Most common ar style rifle in 308 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Default Most common ar style rifle in 308

Advertise Here

Hello all, I am thinking about getting an ar style weapon in 308 caliber and was wondering what pattern is the most common for parts and accessories ect. I would be hunting coyote and possibly moose with it (doing research it seems 308 is ok and 6.5 creed is light which is why im not getting a 6.5 unless I hear different from folks on here) the only real requirements I have Is I would like a scope and 45 degree offset iron sights at the same time. Thanks for your time gentlemen ( and possibly ladies)
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

I'm a little confused about what you're asking. The AR-10 is an AR in .308 or any other full powered rifle cartridge.

I am a fan of .308 Winchester and don't own any 6.5 rifles, but 6.5 Creedmore will be more than enough for coyotes. It's my understanding that the ability to shoot 6.5 Creedmore out of an AR-10 is as simple as swapping the .308 barrel out for a 6.5 Creedmore barrel as the 6.5 Creedmore is a .308 case necked down to accept a 6.5 bullet, so if you had a little bit of extra cash after the initial purchase you could spend the money on a 6.5 barrel and have both.

Ability to mount offset sights largely depends on the type of handguard you buy and where the Mlok/Keymod/picatinny rails are located and at what angle, so I would do your research in to that.

I'm not big on the AR platform so as to what models, furniture, and parts are good to go I will be of no help.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue924.9 View Post
Hello all, I am thinking about getting an ar style weapon in 308 caliber and was wondering what pattern is the most common for parts and accessories ect. I would be hunting coyote and possibly moose with it (doing research it seems 308 is ok and 6.5 creed is light which is why im not getting a 6.5 unless I hear different from folks on here) the only real requirements I have Is I would like a scope and 45 degree offset iron sights at the same time. Thanks for your time gentlemen ( and possibly ladies)
DPMS/ KAC SR25 would most likely be the most common nowadays.

Pic below: A full grown bull moose taken at 226 yards via 308 168gr TTSX fired from an 18.5inch bbl M14.

11B
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,315 Posts

Well its either DPMS or Armalite and I think the DPMS is by far the most common pattern.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 12:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,905 Times in 6,957 Posts

I have a 16” DPMS Oracle in .308. Just built a 6.5 CM upper using a Noreen receiver, BCA 18” heavy barrel, and a generic gas tube and MLOK handguard. About $250 with the brake and MLOK sling point.

6.5x55 Swede has been taking moose for over a century. The 6.5 CM is often loaded with lighter bullets, but it can still get it done with the right load. 120 or 140 grain loads are still about 1000 ft pounds at 500 yards...that will get it done.