My Top 5 Home Defense Weapons List - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,876 Times in 5,160 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSURocketScientist View Post
Long story short, my wife and I recently moved into a house after being apartment dwellers for many years. Prior to closing, I knew that the my home defense strategy would need to be altered according to our new living situation, so I did some research (used SB as a source for some of my analysis), assessed what things could be utilized from my apartment defense strategy, and compiled a list of what I believe are the top 5 home defense weapons (well, weapon classes more specifically)...(snip)
Not a bad list, personally I have "big scary dog" on there somewhere (I have a GSD/Great Dane mix that sounds and looks terrifying, but is really kind of a softie), but like you said, all of ours are different.
Kudos to you for having a plan and practicing. It's a big plus.

But just be aware, that anything from a shotgun - buck, birdshot, slugs - will penetrate a standard interior residential wall. Don't have a false sense of security in a miss, remember number four of the four rules:
"Identify your target, and know what is beyond it."

And I wouldn't suggest birdshot in way shape or form. Yes, up close it's a big ball creating a messy wound, but the wound ends up being shallow, which means it's not a physical disabler.
Yes, birdshot may give you a psychological win, but if the attacker is determined, on drugs, whatever, you may find yourself in a bad way.
It does you no good if the BG bleeds out an hour later, after he's wrought his havoc on your family.

Personally I prefer buck for indoor work, and I like the 20ga for room distances. JMHO, etc...
Also, I don't care about muzzle sweeping someone who might be a threat in my home (remember rule 4), so I'm a fan of weapon lights. That way I can keep what I'm looking at illuminated while still having a hand free to open a door, hit a light switch, herd a kid, whatever.
But again, we all have our different ways. Good video.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,870 Times in 2,158 Posts

I would put yourself in the top five
Looks you can handle your business just fine
Hands-on
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSURocketScientist View Post
but I'd love to hear some feedback on what you guys think about this list and what gaps or potential weaknesses exist that may...
Anything you can do to the home to reduce the chance of you needing to draw a weapon of any kind. Could be motion lights, or a dog, could be an alarm system, could simply be stickers on the windows that say you have an alarm system installed when you do not...

The stuff in the video should be last resort stuff not first.
The Following User Says Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Could be motion lights, or a dog, could be an alarm system, could simply be stickers on the windows that say you have an alarm system installed when you do not...
Better yet...no windows on your ground floors and fortified doors. Nobody is getting into my house without shaped charges. For the vast majority of people $500 spent on their doors and windows would do them more good than $500 spend on a glock.

Not that I'm anti-gun by any means, but my top five list would be all home construction tips before you got to guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Better yet...no windows on your ground floors and fortified doors. Nobody is getting into my house without shaped charges. .
2 matches and a can of gasoline and you will open the door in a hurry.

Or jump out a second story window...

Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Could be motion lights, or a dog, could be an alarm system, could simply be stickers on the windows that say you have an alarm system installed when you do not...
Better yet...no windows on your ground floors and fortified doors. Nobody is getting into my house without shaped charges. For the vast majority of people $500 spent on their doors and windows would do them more good than $500 spend on a glock.

Not that I'm anti-gun by any means, but my top five list would be all home construction tips before you got to guns.
No windows so you die in a fire if you can’t get to the door ? Or die of heat stroke if the power goes out in the summer ?

Plus most home walls are almost as easy to breach.

Make getting in noisy and shoot the intruder if he persists. That means dogs , alarms , secure windows and if possible a double door with good locks and a kick proof storm door made from lexan.

Make it harder to get in and they will go somewhere else.

In SHTF perimeter security is what works.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:49 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

No windows so you die in a fire if you can’t get to the door ? Or die of heat stroke if the power goes out in the summer ?

Make getting in noisy and shoot the intruder if he persists. That means dogs , alarms , secure windows and if possible a double door with good locks and a kick proof storm door made from lexan.

Make it harder to get in and they will go somewhere else.

In SHTF perimeter security is what works.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 AM

I keep a few M80s and smoke bombs stashed around the house, and an aluminum softball bat and a pistol in each room. If a meth monkey can get past me and my stashes, he's probably wearing body armor and a gas mask.
Good idea if you're in a new residence is to turn the lights off on a moonless night and practice moving around the house quietly. If someone breaks in it will probably be at night, and you don't want to be silhouetting yourself against any lights or giving away your position. If you see a flashlight or someone flips on a room light, toss in an M80 and a smoke bomb and get ready for the party.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,826 Times in 8,395 Posts

Lock the door. Don't deal drugs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
2 matches and a can of gasoline and you will open the door in a hurry.
Lol..please....

Why would I do that? Fire is the #1 thing to prep for. It would take a lot more fire than that to make me consider leaving. Opening to door to face people trying burn me out would be the last thing I would do. I'd just take position at one of my upper windows and look for the A hole who tried to set my house on fire while the flames burned out.

Besides, how many home invasions involve arson? Its slow, its showy and hard to pull off if murder is your goal.

If its theft....well then burning down what you are trying to steal is so dumb even thieves know better....which would go the same for SHTF raiders.

Quote:
Always funny how people worry about not being able to get out of their house. Are people that afraid of their own homes? My house is the safest place I know in a fire. If you can't deal with a fire in your own house without running away you should make that the focus of your preps as its a very really possibility even in normal times and a near certainty in SHTF.

But sure, if I needed to get out I have several exits available, none of them windows. I prefer fortified doors. Much harder to break in through, and easier to leave from.

Quote:
Indeed. I don't have a normal home though...but even normal people aren't really facing people who are breaking through there walls in a home invasion so really, armoring their doors and windows is enough for almost everyone. Not even ,SWAT, usually is blowing holes in your walls.

