Portable Parabolic/Shotgun Microphones for forward LP/OP - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Portable Parabolic/Shotgun Microphones for forward LP/OP

Advertise Here

Anyone know of any quality Portable Parabolic/Shotgun Microphones for forward LP/OP; I think they would be invaluable especially for picking up conversations from a long distance that you would normally never hear and would really compliment nightvision or thermal imager, as you cant get enough good intel?
The only ones that I am finding are either the cheap toy kind of low quality that dont work well or the really expensive large ones more used on movie type settings.....
Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 02:39 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,614 Times in 20,416 Posts

Back of the comic book next to the X-ray specs and the dynamic tension body building course.

https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/a...oaAicjEALw_wcB
Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggernautKommando View Post
Anyone know of any quality Portable Parabolic/Shotgun Microphones for forward LP/OP; I think they would be invaluable especially for picking up conversations from a long distance that you would normally never hear and would really compliment nightvision or thermal imager, as you cant get enough good intel?
The only ones that I am finding are either the cheap toy kind of low quality that dont work well or the really expensive large ones more used on movie type settings.....
Thanks
You can probably repurpose a small satellite dish like one of the small dish network ones, or a larger fiberglass or aluminum TVRO or microwave dish. The critical point will be determining the focal point which is different for sound versus RF. A larger dish will require a heavy mount with azimuth adjustment. Elevation can be fixed unless the outlying terrain demands adjustment or it is vehicle mounted.

The Brits used all sorts of horns and dishes to detect Nazi aircraft before they had a radar system.

The other thing you can do is place microphones and sensors at the perimeter of your operations and wire them back or use RF relay.

A clever solution would be one that incorporates a doppler radar intrusion detector dish with a microphone. That way you can detect vehicles or persons walking toward your position and then listen in for conversations.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Back of the comic book next to the X-ray specs and the dynamic tension body building course.

Lol, yeah I saw those and was excited for a moment until the review that their toy like, otherwise that would have been cool, I guess one could maybe reinforce it and possibly switch out better parts perhaps.....
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
You can probably repurpose a small satellite dish like one of the small dish network ones, or a larger fiberglass or aluminum TVRO or microwave dish. The critical point will be determining the focal point which is different for sound versus RF. A larger dish will require a heavy mount with azimuth adjustment. Elevation can be fixed unless the outlying terrain demands adjustment or it is vehicle mounted.

The Brits used all sorts of horns and dishes to detect Nazi aircraft before they had a radar system.

The other thing you can do is place microphones and sensors at the perimeter of your operations and wire them back or use RF relay.

A clever solution would be one that incorporates a doppler radar intrusion detector dish with a microphone. That way you can detect vehicles or persons walking toward your position and then listen in for conversations.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Thanks, some good ideas, you are probably right as I have been thinking similar that I may have to build this thing myself if I want a decent one. Now I am okay at that but I am no engineer or da vinci by any stretch; although some might say that looks good, blah blah blah, thats nice but I know its not military grade DARPA hardware.....now that would be cool.....I will keep looking, there has to be something halfway decent for directional hearing.....

I got a thermal imager and those green gun earmuffs that have crazy good hearing like every other noise around you some barely audible without it, so thats a start, the problem is that it also hears your breathing, every step you take, etc, lol.....
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,149 Times in 8,882 Posts

They have hunting amplified hearing devices. I think anything you are going to hear even amplified up close will be well within range of their bullet. Perhaps hard wired or radio signal would alert you before you are in range.

Trip wires and flairs or noise makers.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,614 Times in 20,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

The one I linked to looked like it might be a decent quality unit.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,284 Times in 3,824 Posts

what pro's use:

https://www.endoacustica.com/directi...ophones_en.htm

thats for human talking..

for uhf/vhf monitoring (frs/gmrs/murs/2m/70cm) use this connected to scanner or uhf handi talkie:

Arrow II Dual-Band Handheld Yagi, 3 Element Beam on 2 Meter, 7 Element Beam on 70 cm 146/437-10BP
by Arrow Antenna

https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Dual-Ba...0751127&sr=8-1

whatever you do, don't transmit with any power, over this antenna on the frequency you are listening to, as that most will jam/disrupt/interfere their communication, which a fineable offense...
Old 10-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Honyock

You can see acoustic listening devices on the sidelines of NFL football games to get an idea of directional microphones. Probably expensive.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,203 Times in 5,723 Posts

The toy is cheap but an educational device IMO.'
There are an abundance of satellite dishes available and microphones are a dime a dozen.
A very small amplifier and you good to go.
I think that if you have a BOL the best is to have several means of surveillance because it is likely that one or the other will go down from time to time. You ned to know how these things work so you can do the repairs on them .
I am also for having hidden mics all over the place wired in so the person doing surveillance can know exactly where the intrusion is coming from and what if any conversation is going on.both good for discovering intruders and your troops guarding the perimeter.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Thanks guys, all very good ideas, some that I hadnt thought about.
I will probably buy some of these listening devices and test them out, reading reviews it always seems that there are always those one star for everything guys that complain about every product not being able to withstand being run over, smashed in a car door, shot, thrown, dropped, burned, etc lol.....No just kidding partially at least, but it does seem as those people often have unreasonable expectations of most if not all products, nothing like testing it out yourself.....
Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 PM
SoJer

Thanked 2,722 Times in 902 Posts

Check into recording gear for musicians ('sampling') and those used within the movie industry.. Again, not gonna be 'cheap', but.. then they're not gonna be Cheap... I'll try and dredge up some links later..

jd
Old 10-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,287 Times in 499 Posts

If you're serious about it and are willing to part with some cash, Telinga makes a version that rolls up for easier storage and transport:

http://www.telinga.com/products/dish...dable-v2-dish/