Mi EDC for Trip to London - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,823 Times in 8,392 Posts

Advertise Here

I always carry a notebook when I travel so when I talk to people and they tell me I have to check out, whatever or eat at or do. I can quickly scrawl it down and not miss anything. And my uniball power tank disposable waterproof pen.

Which is hugely under rated.

And recently I carry a good blow up sea to summit pillow because I have found them to be better than the cheap crap that I find in the dives I stay in.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 06:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,894 Times in 4,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
I always carry a notebook when I travel so when I talk to people and they tell me I have to check out, whatever or eat at or do. I can quickly scrawl it down and not miss anything. And my uniball power tank disposable waterproof pen.

Which is hugely under rated.

And recently I carry a good blow up sea to summit pillow because I have found them to be better than the cheap crap that I find in the dives I stay in.
Good points. With almost 30 years in the military, having a notepad and pen/pencil was SOP. Even with the proliferation of smartphones which have added an extremely beneficial tool to one's EDC, I still find myself carrying a small pad (typically the Rite-in-the-Rain" notebooks) and either a pen or pencil (always a pen, sometimes a pencil).

Ironically, I'm usually taking notes when on my phone. I guess I could use the speaker phone more often, but just don't.

Interesting on the pillow. I use a Nemo Elite Fillo pillow for backpacking and had another for when I traveled overseas. Those extended lay-overs without a hotel room make a travel pillow pretty essential

ROCK6
Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,283 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Why do the Brits put up with such nonsense?

Having to face a judge for having a little multitool with a knife is insanity.
Yeah, because it doesn't happen

And everyone should keep away from the Somali areas, whether they're in London or Minnesota. Somali tolerance to violence, based on culture and experience, is one of the things that is, apparently, driving the increase in knife and other violent crime. TG they don't have guns.

London is like any US city; ask at reception in your hotel which areas you should avoid and which are safe, and mark them on your map. Situational awareness helps if you do wander off the straight and narrow path. the combat indicators are pretty clear, but I won't detail them here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 07:53 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,616 Times in 20,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
Yeah, because it doesn't happen

And everyone should keep away from the Somali areas, whether they're in London or Minnesota. Somali tolerance to violence, based on culture and experience, is one of the things that is, apparently, driving the increase in knife and other violent crime. TG they don't have guns.

London is like any US city; ask at reception in your hotel which areas you should avoid and which are safe, and mark them on your map. Situational awareness helps if you do wander off the straight and narrow path. the combat indicators are pretty clear, but I won't detail them here.
Well, I'm glad to hear it doesn't happen.
I take that to mean that the cop listens to you and determines you are not a threat?

Or they just don't enforce the law?
Old 10-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,188 Times in 4,166 Posts

Always keep the business card of where you are staying in your wallet, mark it on the map.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,283 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Well, I'm glad to hear it doesn't happen.
I take that to mean that the cop listens to you and determines you are not a threat?

Or they just don't enforce the law?
How big is this multi-tool you want to carry round in your pocket? The largest Leatherman I can find has a primary blade length of 3.1 inches. I doubt they equip or police with rulers. Anyway, why would a cop stop you? These people are busy, and they know what/who they're looking for. I seriously doubt that any US tourist is in the frame for a stop-and-search. We don't have checkpoints where people need to show their papers. I've never been stopped, in London or anywhere else.

The rule is, a non-locking blade of 3 inches or less is OK. Anything else and you need a good reason. So, if I walk across the road to cut the asparagus on my veg garden, carrying a 10 inch knife, I have a good reason. If I want to walk round London with a machete, I'm unlikely to have a good reason. Self defence is not a good reason. You can scoff at the last sentence, but ask yourself why a tourist needs to protect himself against a Somali mob, and whether the presence or absence of a knife would change the likely outcome.

Twelve people were shot dead in London in 2018; about 10% of the gun deaths in DC. Some people get stabbed, but apart from our friends from the RoP, these stabbings aren't random, they're drug gang related. No civilians involved.

I know we're all about preparing for the worst case, but let's not pretend that you're going to have to battle your way, knee-deep in blood from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace, stepping over the bodies of dead and dying Japanese tourists and battling drug gangs. You would have to make a conscious effort to go to those parts of town, and why would you?
Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
How big is this multi-tool you want to carry round in your pocket? The largest Leatherman I can find has a primary blade length of 3.1 inches. I doubt they equip or police with rulers. Anyway, why would a cop stop you? These people are busy, and they know what/who they're looking for. I seriously doubt that any US tourist is in the frame for a stop-and-search. We don't have checkpoints where people need to show their papers. I've never been stopped, in London or anywhere else.

The rule is, a non-locking blade of 3 inches or less is OK. Anything else and you need a good reason. So, if I walk across the road to cut the asparagus on my veg garden, carrying a 10 inch knife, I have a good reason. If I want to walk round London with a machete, I'm unlikely to have a good reason. Self defense is not a good reason. You can scoff at the last sentence, but ask yourself why a tourist needs to protect himself against a Somali mob, and whether the presence or absence of a knife would change the likely outcome.

Twelve people were shot dead in London in 2018; about 10% of the gun deaths in DC. Some people get stabbed, but apart from our friends from the RoP, these stabbings aren't random, they're drug gang related. No civilians involved.

I know we're all about preparing for the worst case, but let's not pretend that you're going to have to battle your way, knee-deep in blood from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace, stepping over the bodies of dead and dying Japanese tourists and battling drug gangs. You would have to make a conscious effort to go to those parts of town, and why would you?
I doubt I will ever be in the UK again, but used to travel there for work.
So the question was simply to understand and clarify the knife policies in the UK. When I was there, I always had my small (~2 inch gerber) lockblade pocket knife and it was never a problem, but nobody ever searched me or had a reason to. I had no idea at the time that this might violate a law there.

But it was a lockblade, so technically would be illegal?

I forget what it was called. Just a small handy little blade that until 9-11 Airline never batted an eye at when I tossed it in the little coin tray for the X-ray scan.

The hypothetical question I had, related to the entire lie of Leatherman multitools, like the rebar, wave or the wingman. They all have a modest locking knife blade, but would be illegal because of the lock blade.

The Rebar, with 2 inch (locking) knife blade.
https://www.amazon.com/LEATHERMAN-Mu...1403693&sr=8-4

I am still really bent out of shape that the US TSA eliminates all knives from passengers before boarding a plane.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,156 Times in 1,660 Posts

Quote:
I doubt I will ever be in the UK again, but used to travel there for work.
So the question was simply to understand and clarify the knife policies in the UK. When I was there, I always had my small (~2 inch gerber) lockblade pocket knife and it was never a problem, but nobody ever searched me or had a reason to. I had no idea at the time that this might violate a law there.

But it was a lockblade, so technically would be illegal?

I forget what it was called. Just a small handy little blade that until 9-11 Airline never batted an eye at when I tossed it in the little coin tray for the X-ray scan.

The hypothetical question I had, related to the entire lie of Leatherman multitools, like the rebar, wave or the wingman. They all have a modest locking knife blade, but would be illegal because of the lock blade.

The Rebar, with 2 inch knife blade.
https://www.amazon.com/LEATHERMAN-Mu...1403693&sr=8-4

I am still really bent out of shape that the US TSA eliminates all knives from passengers before boarding a plane.
Yes, it was illegal and you could EASILY end up in jail.
The law over there is messed up but it is very clear.
The only thing you can carry is a non-locking under 3" blade. That's a UK legal "pen knife". Victorinox for example (non locking model)
If it a)locks b)over 3" blade, then you are a horrible monster with a weapon of mass destruction.... ... no, really, you will go to jail. 6 months to 4 years.
The only way around that is having "good reason" and this means either you being on a camping trip, fishing, that sort of thing. But just walking out and about with a tiny knife? Nope, you do very much risk going to jail if caught. Doesnt matter if its a multitool. If it locks or the blade is longer than 3" same rule applies.
Yes, no matter how short the blade is, makes no difference if it locks. Doesnt matter if its in a mulitool either.
They are quite strict about all this Bs and in recent years they've gone hard even after the most silly knife just to prove they are tough on "knife crime".
Old 10-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Well, I can understand why we fought the revolutionary war then.

Buncha over controlling idiots.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Yep. The sad truth is that even though we speak the same language most of the english speaking countries of the world are insane and evil.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 PM
Wayfinder

Perhaps a glass full of habanero pepper powder. A face full of that can stop someone.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,894 Times in 4,197 Posts

Quote:
I really had to plead my case to avoid getting my blade-less multitool confiscated. It took some lobbying on my part and having a copy of that particular airline's regulations, but I ceased trying to have a full-size multitool with my carry-on. I don't think SOG makes them anymore, but I really didn't' want to lose it:

I now just carry the diminutive Leatherman PS key-chain multitool...

I've had a couple of "tactical" pens confiscated flying from UK and Dubai...bastards.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I really had to plead my case to avoid getting my blade-less multitool confiscated. It took some lobbying on my part and having a copy of that particular airline's regulations, but I ceased trying to have a full-size multitool with my carry-on. I don't think SOG makes them anymore, but I really didn't' want to lose it:

I now just carry the diminutive Leatherman PS key-chain multitool...

I've had a couple of "tactical" pens confiscated flying from UK and Dubai...bastards.

ROCK6
I'm just back from a local IPSC competiton we shot this morning, a British guy I know there showed me his new tacitcal pen. Its nice but it doesnt really do anything a stainelss steel Parker wont do, without the risk of having the airport thugs steal it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
Always keep the business card of where you are staying in your wallet, mark it on the map.
I had them send me an email confirming my reservation.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:54 AM

I had just taken a new job where I started flying again in 2005.

I go through the scanner and the checker guy gets excited and holds up my tiny curved manicuring scissors! Is this yours sir?
I start explaining that those tiny scissors are not a weapon and I can't stand having long fingernails.
Then his partner walks over with my shaving kit (that I had just used for a weekend on the sailboat) and snaps open a decent sized lockblade knife. the shaving kit had one of those cardboard or plastic bottom stiffiners and the knife had slide underneath.

I must have tossed the pocket knife in there when leaving the boat and when it slid below the stiffener panel, it eluded my search I do on the luggage before I fly.

Well, they pulled me out of line, measured and photographed the deadly weapon, took down all my info, photocopied my driver's license, and for the next year I had to go get searched more thoroughly and they opened my suitcase and searched it if it was checked and left a little card in there saying they searched it.

They said I would have been in big trouble if I had flown the week before, as they had just relaxed the ruled on blade length, and as it was, it was still within a half inch of violating their current length rule. (apparently they would take you to jail or something instead of still letting you fly as scheduled.

A person's civil rights should not end when you board a plane.
They should even let you carry your pistol if you want.

America! That is all.

Ironic that in the period after 9-11, they would always seat me close to the cockpit door, because in their words, "nobody was going to get past me, if I didn't want them to".
Old 10-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I had just taken a new job where I started flying again in 2005.

I go through the scanner and the checker guy gets excited and holds up my tiny curved manicuring scissors! Is this yours sir?
I start explaining that those tiny scissors are not a weapon and I can't stand having long fingernails.
Then his partner walks over with my shaving kit (that I had just used for a weekend on the sailboat) and snaps open a decent sized lockblade knife. the shaving kit had once of those cardboard or plastic bottom stiffiners and the knife had slide underneath.

I must have tossed the pocket knife in there when leaving the boat and when it slid below the stiffener panel, it eluded my search I do on the luggage before I fly.

Well, they pulled me out of line, measured and photographed the deadly weapon, took down all my info, photocopied my driver's license, and for the next year I had to go get searched more thoroughly and they opened my suitcase and searched it if it was checked and left a little card in there saying they searched it.

They said I would have been in big trouble if I had flown the week before, as they had just relaxed the ruled on blade length, and as it was, it was still within a half inch of violating their current length rule. (apparently they would take you to jail or something instead of still letting you fly as scheduled.

A person's civil rights should not end when you board a plane.
They should even let you carry your pistol if you want.

America! That is all.

Ironic that in the period after 9-11, they would always seat me close to the cockpit door, because in their words, "nobody was going to get past me, if I didn't want them to".
Times changing and all that..
Around here youre ok for flights with a keychain type knife under 2". Say my VIctorinox Minichamp or Leatherman PS4. Didnt have a probelm in France, Spain or Italy, but UK having such a hard on for "knife" crime I didnt want to risk losing it. Anywhere else in Europe I'm taking the PS4 on board. Not sure how the TSA handesl under 2" blade tiny knives.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Times changing and all that..
Around here youre ok for flights with a keychain type knife under 2". Say my VIctorinox Minichamp or Leatherman PS4. Didnt have a probelm in France, Spain or Italy, but UK having such a hard on for "knife" crime I didnt want to risk losing it. Anywhere else in Europe I'm taking the PS4 on board. Not sure how the TSA handesl under 2" blade tiny knives.
A year or 2 ago, the TSA was going to start allowing small pocketknives when flying, but the Airline worker's union opposed it, so it is still illegal to have ANY size or type knife on a US flight.

So now, we are even less free than the EU countries!

Need to start raising our voices people. Incrementally, they will disarm us.
"First they came for the airline passengers, and you said, hell, I don't fly.
Then they came for the bus and train passengers, and you said, I never use these either.
Then they searched your children at school, and you didn't care.

Then they started searching concert and ballgame attendees, and you said, well, it's just for a couple hours "

Then they came for you, and nobody was left to rally to your side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
A year or 2 ago, the TSA was going to start allowing small pocketknives when flying, but the Airline worker's union opposed it, so it is still illegal to have ANY size or type knife on a US flight.

So now, we are even less free than the EU countries!

Need to start raising our voices people. Incrementally, they will disarm us.
"First they came for the airline passengers, and you said, hell, I don't fly.
Then they came for the bus and train passengers, and you said, I never use these either.
Then they searched your children at school, and you didn't care.

Then they started searching concert and ballgame attendees, and you said, well, it's just for a couple hours "

Then they came for you, and nobody was left to rally to your side.
I remember that the TSA was going to ok tiny 5cm blades and as soon as someone lost the sht they backtracked. Its silly, a tiny blade like that simply cannot be used as a weapon. I like having it because without it its just a PITA to not be able to cut stuff, open boxes, remove luggage tags and so on.
I was just talking with the wife about doing something nice for our aniversary next year. Maybe Praga.