIN-X-WI...cals/994589473
Old 10-14-2019, 04:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Contact can be made anywhere. Expandable batons are three pieces of tapered steel pipe nestled inside each other. When you flick your wrist they telescope out and lock in place, making a short steel baton three times longer than they where before. To get them to unlock you have to strike the tip against a hard surface. You can strike your target with any part of them, the little bit on the tip is just to make round, ďsaferĒ surface.

In practice, they are like having a 26Ē steel pipe that up you can keep in your pocket.
Only chiming in to add that such collapsible batons are tools to disable a threat. My rudimentary training was focused on targeting joints and certain nerve centers; striking certain areas can be devastating to the threat and end their aggression quickly. However, in untrained hands, you may very well just tick your threat off whacking indiscriminately. From my non-lethal training, the head was off limits and I could imagine it would be pretty lethal if targeting the neck area as well.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:13 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Only chiming in to add that such collapsible batons are tools to disable a threat. My rudimentary training was focused on targeting joints and certain nerve centers; striking certain areas can be devastating to the threat and end their aggression quickly. However, in untrained hands, you may very well just tick your threat off whacking indiscriminately. From my non-lethal training, the head was off limits and I could imagine it would be pretty lethal if targeting the neck area as well.

ROCK6
Years back, I stopped a large aggressive adult PIT BULL from ripping another dog apart, with one indiscriminate whack with a telescoping steel baton.

The blow was indiscriminate because I was running at the pit bull & didn't really have time to plan, coordinate & aim the blow.

No matter, the blow was a solid hit & sent the SOB retreating squealing like a pig that just got a broken leg.

Those things inflict massive pain, if swung with some strength behind it.