Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,921 Times in 1,021 Posts
Default If you had $50,000 to invest in gold....

Advertise Here

What would be your preferred medium and method of storage?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 09:07 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,219 Times in 8,895 Posts

Interesting that's about today's price per kilogram. I could make room in a BOB or the INCH cart for 2.2 pounds. I'd think smaller coins would be good barter stock or like 5, 10, 20 gram bar's. Lots of mark up in small quantities

I always wanted to make a solid gold omelet pan. If I get lucky next year gold harvesting like BunkerBuster's haul that's what I'll be casting.

Way back in the 50's perhaps the NRA magazine had an article on casting silver bullets like for the Lone Ranger. I could man with the golden gun projectiles.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 PM

If you are investing, then any of the widely accepted gold bars would be great. If you are worried about the end of the world (or you want extreme portability and convertability), I would go with Krugerrands, Gold Eagles, or Maple Leafs. Accepted anywhere in the world, portable, easily converted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Dark For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,882 Times in 2,165 Posts

1/10 ounce American Eagles
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,696 Times in 7,408 Posts

If you had $50,000 to invest in gold.... I would have $50,000 it did not know what to do with.

First I would not let anyone know I actually purchased $50,000 in any PM.

I would put it in a safe I could both anchor down and hide.

Then I would buy a safe. A normal safe and put valuable papers like your will and $1,000 in cash in it. If you have already told people you purchased some I would put a few gold coins in it also.

You might want to put inside your folder with the will instructions on where to find your hidden safe.

Chances are you will die before you are robbed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 5,655 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
1/10 ounce American Eagles
agree 100%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 01:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,923 Times in 3,597 Posts

HELL the people i know dont have 50.00 to invest, just older working people just making ends meet, BUT more power to you if you have the $ to invest I wish you the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 03:40 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,952 Times in 7,101 Posts

Gold Eagles, Maple Leaf's, Krugerrands are best.
The premium is generally to high on 1/10, quarter & half ounce pieces.
Reality is, in shtf times gold with not be an ordinary everyday trade or barter item.
Unless its for big ticket items, vehicles, large arms/ammo deals or real property purchases, etc...

The everyday trade, barter or make change PM will be silver for goods, medicine, food, fuel, etc...

Old 10-08-2019, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

I basically agree with what bunkerbuster said.

IMHO, I think that for every $1000 you invest in gold, you should probably invest $500 in silver. Up to a point, that is. Beyond a certain point larger amounts of silver become problematic to store or transport.

I can come up with some clever ways to conceal $50,000 in gold. That much gold, or even a little more, can be carried in a gym bag, day pack, suitcase with wheels, in or under clothing, etc.

I am unable to even lift a monster box of silver thanks to rapidly progressive PD and old back and knee injuries.

My PM preferences are (in order):

GOLD: US American Eagle 1 Oz coins; US Pre-1933 Gold Coins, mainly $20 and $10 Denominations; SA Krugerrand 1 Oz or 1/2 Oz Coins; Mexican Pre-1933 50 Peso and 20 Peso Coins.

SILVER: US American Eagle 1 Oz Coins; US Pre-1965 Small Denomination Silver Coins.

I never got into Canadian coins. Probably not would have if I hadn’t lived most of my life not too far from the Mexican border. Plus, I think Mexican coins are far more attractive and historically interesting. They are widely recognized in the Southwest, so resale or their use as barter items is seldom a problem. If you’re traveling in Mexico, having two or three of them in your pocket might come in handy should you find yourself in some tricky spot and have to pay “El Mordido” (bribe a cop, federale, pass through a closed port of entry, etc).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,112 Posts

US gold has too much copper in it, that’s why I prefer 4 9’s gold buffalos. Not that I don’t own any 10th oz. eagles.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,172 Times in 3,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Then I would buy a safe. A normal safe and put valuable papers like your will and $1,000 in cash in it. If you have already told people you purchased some I would put a few gold coins in it also.
I would put a few gold coins in it regardless, maybe some silver. If someone ever did break in, they'll think they've found it all and leave without looking for more.

Or in the unlikely event you are ever held at gunpoint and were wanted to give up your valuables, some cash and few gold coins would probably make them think they got about everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Wayfinder

Candian gold maples due to their high percentage of gold (99%+), and US 1922 silver dollars for smaller transactions. Both buried in pvc pipes. Gold buried in a pvc pipe under an old outhouse or a large beehive. Silver inside the metal fenceposts for a chain link fence to escape metal detectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,548 Times in 3,229 Posts

One of the things that FerFal said was that gold was really only valuable in jewelry. Gold coins, gold bullion, etc., were not all that valuable because people didn't really know what to do with it. But jewelry, that could easily be bartered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:29 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,219 Times in 8,895 Posts

I like Silver. In colloidal form its a germ fighter. High temp silver solder makes very strong joints. Did you know there were 200 oz used in the construction of a B-17. Proper flux helps.

Platinum is also an industrial metal. Can be used as a catalyst in many reactions such as the manufacturing of Nitric acid.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 12:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,866 Times in 19,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
One of the things that FerFal said was that gold was really only valuable in jewelry. Gold coins, gold bullion, etc., were not all that valuable because people didn't really know what to do with it. But jewelry, that could easily be bartered.
Pretty sure that's incorrect.

It's just that there was MORE jewelry, and it was more common.
Also you could act like it was your wedding ring vs your stash.

...but if you'll look at the premiums I'm 99% sure that you'll be FAR better off with coins than bling in the amounts the OP mentioned.

I do t consider it an investment, I consider it a hedge.
1/10-1 oz, common currency coins by preference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
Hi, what I said was that in the most common places where people sell gold (like jewelry stores and similar) they are used to dealing with junk gold, jewelry adn such, and the price you'll get for a gold eagle is along those lines (meaning a bad price for you) but I did say that you are much better off finding a reputable PM dealer in the city/downtown area to sell your bullion at a more realistic price. Also, if you can get your hands on some junk gold as close to spot price as possible, this is likely to be easier to sell in these local places without getting much of a hit, or attracting much attention (you're one more smuck selling his wedding band or family gold chain for food, not the prepper with a stash of gold eagles). I know of people that stocked up on some junk silver and gold by putting thier own "I buy gold" ads and buying from people looking to sell. Think of it as the modern version fo hacksilver, or pre 65 American junk silver coins. For Americans junk silver coins make a lot of sense.
Also, Silver gets heavy, gold it a lot better when bugging out. Keep that in mind when you contemplate your pile of loot.
I'd also put some money into crypto as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Opportunavore

(Q 1 of 3) What "Brand" is Best?

I am based in Australia.

In the event of a macro economic collapse; (global rampant inflation; central govt attempts at wage and price control; large black market sector operating) - I would see myself bunkering down in a BOL; within Australia... (eg: I'm not planning on being elsewhere in the world in the above scenario...

So regarding gold and silver, if purchasing for last-stance hedging ability against Fiat currency; I would appreciate advice from anyone who has had experience with gold and silver from the PERTH MINT; (or other 'local' recommendations)...

I have read on here that American Eagles are the best - but does anyone know how recognizable these may be in Australia; vs Perth Mint coins/bullion or "Kangaroo gold coinage etc"?

I would be looking at using the gold for larger scale (barter) purchases and "negotiations" - and the silver for more everyday stuff...

Thanks
Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Opportunavore

(Q 2 of 3) Weights and Volumes?

I am not sure of the right way to ask this question - but I am looking at an indicator of how much cubic volume (in centimeters preferably) silver takes up - per what, I am not sure?

eg: 10 grams; 100 grams; and "x" coin denominations, and weights and volume, etc?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM
Opportunavore

(Q 3 of 3)

I am sure there would be links on this forum, or on the web to this question - but can someone direct me to information regarding how a lay person can "check" and be certain that the gold and silver he/she is purchasing is the real McCoy?

That it has not been semi-faked; or is less pure than stated; or has had (eg) half a gram clipped off a (say) 10 gram piece...

These questions are in relation to trading in gold and silver - once the collapse has kicked off; and you have limited safety; security; time; knowledge and other resources at hand.

eg: I can't imagine that "weighing" what you are trading with is all of the answer in the example of the "half gram having been clipped off" problem?

Unless part of your prepping includes purchasing a mega-accurate and expensive set of digital scales; with 4 other sets of these scales purchased as redundancy back up; with (what you have hopefully guessed is a) lifetime quantity of 9vt batteries - and having all of that "wrapped/protected" in homemade Faraday Cages; that you hope will work? - and including air tight and sturdy containers... (Not easy to transport around..)

Or maybe this is the answer; (to checking the weight problem)??
But what about the other issues - as above?
The Following User Says Thank You to Edge For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,696 Times in 7,408 Posts

OP if you want gold and know you will not need the money for a long, long time, buy what you want. Store it safely but do not tell anyone.

Remember gold prices are volatile and it is hard to put a stop loss on physical gold. So when/if you need the money gold can be a bad investment.

The money I put in PM I do not expect to ever need. Just be careful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post: