California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks Despite Recent Wildfires, Blackouts - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,261 Times in 634 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
So what is Firstnet?

From what I can see it's just a cell service network that doesnt allow civilian use. And they have drones to deploy during emergencies when towers go down.

I fail to see how that will help over normal radio, in serious emergencies like a Katrina disaster, or mass power outagges and such.

Is this supposed to completely replace current com systems?
Idea was a HD quality video/high bandwidth on a dedicated public safety "cell phone" network. To cover at least 95% of the landmass (not population) of the US. Fire Dept to be drug along as users in order to provide video collection and storage. The "benefit" of the planned banned width to be the cop cars could bo live feed with the multiple in car cams (4 direction w/plate scanners) vs the local storage of the dashcam only. Could also tie in traffic, speed, etc cams. Oh, and vol FD could have free trunked radio - shut up and sign here.

Silly thing and they figured out tech not really there and was/is going to cost a gazillion $. So when bid it allow public use unless needed for emergency traffic. And ATT won it.

BIG equipment expense/more importantly monthly subscription fees for FD. FD institutionally are deathly opposed to monthly expenses as history has shown that when budgets get tight the FD budget is cut to keep the popo donut fund/etc fully funded. Even of a Vol FD cut to subsidize a paid PD (as if there are any Vol PD).

Dumb concept but pouring billions into the nonsense. At least here in IA pretty much moving past FirstNet as Harris/RACOM shove their SADA crap down the throat of FD and the taxpayer (in rural America we don't need/can't afford nifty stuff beyond VHF. If HAVE to do so PERHAPS 6.25/digital - take your 700/800mhz and jump off a cliff).
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:01 AM
Prepared

Default arrl sheds light on cali situation

Report Causes Concern and Confusion in California’s Amateur Radio Ranks
10/15/2019

By all credible and reliable accounts, the State of California has not turned its back on Amateur Radio as an emergency communication resource nor have established repeater owners been asked to remove their equipment from state-owned sites unless they pay sizeable fees. The California controversy, inflamed by a viral YouTube video, stemmed from a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) communication telling a repeater owner or group that Amateur Radio equipment would have to be removed from a state-owned site or “vault” if the owner(s) determined the cost was too great to proceed with a formal application to keep it there.

“I do understand and appreciate all of the service you have provided in the past,” CAL FIRE’s Lorina Pisi, told the unknown repeater owner(s) or group(s) last month. “However, with constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same benefit to State as previously provided. Therefore, the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators [sic] radios or tenancy. If you desire to enter into a formal agreement to operate and maintain said equipment, you must complete and submit attached collocation application along with fee as outlined on page one of application. There is cost associated with getting an agreement in place.”

It’s not clear to whom Pisi’s memo was addressed, since any name or names were redacted from the version of the memo that is being circulated. ARRL reached out to Pisi this week but has not heard back.

After receiving a lengthy communication from attorney Nathan Zeliff, K6DPS, of Shingletown, California, citing Pisi’s letter, Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko did some asking around of his own. He reported that Jim Price, the Communications Center Operation Officer for the State Office of Emergency Services, explained to him that the matter is not a new one, and the issue of repeater equipment in state radio vaults has been going on for 5 years or longer.

“He said this gets down to a local level, if the local officials feel there is a need to have the ham radio repeaters in vaults in their area,” Bosenko told Zeliff. “As such, this gets down to authorization for vault space, clearances and authorization to access equipment in the vaults and contract agreements for the equipment to be in the vaults. The matter of cost and who will bear the cost for contracts and vault space has also been an issue for years.”

ARRL officials who have also looked into the situation agree that it’s been blown out of proportion by parties with their own agendas.

“The State of California has not made any determination we can find ‘that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit,’” Pacific Division Director Jim Tiemstra, K6JAT, is quoted on the Sacramento Valley Section website. “What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department. That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use, and tenants. If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.”

“Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater. If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected,” Tiemstra added.

ARRL Southwestern Division Director **** Norton, N6AA, has been responding to inquiries with the same message.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,213 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Congress passed a bill to create a nationwide public safety communications service in the 700 MHz Band 14 (wide band LTE). The contract was awarded to ATT to build out. The deal is that commercial civilian users can use the Band 14, but they will be preempted by Public Safety.

The system is nowhere near constructed and there are serious questions about public safety PTT voice features and if or how they would ever replace standard public safety LMR radios (Motorola walkie talkies).

Personally, my money is on this system becoming obsolete before it is completed. But I could be wrong.
I was thinking about this:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...alif-wildfire/

They reserved 700Mhz for the LTE, it is built by a company and funded by commercial users etc paying for the service. When a disaster of some kind occurs, emergency services take over most of the bandwidth for their own use. After disaster is dealt with, regular usage continues.

I'm not sure if that's the actual plan but that's one way to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,140 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
I was thinking about this:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...alif-wildfire/

They reserved 700Mhz for the LTE, it is built by a company and funded by commercial users etc paying for the service. When a disaster of some kind occurs, emergency services take over most of the bandwidth for their own use. After disaster is dealt with, regular usage continues.

I'm not sure if that's the actual plan but that's one way to do it.
So they reserved band 14 for LTE, not the whole 700MHz band. AT&T got the contract. I’m skeptical of them allowing g commercial use of band 14- lots of stuff doesn’t support it yet. I’ve see non Firstnet AT&T SIM cards not connecting to band 14 , but can’t say it can’t happen. (Replaced the SIM with a first net SIM, and it connects.)

Having said that what you describe makes lots of sense- the coverage from 700 MHz is far better in rural Areas than higher bands. And the goal would be to have overbuilt infrastructure anyway.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:53 AM

I've thought about this ever since I got word of it. Now this is just my two cents mind you, and it should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.
Seeing that the state of California has become a nanny state over time, then it's possible that it comes down to a simple matter of command and control. If there is nobody able to report on happenings in the state, then control through the media will just be a few orders away up the chain of command and then.......
Censorship is how some really bad things start, and to me.......this seems to be looking like it. I pray to God that I'm wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to DIM TIM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM TIM View Post
I've thought about this ever since I got word of it. Now this is just my two cents mind you, and it should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.
Seeing that the state of California has become a nanny state over time, then it's possible that it comes down to a simple matter of command and control. If there is nobody able to report on happenings in the state, then control through the media will just be a few orders away up the chain of command and then.......
Censorship is how some really bad things start, and to me.......this seems to be looking like it. I pray to God that I'm wrong.
The OP is very misleading.

The state isn't "shutting down" anything.
They are simply saying they will no longer be providing the services free of charge.

There will be nothing that prevents private individuals from using their own property and equipment.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Target Shooter

CA is in the process of self-destructing. Anything that gets in their way of achieving that goal is a target. Wife left there in "98. Visits, but would never reside there again.

RR
Old 10-26-2019, 12:06 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,721 Times in 2,783 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
CA is in the process of self-destructing. Anything that gets in their way of achieving that goal is a target. Wife left there in "98. Visits, but would never reside there again.

RR
I left there in '78. Joined the Army to escape. I only go back to visit my mother, and then LEAVE.