800,000 Californians To Lose Power After Midnight - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

Advertise Here

It might be nice to have a thread just listing what folks can do now that the power is out, reminders etc.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,612 Times in 20,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
It might be nice to have a thread just listing what folks can do now that the power is out, reminders etc.
Ad hoc campfires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,871 Times in 2,147 Posts

I imagine a lot of stores looking for reefer trailers and fuel.

Lot of people going to lose paychecks, remember all those just a paycheck from homelessness.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
It's only a biggie in some of the cities with their lowlife population, just imagine what happens when they can't use their EBT cards. If Oakland Bay Area went dark it'll be another free for all.

In case people have forgotten about NYC blackout of 1977:

"Then lightning struck, and the city went dark for real. By the time the power came back, 25 hours later, arsonists had set more than 1,000 fires and looters had ransacked 1,600 stores, per the New York Times."

https://time.com/3949986/1977-blacko...-york-history/
My wife was working in the City at that time. It was as bad as 911 with not being able to reach her. Finally got a text she and a few workers were going across the Williams Burg Bridge. I went there and found her. What a nighmare.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Why don't Californians file for an injunction to prevent them turning the power off?

Just put some helicopters up to look for fires, and have some tanker planes standing by to douse any fires quickly.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,975 Times in 7,987 Posts

This has been under discussion since last April. Anybody who wanted to prep for the problem has done so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 47,842 Times in 11,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
PG&E can't win. So not providing power is the easiest and only solution left.

Try to clear trees away from power lines and get sued.

Trees blow down in high winds, touch the lines and cause fires, they get sued.
The local power company has been busy in my area clearing trees away from power lines. They want 12 feet clearance. The trees in peoples' yards have been butchered because they grew too close to the wires.

I was told by one of the tree trimmers that this is a direct result of the suits going on in CA.

===

I got a notice in the mail about a planned outage this week. Don't know what they are working on, but it's not a huge inconvenience unless it lasts for days. Then I'd have to break out the generator.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM

We lost power at 3:30 this morning. People in town and on Facebook are going crazy. We have 2 gas stations in town open (had 3 but one ran out already) and a couple of grocery stores are open. Doctors offices are closed. My mom was supposed to have cataract surgery today and it was cancelled. One woman on Facebook asked if she could use anyone’s power because she couldn’t use her blow dryer at her house and it dried weird if it air-dried. There is one Starbucks open and the line is crazy long. What happened to instant? This is an area where we used to lose power in the winter and we dealt with it. Our standby generator started up perfectly this morning and it’s working great but it concerns me that there are so many helpless people these days. They don’t even try to problem solve. When things really fall apart I hope I’m not still here to see it. It’s really sad.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,353 Times in 1,203 Posts

my power went out last night at 2:30. generator is running fine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,455 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
The local power company has been busy in my area clearing trees away from power lines. They want 12 feet clearance. The trees in peoples' yards have been butchered because they grew too close to the wires.

I was told by one of the tree trimmers that this is a direct result of the suits going on in CA.

===

I got a notice in the mail about a planned outage this week. Don't know what they are working on, but it's not a huge inconvenience unless it lasts for days. Then I'd have to break out the generator.
INTERESTING... the difference in mindset.

We had a big tree come down and take out power. Called. Consumers Power(largest provider in Michigan) they find the damage, do wire stuff, say we will be out until next morning when trimming crew comes in.

Trimming crew arrives, cuts up tree and frees line as line workers do their thing. I point out another dead tree leaning over the line between my place and the neighbors. It is an old, decaying large dead elm and probably a good third of it is OVER the power line with its lean. I say something about the tree and they said "Nope. Can't do anything about it until it is actually touching or down on the line." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said "You know the next good wind it could come down and take out the power ?" "Yep. Can't cut it until it is causing a problem."
They had the boom truck and bucket and all the tools and people RIGHT THERE already.
"Sorry, can't cut it."

Neighbor and I looked at it and figured we would need to run 2 winch lines on it to get it to go where it won't do damage but it is in such a bad spot there are no guarantees. Still under consideration.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,087 Times in 997 Posts

Wonder what the number of days a year power will be out due to wind events? Add that to blizzards, which will probably be a smaller number. Then calculate the loss in taxes for the state of California.

You can also calculate how much the power company will lose in electric fees.

Most grocery stores and pharmacies now have generators in FLA for hurricane issues. They don't run their businesses, but it keeps stuff at whatever temperture so it is fine when the power comes back on. Gas stations along the interstate are supposed to have generators. And many more are now putting them in -- particularly for new stations. And the cell towers are supposed to have generators to run thing for two weeks [though most seem to have enough for one week according to what someone told me].

Without general electricity, there is no business though. And no banks or ATMs.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 PM

I hope they keep their nuclear power plant water pumps working.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 669 Posts

"Fury is mounting at the utility, which had to raise barricades around its headquarters today." --SF Chronicle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PGE barricades.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	292684  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,120 Times in 3,376 Posts

Hugs and prayers, especially for those in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice, or having home-care requiring electricity (ventilators, etc.).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,524 Times in 3,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
PG&E can't win. So not providing power is the easiest and only solution left.

Try to clear trees away from power lines and get sued.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/...own-272-trees/

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/a...219315140.html

Trees blow down in high winds, touch the lines and cause fires, they get sued.

On top of it you have PG&E which is a pseudo state bureaucracy trying to solve the problem with oversight and input from the idiots in Sacramento. Between the two they put the crazy in bureaucrazy.
The residents of California, collectively, are getting exactly what they deserve because of their choices in societal issues, like the way they vote, the way they look at PG&E like a lottery or an ATM machines...this is the consequence of the accumulation of the choices they make.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,194 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post

We had a big tree come down and take out power. Called. Consumers Power(largest provider in Michigan) they find the damage, do wire stuff, say we will be out until next morning when trimming crew comes in.

Trimming crew arrives, cuts up tree and frees line as line workers do their thing. I point out another dead tree leaning over the line between my place and the neighbors. It is an old, decaying large dead elm and probably a good third of it is OVER the power line with its lean. I say something about the tree and they said "Nope. Can't do anything about it until it is actually touching or down on the line." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said "You know the next good wind it could come down and take out the power ?" "Yep. Can't cut it until it is causing a problem."
They had the boom truck and bucket and all the tools and people RIGHT THERE already.
"Sorry, can't cut it."

Neighbor and I looked at it and figured we would need to run 2 winch lines on it to get it to go where it won't do damage but it is in such a bad spot there are no guarantees. Still under consideration.
Our Co-OP works until the power is restored. The only time they call it quits is when its during a hurricane. I have never heard of the wait till morning crap. If a tree is near a power line and you want it down, they will cut it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post

I say something about the tree and they said "Nope. Can't do anything about it until it is actually touching or down on the line." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said "You know the next good wind it could come down and take out the power ?" "Yep. Can't cut it until it is causing a problem."
My utility whacks anything within 20' of the line on either side. I checked my survey and yup, there's a 20' aerial easement. I've lost $50k worth of trees indirectly.

Freaking bastards.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I imagine a lot of stores looking for reefer trailers and fuel.

Lot of people going to lose paychecks, remember all those just a paycheck from homelessness.
I'm surprised someone hasn't filed some kind of class action for the transfer of costs from PG&E to the consumer.

For example, hospitals are going to have to run generators for at least the entire blackout. That's going to cost them money that they shouldn't have to spend if PG&E did their job. And I am willing to bet that there's a charter somewhere or some authorizing legislation with relevant provisions.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Hunter

This I am so or to say has a unique fascination for me.
I just moved a month ago but still have family there living on the border of the blackout area.
But the primary reason is this is a not a normal type life threatening event/cause, ie. storm, earthquake,
terr's, even fire. This event even gave adaquate warning. It's only a blackout, no inherent harm if you are awake
I also find it curious that this event is getting little coverage nationally from the man on the street. This really should be a harmless example for the country.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't filed some kind of class action for the transfer of costs from PG&E to the consumer.

For example, hospitals are going to have to run generators for at least the entire blackout. That's going to cost them money that they shouldn't have to spend if PG&E did their job. And I am willing to bet that there's a charter somewhere or some authorizing legislation with relevant provisions.
Emergency power in a hospital only powers limited services.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post: