Kindle in the Go-Bag? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,202 Times in 625 Posts

Advertise Here

I try to watch for them at pawn shops but they always want like 10 bucks below new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM

I love my Kindle. It's been a great space saver for when I have flights since it has so many books in that tiny thing by comparison to the hard copy books that I carried around on flights before Kindles were a thing.

Personally, I like the idea of having things in a Kindle, but would have to agree that there would need to be a way of being sure that you can easily charge it should power not be an option. However, I am also a big proponent of having a hard copy back up in the event that a re-charge isn't an option for some reason.

Depending on the situation, I would have a hard copy version in my bug out supplies, in some kind of hidden cache along the way to the bug out location or at the bug out location itself.

However, if you can memorize the stuff in the books, I think that is even better because then you don't need the hard copy or the kindle.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,872 Times in 7,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivethrive View Post
I love my Kindle. It's been a great space saver for when I have flights since it has so many books in that tiny thing by comparison to the hard copy books that I carried around on flights before Kindles were a thing.

Personally, I like the idea of having things in a Kindle, but would have to agree that there would need to be a way of being sure that you can easily charge it should power not be an option. However, I am also a big proponent of having a hard copy back up in the event that a re-charge isn't an option for some reason.

Depending on the situation, I would have a hard copy version in my bug out supplies, in some kind of hidden cache along the way to the bug out location or at the bug out location itself.

However, if you can memorize the stuff in the books,
I think that is even better because then you don't need the hard copy or the kindle.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
And that's the ending of Fahrenheit 451.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Absolutely. I save all my old iPhones and load them up with Wikipedia offline, local maps, etc. I think stuff like that would be invaluable.

Technology is the key to living as anything but a caveman, which while not bad, is a much shorter and harder life.

And we are an interesting point in technology where the most reliable ones are the very old...or the very young. We very well may not have cars we can drive, but instead will be charging our iPhones with 19th century steam engines and using them to research medieval agriculture while working fields by hand, with an LED headlamp.
Same here. Keep the Kindle App loaded with good reading material and onX maps saved. Like others, I have a tiny solar charge with a USB port. It'll keep any handheld device charged. Both the phone and charger weigh less than 2 lbs.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,297 Times in 1,075 Posts

I have mine set up in an elaborate way. First off, I have an old one that uses the old cell phone networks for communication. You can email and browse the internet with it without having a wi-fi. It uses the old cell phone networks (CDMA, I believe it is) and they don't require usernames/pwds etc. It just runs. My hunch is that these old lines may still be serviceable after an event.

Secondly, I have spent time emailing useful PDFs to it so it is loaded up.

And last, I keep it in my Faraday cage. On occasion, I will open it up and let it sync up for new files I have sent it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 03:10 PM
Desert Rat

Nothing beats internalizing knowledge. Waiting until disaster strikes to learn what to do is a bit iffy. Many raised in the info age are sadly prepared for most emergency situations. The current run on food and toilet paper show me what a bunch of dolts most folks are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anishinabi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 06:20 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,358 Posts

Old 03-17-2020, 03:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,540 Times in 4,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
The battery craps out after some time, mine has to be charged every couple of days now even if I'm not using it, I can't imagine how often I would have to charge if I read it heavily, daily.

I would have a hard copy backup.

Odds are an EMP will fry the Kindle. And I like mine, but I'm not leaning on it.
EMP is always a concern, although the battery life in my old Kindle would last almost two-weeks reading a couple hours every night.

For backpacking, I have the Kindle app on my phone. I've got a new Galaxy phone and the battery was awesome on a 106 mile backpacking trip I did last May. While I just normally pack a 10k mAh battery charger, this trip I also packed a 5V solar charger (Suntactics S5) and it was very effective on days with just a few hours of sun.

I used my phone with a trail/map app most of the time, cell coverage was pretty decent, so I was able to check the doppler radar, update the wife with texts, take pictures, check some on-line forums at night and read with the Kindle app every night for an hour or two. I never burned more than 10-15% of my battery during the day and was able to recharge most of that with the solar or the battery charger (and I only burned about 30% of my battery charger).

I did shut off the WiFi and mobile services when moving (only using the GPS feature of the map/tracking app), and only turned it on when I need to communicate or hit the Internet.

I think for some of the medical references and edible plant identification books, the Kindle app would be ideal.

ROCK6
Old 03-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,703 Times in 876 Posts

While I don't have Kindle, my old iPad mini 2 has the same function. Since I bought a new iPad a year ago, this mini has been my eBook reader. 64GB of internal memory fits a lot of stuff to read.

In addition to books, I'll rotate there few comics too.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,199 Times in 2,836 Posts

I absolutely recommend having some kind of 'super computer' backup in your bag, likely in addition to the smart phone that is already in your pocket.

For the weight and cost, a tablet or smart phone is a remarkable powerful device these days. What you can use them for is only limited by your imagination and the time you are willing to put into setting it up.

Things I recommend....

It needs to have a GPS receiver, not a cell phone based location system.

I really like the age of smart phone that has a swap-able battery. This is getting more rare, but boy was it a nice way to have extra capacity, spares, or replacements. My dream device would have a non-proprietary battery like some 14500s or 18650s.

It is nice if the unit can function on input power only. You can test this on older units by pulling the battery. On new units it becomes less clear. This means that in the long term you could power the device from an external source.

It needs a micro SD card slot. The higher the capacity the better. Being able to swap and store literately millions of pages of info on something the size of a fingernail is fantastic.

It needs USB host capability. This lets you read external devices or drives with the right cable. This can be more storage space, or even data mining a hard drive, flash drive, etc. You can also plug in a keyboard which can be a great help when trying to actually write on a tablet or phone.

WiFi for sure. I hope mesh networking will be better supported on non-rooted units soon.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:40 PM
aka Mental Avenger

Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,354 Posts

I downloaded 3.35GB of Survival Manuals and Books off the internet in PDF format. They are in 810 files in 32 categories. There are also 234 photos.
Since they are PDF, they are searchable documents. Total storage space is 3.35GB.
I have them stored on my Smart Phone, a 5" Tablet, a 7" Tablet, and a 8" Tablet, a Samsung Stratosphere Phone, a Pandigital Tablet, as well as on Flash Drives and Micro SD cards. I also have four solar chargers and several auxiliary battery packs to keep them going for as long as I would need them. All but my Smart Phone are stored in steel (faraday cage) boxes.
All of that weighs about the same as a couple printed books. There is enough redundancy to insure the data will be available. It all has the advantage of being searchable and enlarged. I can add thousands of books, illustrations, photos, and videos to that, all of which will take up no more space at all.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,142 Posts

@Metcalf Great post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Survivor

I recently needed to replace my phone so I upgraded to a Samsung note 10+. It has 12GB of RAM and 1TB of storage for books, videos, pdf files and just about anything else that I want to put on it. I can also plug it into an HDMI Adapter and it brings up its own built-in desktop software. I have the Kindle app with about 250 books so far. I'm looking for sites where I can download free books, magazines, manuals or pdf files if anyone has any suggestions.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaveRick- View Post
I'm looking for sites where I can download free books, magazines, manuals or pdf files if anyone has any suggestions.
https://www.bookbub.com/home/overview.php

I use this. First you select what types of books you like, then you'll receive (almost daily) emails with either free or discounted books in your categories, usually in Amazon, that you can then link to your Kindle app.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Trapper

I have a couple of old kindles loaded up with manuals and good reading books in my go bag. WOOT.com sells them cheap from time to time. I also keep a small 5 watt solar panel with them to charge them up.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:58 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 9,480 Times in 3,608 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have 2 e-readers (Nook, not Kindle) and don't use either of them. No way I would waste space/weight in a go-bag to haul them along. How the heck are you going to charge them when the batteries die, unless you plan on taking along a solar charging unit (again, more weight/space taken up.) I'd rather take something MUCH more important, like food; spare clothing; means to procure food/water, start a fire, etc.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Offline starting sept 1st

Thanked 1,058 Times in 493 Posts

Yeah, I generally carry a smart phone as an EDC, normally I might add files to it ebooks etc.. my last smart phone was likely stolen - went missing, I had a lot of files on there I probably wouldn't want to go into the wrong persons hands, with that said I am now carrying one of those GOOLOO GOOLOO Upgraded 2000A Peak SuperSafe Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 10L Gas or 7L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Power Pack Type-C Portable Phone Charger

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-SuperS.../dp/B07BLM981K

These are pretty neat as they have power outputs for 5,9 ,12v
I geuss filling the other element would be to have a small solar backpack sheet to charge it.

The bank itself is good lasts a long time and also has light.

I am thinking a 12v computer or 15v computer or tablet would be a nice add on.
I did have a 12v laptop panasonic tough book - they wern't as tough as I thought they would be.

Its always good. Personally I like having prepping stuff on an external drive then you can just hook up that drive to whatever device you are using.

The good thing is with kindle unlimited you have access to tons of legal downloads.

As far as prepper books there is really no shortage of reading.. thousands upon thousands of ebooks. The think about prepping is that there is no clear line between prepping and lifeskills.

Any chinese tech (most tech in the world) you probably want to get it before all the sanctions kick in.

Hong Kong lost its special status so that means there is basically a timebomb waiting to go off on tons of Chinese goods.. Hong Kong is going to get locked down.. and imports of Chinese goods where possible may costs a whole lot.

Since any Chinese company working with the chinese military is sanctionable.. none will operate in the US since all Chinese companies are required to cooperate with the Chinese military when requested as it is law in China.

The solar industry is another good example of a lot of chinese tech... so many chips are made in China.

If anything happens with Taiwan tons of the tech sector would go into shortage.

Good product imo
https://www.amazon.com/stores/GOOLOO...5?ref_=ast_bln
Old 07-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,118 Times in 3,977 Posts

One note about Kindle... there *might* be a time limit as to how long you can access your books without connecting to a server.

I have a Kindle. I generally have it disconnected from my network because I have satellite internet, and therefore limited bandwidth, and it seemed almost every other day it wanted to download huge updates.

I also use Calibre on my desktop computer, and there's a Calibre app for the Kindle (not free... I think it's the only app for my phone or Kindle I actually found worth paying for) that allows you to transfer e-books from your desktop Calibre library directly to your Kindle, which is handy. So it had been a good while... 3-4 months since my Kindle had connected to Amazon's servers.

All of a sudden I found many (not all, for whatever reason) of my Kindle books not readable on the device (no problem reading them on the computer). It would tell me I didn't have a license to read this book. I tried turning it off and then back on. Same thing. I connected to the internet and they worked, though I had to re-download many of the ones that gave me the problem.

So I don't know if maybe it was just some fluke, but the only thing I can think of is that I hadn't connected to the internet in several months.

I would wonder if Amazon does something like that to prevent people from buying a lot of books, putting them all on a Kindle, then taking the Kindle of the internet and selling it to someone else for the books on it, which they'd be able to use as long as they didn't connect it to the internet. Then they can just buy a new kindle, put the books back on it, and do the same.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 50,238 Times in 14,494 Posts

if i were going to do that, i would have the kindle in a waterproof case and have a 5W solar panel with USB output

you'd need a lot of material on there to make it really worth it imo. unless this is a low-intensity bug-out, in which having a book to read would be great
Old 07-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
So I don't know if maybe it was just some fluke, but the only thing I can think of is that I hadn't connected to the internet in several months.

I would wonder if Amazon does something like that to prevent people from buying a lot of books, putting them all on a Kindle, then taking the Kindle of the internet and selling it to someone else for the books on it, which they'd be able to use as long as they didn't connect it to the internet. Then they can just buy a new kindle, put the books back on it, and do the same.
I guess they need to refresh "license" of some sort every now and then.

Since you have Calibre already, I believe it can be used to strip Kindle books of their DRM so that will not happen again. I don't know how it is done, I've never used it myself but it might be worth looking into.