My Top 5 Home Defense Weapons List - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2019, 02:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,827 Times in 8,396 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Jamar is good people and if you take the time to watch you'll find a quality primer for novices with plenty of caveats; this was "his" top five.

A couple of observations is that I much prefer a weapons mounted light in addition to a handheld light. Yes, there's a concern about sweeping a potential friendly, but that's why you use a safety and keep your booger picker off the trigger. While I wouldn't use a WML as a primary means of target identification, that's what it can do.

Having taken several classes, it's readily apparent older folks and smaller statured men and women are choosing the AR over a handgun for home defense. You can get more proficient with a carbine than a handgun (even at short distances) much quicker with equal training time. Over-penetration is over-exaggerated as well and has been proven time and again. The biggest downsides as you mentioned are size and maneuvering in tight quarters; again a more a training issue than disadvantage. Lastly, I really recommend a sling as it allows you more control if you're forced to hold your carbine one-handed.

Shotguns are effective, but the same people choosing a small-caliber carbine over a handgun would likely be avoiding the shotgun for the same reasons. Reduced power loads are a good compromise (or downsizing to a 20 gauge), but shotguns really do require just as much training as a rifle or handgun for proficiency; inside a house, patterns are rarely larger than fist size...aiming is imperative as is a WML for the same reasons as the rifle.

I'm not big on knives for such a scenario, but if necessary, I much prefer a fixed blade (maybe even a short sword) if a firearm wasn't an option. I'm also not opposed to a baseball bat, but getting a good swing in a tight hallway or stairwell isn't easy; training on how to jab and "chop" with a weapon of that size is quite helpful.

Don't discount less-than-lethal as a backup. There have been occurrences of a drunk neighbor breaking into what they think is "their home". If belligerent, a good dose of pepper spray or joint-whacks with a baton will subdue them enough until the police arrive. While lethal force might be justified, having options is never a bad thing to protect your financial portfolio and avoid legal hassles.

Aerindel does bring up some extremely valid points of home defense that can significantly reduce the risks of having to resort to a kinetic or physical self defense. As already mentioned, fire suppression is your first goal to make sure you don't have to vacate your home.

There are numerous passive measures to increase the hardened-perception of your home and drop it down on the list of potential targets. A dog is always a good deterrent. Motion sensing lights around the outside are very effective. Having a home alarm system with posted signs will deter the less determined. Motion cameras are very effective for the casual thief as well. After that, you can ensure all your major entry points have alarm sensors and two locking measures (window lock, dowel rod; dead-bolt, chain, etc.).

Make access to outer windows difficult with thorny shrubs.

Lastly, if you have a family with young children, make sure they know a couple basic drills (fire drill, break-in drill). With the proliferation of smart phones, you could contact the kids upstairs or in the room at the other end of the house and tell them to stay low, get in the closet, etc. Oh, and make sure you call 9.11 as soon as you get a chance...another good reason to have your home alarm on while you're at home.

Congrats on the new home Jamar, good video and I wish you the best of luck.

ROCK6
You can get .22s that will shoot a wall of bullets with basically no recoil.

People use them here for culling kangaroos.

If you had some tiny stature or were old. That should be more than enough to home defense with.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,888 Times in 19,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
You can get .22s that will shoot a wall of bullets with basically no recoil.

People use them here for culling kangaroos.

If you had some tiny stature or were old. That should be more than enough to home defense with.
Quoted so your ignorance doesn't get edited away.

Rimfire hasn't been considered adequate for serious use in well over 100 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,206 Times in 5,725 Posts

Years ago there was an incident involving a cop and a fat biker
the cop shot the biker several times and the biker shot the cop once in the ribs .
the cop using a 40 cal died and fat biker lived, Oh and he used a little 22 pistol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,206 Times in 5,725 Posts

There is another story about a Alaskan guide that notoriously has shot and killed bear shooting them in the eyes with a .22

Fact of the matter is having a big gun does not make up for the lack of practice .
The gun you have the better skills is best.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:28 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Years ago there was an incident involving a cop and a fat biker
the cop shot the biker several times and the biker shot the cop once in the ribs .
the cop using a 40 cal died and fat biker lived, Oh and he used a little 22 pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There is another story about a Alaskan guide that notoriously has shot and killed bear shooting them in the eyes with a .22

Fact of the matter is having a big gun does not make up for the lack of practice .
The gun you have the better skills is best.
I believe your thinking of the 'native american' grandmother who killed a record bear with a single shot .22

The reason you know about it is because it is notable as an exception, not the rule.

I never said that a .22 won't kill.
It DOES however not excell at STOPPING.

your also trying to counter argument statements that were never made "big gun not making up for lack of practice" because you have no other argument.

What IS important is that no military or police force have relied on a rimfire round in over 100 years (specialized use such as suppressed .22's on pests while backed up with major calibers not withstanding.... and making my point about not relying on them...)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:16 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmagnet View Post
No, really! Dude needs to learn how to walk a M-4 through a house.
Agreed I walk mine with with my HD guns at least once a month or so when the kiddies leave for school, If the kids go out for sleep overs ill do it once at night with lights off.

perishable skills you know.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,222 Times in 4,811 Posts

The video was pretty good and opens the doors for a lot of people that have no idea of what to do for home defense.

Agree on a lanyard for the knife, get a little blood on your hand and it gets slippery. I picked up a couple of cheap heavy meat cleavers at garage sales, put a good edge and lanyards on both. Those can be stashed around the house, hidden close to the front or back door, on the night stand.

The shotgun, shorter is better. Bird shot? Nah. Things like #4 buck are pretty good for social work. I would put a sling on it as well, if it gets grabbed, you can grab it back and it frees up your hands to do something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 PM
NoMoreClintonsOrBushes

Too bad. Would have been a lot more fun for the target if they had made a dynamic entry.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post

What IS important is that no military or police force have relied on a rimfire round in over 100 years (specialized use such as suppressed .22's on pests while backed up with major calibers not withstanding.... and making my point about not relying on them...)
It should be noted that Israel actually does use 10/22s for crowd control though like you said they are backed up by other major cartridges.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 01:22 AM

A large can of fly spray and a gas lighter makes an excellent flame thrower for use in the home.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,222 Times in 4,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digout View Post
A large can of fly spray and a gas lighter makes an excellent flame thrower for use in the home.
Lysol makes a good torch. Oven cleaner in the face, glasses or not stops them cold.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,101 Times in 3,884 Posts

Since no one else has said it:
"You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool."
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,559 Times in 6,355 Posts

dogs.
noisy door when it is opened.
attention seeking fur trip wire (cat)
sound of a bolt going into battery
" here kitty,kitty" spoken slowly and deliberatly
Old 10-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,349 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
Lysol makes a good torch. Oven cleaner in the face, glasses or not stops them cold.
Really? That sounds like an interesting story.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:42 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
It should be noted that Israel actually does use 10/22s for crowd control though like you said they are backed up by other major cartridges.
That's exactly what I was thinking of (well, that and the hush puppy) when I typed that.

An d like I said and you recognized: the fact that they are always backed up by a serious caliber says how much they (aren't) trusted to do the job alone.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,861 Times in 972 Posts

I own a good many firearms. Of all types and calibers. My home defense gun is a plain jane Springfield XD with a white light. I have 5 kids, so I don't want any more penetration than I have to have. Secondly, I want to have a free hand to usher kids, open doors, ect.

After the kids grow up....it will be

#1 10.5" 300 Blackout SBR with Silencerco Hybrid suppressor
#2 Rem 870, 00 Buck
#3 Rock River LAR-15
The Following User Says Thank You to hanzy4200 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,196 Times in 1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSURocketScientist View Post
Long story short, my wife and I recently moved into a house after being apartment dwellers for many years. Prior to closing, I knew that the my home defense strategy would need to be altered according to our new living situation, so I did some research (used SB as a source for some of my analysis), assessed what things could be utilized from my apartment defense strategy, and compiled a list of what I believe are the top 5 home defense weapons (well, weapon classes more specifically):

Top 5 Home Defense Weapons // Remnant Outdoors - YouTube

Of course, everyone's situation is going to be different depending on multiple factors, but I'd love to hear some feedback on what you guys think about this list and what gaps or potential weaknesses exist that may disqualify a weapon class from being an option. I may even use some feedback to help support the research for future videos. Thanks and God bless.
#4 baseball bat or batton.
No, just no.
I'd take the pistol or rifle over the pump for home defense. OR just get an auto shotgun. You dont want to have to use both hands and manifualte the gun to fire each shot. You could be wounded, you could be fighting with someone on top of you.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,395 Times in 2,770 Posts

Everyone knows a flamethrower is the best self defence weapon made. Just make sure your house has a good sprinkler system.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Hiker

Default My Top 5 Home Defense Weapons List

if one is serious about protection one first and foremost needs a firearm. anything in 22lr can work, and 22lr may be all one can afford/get/tolerate. get to responsibly know it well, both you and all mature members of your realm. perhaps start with just a 22lr rifle if that which is all allowed to you, or first get a 22lr handgun if able. shotguns are for folks willing to be at the next level up who have an accessible practice spot. most indoor ranges allow a 22lr rifle. after a 22lr handgun, if the shooting bug bites, get a centerfire handgun, a ccw permit etc. but if you stop at having a well honed and comfortable 22lr anything you are ahead of 90% of the pack.

the cold, hard truth is that relying on anything other than a firearm in your hands for protection puts the odds firmly on you ultimately being a victim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
#4 baseball bat or batton.
No, just no.
I'd take the pistol or rifle over the pump for home defense. OR just get an auto shotgun. You dont want to have to use both hands and manifualte the gun to fire each shot. You could be wounded, you could be fighting with someone on top of you.
100%