Felons in SHTF - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,408 Times in 1,557 Posts
Default Felons in SHTF

Advertise Here

That jail in town, the county lock up, that state prison two small towns away.... Realistically, what can you do, what are you prepared to do, will you have to fight your way home if you do? What are your options with black sheep relatives? Local meth heads or labs. What are you personally willing to do or kill? Been asked before but curious
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Úlfhéðnar

Honestly in a true SHTF event, its kind of a tossup how many inmates would escape or take over the asylum, and how many guards would just quietly abandon the inmates still locked in their cells to starve, and then head off to take care of their own families.

Its not a huge concern unless you have property bordering a prison. Otherwise theyre not likely to be a much bigger risk than any other looter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyscale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 02:20 PM
Existential Threat

Thanked 10,479 Times in 1,846 Posts

If you live near a prison your targets should be easy to identify, orange jumpsuit and hopefully unarmed.

The local tweekers will be a bigger threat.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 02:22 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,805 Times in 503 Posts

Back in the 70s I was employed by the State of Fla Dept of Corrections. 1400 male inmate facility. The Superintendent and I had a discussion about this scenario. His response was "I'll open the gates and let them all leave. Then we can tend to our families."

I was a lot younger and dumber then. His statement floored me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Logit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,635 Times in 4,851 Posts

I've posted on this subject before, as my conflict with my drug dealing neighbor happened after a SHTF event (2 major hurricanes that hit our area directly, within weeks of each other)

It took a few weeks of no power, disastrous local conditions and him living in a home with no roof before he and his buddies acted up. But when they did, it was quite a problem.

I pulled my gun, but did not shoot, as he threw his knife and ran away. Unfortunately, the situation did not get better in subsequent days.

I can't generalize about SHTF, the resulting bad behavior and how "we" should behave. Shoot first and ask questions later is not a valid strategy for survival. You will find yourself in a war with people that don't share your civilized nature.

I will say that a SHTF event is an opportunity for misbehavior that criminal types will exploit. Use your head and be very prepared. I'd also suggest that you don't travel alone and that both you and your partner are well armed with plenty of capacity.

In my case it was 9 against 1.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,687 Times in 788 Posts

Do as you should do with any predator. Put it down.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 03:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,469 Times in 2,783 Posts

Remember in a real SHTF its better to shoot first and ask questions later. Especially with criminals because they are already one up on most people for being able to commit violence.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,720 Times in 2,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
Honestly in a true SHTF event, its kind of a tossup how many inmates would escape or take over the asylum, and how many guards would just quietly abandon the inmates still locked in their cells to starve, and then head off to take care of their own families.

Its not a huge concern unless you have property bordering a prison. Otherwise theyre not likely to be a much bigger risk than any other looter.
I don't think the "abandon them to starve" option, would be a realistic outcome. I'm sure the abandoning could happen, but the only thing keeping inmates in a prison, are the guards and constant supervision and searches. Take the guards out of the equation, and the inmates will be free within 24 hours i'm sure.

So unless they are all killed systematically, they'll be out there, and not in "orange jumpsuits" like most people think. Many inmates do have normal clothes they are allowed to wear, depending on the severity of the institution. Though i'd suspect most would pretty quickly swap clothes too.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Epstein wasn't suicide

Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,153 Posts

You're reaction will depend on the actions of others. Be prepared to live and let live just the same as be prepare to neutralize a knucklehead. The risk with shoot first and ask questions later is that, short of the end of the world as we know it, there will be an accounting for one's actions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,240 Times in 8,107 Posts

If I had a gun pretty much anyone coming around would be run off or shot. I can't afford to carry anyone, all the "What are you going to do if someone shows up with a BABY?" people - tell them to go die somewhere else. It is not my job to care for the baby they made/stole.

I imagine a lot of bad guys will be taking/using small children not only for sex but as diversions to weaken opposition and get sympathy. "I can't shoot him, he's got a kid with him!" and then the person is killed.

One person knocked on my door during a SHTF event. It was the guy married to the illegal. He was nosy and wanted to see if we had flooded, seemed disappointed when I told him no. He asked me if I needed anything (not meaning it). I said no. I did not ask him if he needed anything. We were eating canned food so no cooking smells. He made an obvious production out of snooping in my home, craning his neck back and forth, and then left.

Next time I will not open the door. I will leave a note on the door "We are fine, go away". If anyone comes.

But, during flood events, the house next to me on the other side has a high driveway so everyone wants that house and it's contents. During Harvey other neighbors were parking in the driveway, hopefully with permission.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,574 Times in 6,361 Posts

said it before
all the locks in a jail/prison are designed to fail secure (locked) take that to mean what ever you want.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Target Shooter

Default In times like this

In times of great upheaval of society , your reasoned thinking and response to others is more important to your safety and security than all the preconceived rules you can imagine.

"Be ye wise as serpents and harmless as doves."
Jesus
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 08:00 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,635 Times in 4,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticAmerican View Post
Do as you should do with any predator. Put it down.
I'd agree, but an organized group will retaliate, as they did with me. I think it actually depends on the situation.

Keeping a clear head and being armed to the teeth, and having at least one other person present as backup is probably a strategy worth considering.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Gatorbait

Hopefully none of you have a loved one in prison since you all seem intent on just killing anyone who ever had the misfortune to wind up behind bars.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,199 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalOfTheFit View Post
If you live near a prison your targets should be easy to identify, orange jumpsuit and hopefully unarmed.

The local tweekers will be a bigger threat.
It’s a double edged sword. Yes there will be no police to protect us. But there will be no law to protect the meth head. And the meth head benefits more from being protected in the current system than we do. This is because you and I follow the law. They don’t.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 09:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,577 Times in 1,406 Posts

The only thing near here is a regional jail. About 20 miles or so from my house. The majority of inmates there are DUI habitual offenders, petty thieves and drug dealers. Probably a few more violent guys awaiting trial or their slot in the State prison.
Not the cream of society, for sure. But I'd wager there are plenty of the same type living freely amongst us. They just haven't been caught yet or recently.
In light of that, the jail birds don't change my position or plans any. Trust no one I don't know unless they can prove themselves. Even then, never let my guard down. What was it that someone once said? Be polite, be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone in the room, if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,590 Times in 1,195 Posts

NOT EVERYONE who went to prison is a cold blooded baby raping,drug crazed psychopathic terror.
Some of them are politicians...

but seriously there are some good people who wound up inside prisons because of bad breaks, couldn't pay their taxes, floated some checks because others promised would make good but didn't, and on the Fed side they line them up like shopping sonce a LOT of fed crimes have no specific intent for proof of crime so all sorts of people can get looped in if you have attracted the attention of some petty bureaucrat who says you violated some obtuse rule no one ever passed into law.

When I in the prosecutors office I became aware of a fed case where a guy with a plumbing business he had owned for over 10 years took out a bank loan and as part of the collateral listed an asset that he was not the sole owner of and did not own free and clear. The loan was a 2 year balloon note due at the end. He paid it off in full 6 months early. Not a problem right? Not from us when we heard about it, but, someone wanted to make a fed case about it and he was charged and convicted of bank fraud and off he went even though no one lost a dime or there was never any intent shown to defraud the bank by not paying the note off. He did partially own the asset and thought he could use his half as collateral. He just never specified he owned only half of it. Feds didn't care according to them the paperwork was all needed to convict and what kind of person he was or how he performed had nothing to do with anything.

You really want to shoot a guy like that because he was an "felon"???????
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,240 Times in 8,107 Posts

I listened to a talk given by a warden, about prison vending, arch. It was a real eye opener and solidified my decision to never do prison vending. Many, a large proportion at least, of those incarcerated are worse than animals. That is why they are in cages.

Yes, there are some young men/women who got locked up on a minor pot violation but the majority of those inside are feral. I'm sure not moving them into my home to help out around the place.

By the time they got done raping me and torturing, killing my cats, probably rape my husband too... take what little we do have and move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,988 Times in 19,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
That jail in town, the county lock up, that state prison two small towns away.... Realistically, what can you do, what are you prepared to do, will you have to fight your way home if you do? What are your options with black sheep relatives? Local meth heads or labs. What are you personally willing to do or kill? Been asked before but curious
Why ask us?

Shouldn't it matter what YOU are willing to do?
I don't live anywhere near a prison.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:14 AM

Depending on the sitcheation, you might be able to use lemons to make lemonade. In survival school, the instructors stress that you have to look at the intrinsic value of everything you have. In normal life, a fortress full of societal outcasts is a drain on society. In a SHTF situation, a corps of trained corrections officers who know how to control a thousand big healthy guys who have spent the last few years lifting weights in a very secure environment could be a major asset to a community. If you need to grow crops or chop a thousand cords of firewood, break out the leg irons and shackles and it's chain gang time. If you consider that most farms rely on automation that won't be available post SHTF, a reliable labor pool made up of people who can't say no if they want to keep eating and breathing would be a valuable asset. Prisons have the equipment and expertise necessary to transport the labor to where it is needed, supervise it, and then lock it up safely at night. Since martial law in some form will exist, possible punishment for refusing to work could range from horse whipping to execution. Prisoners who had served their time and worked hard would be released if they were deemed to no longer be a danger to the community, or they could serve a life sentence digging taters and harvesting wheat, two staples that supported civilization for centuries, and both jobs are serious back-breaking labor if there's no fuel to run the equipment that farms rely on now. New crop lands would have to be cleared and broken out by hand, great jobs for prisoners who can't say no.
For a couple centuries, a few highborn British officers could control a thousand sailors, many who had been victims of press gangs, by using techniques as varied as keel hauling, whipping with the cat-o-nine, and bread and water for as long as it took.
Historically, every agrarian society had a way to utilize unwilling labor, whether through slavery, serfdom, labor contracts, indentured servitude, whatever. Heck, Australia was built with criminal labor.
Consider also that post SHTF communities will have to have a way of punishing thieves, rapists and other criminals in a way that can benefit the community. Why execute a big healthy guy if you could starve him into submission and then put him to work?
Our rural communities would ring with prisoners yelling "shake it off here boss?" followed by a guard riding a horse, wearing mirror shades and carrying a shotgun saying "shake it off drag line."
Misbehaving prisoners would cringe when they were told that "what we have here, is a failure to communicate," and the good prisoners would affirm "I got my mind right boss."
You'd have to be crazy not to utilize what could be the most valuable resource a community has.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gavrilo princip For This Useful Post: