Blasted Armadillos - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 10-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,314 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
Looks like a .410 would make short work of them and the ammo is less than 12 gauge. Of course only if you don't have any ordinances in your area.
Last time I checked .410 was twice the price of the economy 12 ga loads. Makes no real sense, but it is what it is.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,846 Times in 7,536 Posts

The only way I know is hunting them with a .410 with a flashlight attached. And yes I've done it and hate the 11-4 am shift. One thing I did is set the sprinklers for a certain time and I could tell whether they came before or after watering and I narrowed the window down to about a two hours. There is no way to bait them..

I have a couple right now that I've been thinking about going after. They're making a mess of the beds next to the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,885 Times in 5,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
KS, I did use my sr556 once vs the rem870 and it blew the inside out. Basically it was like taking a hotdog out of a hotdog bun,,, and just leaving the bun.

These things smell horrendous, some earlier said the eat them... Dude,,, it would have to be way way past an end of the world event for me ever to want to eat one of these things.

Another time I hit one with 00 at close range. It was like shooting a 2 litter bottle of pop, it exploded parts everywhere. Tip: Don't shoot at close range.
Do you have a 22mag? That might be a good choice.
Great excuse to pick up a CMR30 or PMR30?
If no suppressor, KSA is making a cheap 22mag bolt gun, and both Savage and Ruger make good threaded options.
You know, any excuse to add to the gun safe...

One of my deer hunting areas is at a buddies place near Fall River KS, has 180 acres of rolling hills and creeks, even cliffs.
BUT, anything close to flat gets 'dillos all through it. I've shot over a dozen out there, but I usually use what I brought for deer. I'm just killing them to get rid of them, and just let the coyotes clean up. A 308 will open one up like a can, though. Messy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Prepared

If you have no issues with poison, bowl of Coke + 2 tbls. Golden Malrin.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
Looks like a .410 would make short work of them and the ammo is less than 12 gauge. Of course only if you don't have any ordinances in your area.
I moved away from "ordinances" back in 2007. There's no way we would ever own or live on land with restrictions again.

I have used birdshot before, it's cheap but you have to get a bit closer to the monsters.

I never use .22LR or small ammo as I don't want to have to go track them through the woods. I can just get a shovel and scoop them up where they are hit with bigger ammo.

Last edited by Fizbin; 10-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: added info on .22lr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fizbin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
The only way I know is hunting them with a .410 with a flashlight attached. And yes I've done it and hate the 11-4 am shift. One thing I did is set the sprinklers for a certain time and I could tell whether they came before or after watering and I narrowed the window down to about a two hours. There is no way to bait them..

I have a couple right now that I've been thinking about going after. They're making a mess of the beds next to the house.
Some I know put motion detectors in his wife's flower garden that would play dixie in the bed room and he would get up with a at first a gun that I lent him and later purchased a 12 ga shot gun that he also used on the SE diamond backs that were showing up in his Florida subdivision.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 06:18 PM
gard'ner

Drought here, so they are tearing up any irrigated yards and gardens...
If you don't water... It helps.

I've trapped 7 this year by placing trap next to fence where the game trail is... Also... A number of raccoons and possums.

Spreading the chicken wire over the ground and covering with soil... Didn't work for me... Spent a ton of time checking the fences for new holes and patching them... And still having trouble... Seemed like they were climbing the fence... Much easier to locate the place where they are coming through and place the trap there...

At my previous garden... I'd set the alarm... Get up and chase them with an axe... Worked on the dumb ones... When the dumb ones were gone... Life got hard.

They would run like a broken field runner... When I lit them up with flashlight and once out of light? They would freeze... Try laying the light on them then!

They blend in...

Some people have some luck with electric fencing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

I get good kills with .22 LR

Have not found a USE for this: but 6" PVC vertical in the ground, if I do not put a cap on (it's for valve access) it will get one from time to time. If I put the bottom 1/4 of a Plastic drum over it, with one side propped up just a little bit... (don's ask), I had 2 stuck head down in there in one night...
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSWMissouri View Post
I get good kills with .22 LR

Have not found a USE for this: but 6" PVC vertical in the ground, if I do not put a cap on (it's for valve access) it will get one from time to time. If I put the bottom 1/4 of a Plastic drum over it, with one side propped up just a little bit... (don's ask), I had 2 stuck head down in there in one night...
I'm trying to envision this? Can you describe it a bit more?
Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 AM
gard'ner

Actually, it isn't a 6 inch pipe... It's a 8 inch pipe.
Cut to 2 ft or so... A cap on the end... Buried at an angle with just the mouth showing above the soil line.
Armadillo go in, but can't back out.
But they don't work after a while... Used long enough... Armadillo soon avoid them.
But.. Yeah... Buried in a garden bed where the armadillo are visiting... The pipe traps did for a few armadillo for me too.... But alas... No more.

Sux having to dig up the trap each time that I caught one....
The Following User Says Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

mine is 6", but I guess if I had a well drilling rig, I could put down a 20' section of 8"... would take a while to fill up.... lol
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,846 Times in 7,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0n3 View Post
Drought here, so they are tearing up any irrigated yards and gardens...
If you don't water... It helps.

I've trapped 7 this year by placing trap next to fence where the game trail is... Also... A number of raccoons and possums.

Spreading the chicken wire over the ground and covering with soil... Didn't work for me... Spent a ton of time checking the fences for new holes and patching them... And still having trouble... Seemed like they were climbing the fence... Much easier to locate the place where they are coming through and place the trap there...

At my previous garden... I'd set the alarm... Get up and chase them with an axe... Worked on the dumb ones... When the dumb ones were gone... Life got hard.

They would run like a broken field runner... When I lit them up with flashlight and once out of light? They would freeze... Try lBaying the light on them then!

They blend in...

Some people have some luck with electric fencing...
Armadillos can jump and jump high if they choose to. The very first one I ever shot jumped nearly six feet into the air (near eye level). Since I was only a few feet away from him it startled the crap out of me. So, if there's a fence in the way, they may just jump over it..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 PM
gard'ner

Default armadillo pipe trap

We use an 8 inch pipe in these parts... purchased in a plumbing supply center... comes in 10 foot lengths... use a sawzall or chain saw to cut into appropriate lengths... one length of pipe wil produce 3 or 4 traps...

A 6 inch pipe doesn't seem large enough for the armadillo to fit inside.

Might need a cap... seems to help.
I drilled holes through the cap to prevent filling with water from the rain or the irrigation water. When there's water in the trap the armadillo drown... so ... the holes may be optional... if they are drowned, don't have to kill... but all that water makes the trap heavy to dig back up...

a trap that is in the ground... a few years since I installed it...
Like I said... the traps stopped working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7934.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	292912   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7935.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	292914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7938.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	292916  
The Following User Says Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,109 Posts

220 Conibear. Im 30 for 30 ground hogs for three years. Conibears don’t miss.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

This is a 3' long piece of 6" SDR PVC pipe that is access to an underground valve. I normally keep a 6" PVC cap on the top, but needed the cap some place else for a short term, and covered with an upside down bottom of a 55gal plastic barrel that is about 12" deep (use for water tank for sheep), but it did not lay flat, one edge was 3-4" off the ground.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

the two that were in the 6" were large ones' the did fit. Both were still alive and nose down. I pulled the first one up by the tail (shot with .22) and looked and saw another tail up on... pull and shot.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,204 Times in 5,724 Posts

Why not just burry them in the garden for mulch?