Quote:
Make getting in noisy and shoot the intruder if he persists.
Of course.

Really people....these are silly questions. Fire prevention should go without saying as its the most likely type of 'SHTF' that most people are going to face.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 05:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts

Jamar is good people and if you take the time to watch you'll find a quality primer for novices with plenty of caveats; this was "his" top five.

A couple of observations is that I much prefer a weapons mounted light in addition to a handheld light. Yes, there's a concern about sweeping a potential friendly, but that's why you use a safety and keep your booger picker off the trigger. While I wouldn't use a WML as a primary means of target identification, that's what it can do.

Having taken several classes, it's readily apparent older folks and smaller statured men and women are choosing the AR over a handgun for home defense. You can get more proficient with a carbine than a handgun (even at short distances) much quicker with equal training time. Over-penetration is over-exaggerated as well and has been proven time and again. The biggest downsides as you mentioned are size and maneuvering in tight quarters; again a more a training issue than disadvantage. Lastly, I really recommend a sling as it allows you more control if you're forced to hold your carbine one-handed.

Shotguns are effective, but the same people choosing a small-caliber carbine over a handgun would likely be avoiding the shotgun for the same reasons. Reduced power loads are a good compromise (or downsizing to a 20 gauge), but shotguns really do require just as much training as a rifle or handgun for proficiency; inside a house, patterns are rarely larger than fist size...aiming is imperative as is a WML for the same reasons as the rifle.

I'm not big on knives for such a scenario, but if necessary, I much prefer a fixed blade (maybe even a short sword) if a firearm wasn't an option. I'm also not opposed to a baseball bat, but getting a good swing in a tight hallway or stairwell isn't easy; training on how to jab and "chop" with a weapon of that size is quite helpful.

Don't discount less-than-lethal as a backup. There have been occurrences of a drunk neighbor breaking into what they think is "their home". If belligerent, a good dose of pepper spray or joint-whacks with a baton will subdue them enough until the police arrive. While lethal force might be justified, having options is never a bad thing to protect your financial portfolio and avoid legal hassles.

Aerindel does bring up some extremely valid points of home defense that can significantly reduce the risks of having to resort to a kinetic or physical self defense. As already mentioned, fire suppression is your first goal to make sure you don't have to vacate your home.

There are numerous passive measures to increase the hardened-perception of your home and drop it down on the list of potential targets. A dog is always a good deterrent. Motion sensing lights around the outside are very effective. Having a home alarm system with posted signs will deter the less determined. Motion cameras are very effective for the casual thief as well. After that, you can ensure all your major entry points have alarm sensors and two locking measures (window lock, dowel rod; dead-bolt, chain, etc.).

Make access to outer windows difficult with thorny shrubs.

Lastly, if you have a family with young children, make sure they know a couple basic drills (fire drill, break-in drill). With the proliferation of smart phones, you could contact the kids upstairs or in the room at the other end of the house and tell them to stay low, get in the closet, etc. Oh, and make sure you call 9.11 as soon as you get a chance...another good reason to have your home alarm on while you're at home.

Congrats on the new home Jamar, good video and I wish you the best of luck.

ROCK6
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 08:33 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,473 Times in 5,565 Posts

The mastiffs are our first line of defense and our warning system. As we age, our reflexes and mobility degrade so they provide us additional time we may need to confront the threat.
A good list in the video but your mileage may vary depending on individual circumstances.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Thanked 1,043 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
Anything you can do to the home to reduce the chance of you needing to draw a weapon of any kind. Could be motion lights, or a dog, could be an alarm system, could simply be stickers on the windows that say you have an alarm system installed when you do not...

The stuff in the video should be last resort stuff not first.
I absolutely agree. I plan on creating a 'home defense tools' video, which include deterrents similar to what you mentioned, but I figured I'd make a weapon-related video first, since it would be more fun to film

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Jamar is good people and if you take the time to watch you'll find a quality primer for novices with plenty of caveats; this was "his" top five.
You know my name? Crap, I've been outed!

In all seriousness, thanks everyone for the encouraging words (as well as the critiques). I'm not just a 'youtuber' posting on this site for views, as I've been a member of SB since 2012 I don't post a whole lot these days, but I do lurk quite a bit
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NCSURocketScientist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Just One More Gun

It's difficult for us smaller YouTubers to make good videos. So accolades there OP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,313 Posts

Remember outside dogs that are fenced in are vulnerable to gun fire. Mainly of value to less motivated thieves. Their value is as warning device. My dogs in 90 lbs range and one in 65 lb class to deal with protecting my place from critters and such.
A burglar can also poison the dogs.

Below is an example

Old 10-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,621 Times in 649 Posts

Watched the video (I don't normally, but since the OP stuck around to chat, I'm in), and I gotta say it's a good topic for the intended audience. You gotta remember, not everyone who looks at the youtube is a member of these boards. This is a great introductory video for folks who are just getting into the game and just starting to think about home defense.

Kudos, and good luck with the new digs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Prepared

Everything you mentioned except strong language is a deadly weapon.

If it's got to be a deadly weapon, I prefer the ability to deliver the greatest usable energy to stop a threat as quickly and with as little personal risk as possible.

Although prepared to leave the confines of my home, my initial response is a Mossberg 12 gauge Shockwave with 00 buckshot. Second, just because it's quicker and more handy, is a semi-auto handgun with 10 shot or greater capacity. Both have flashlights and green lasers that are simultaneously activated.

The situation will dictate my response to threats outside my dwelling, perhaps calling for different defensive tools. Most likely will be a telephone to summon the public protection for which I pay taxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to fflincher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Lol..please....

Why would I do that? Fire is the #1 thing to prep for. It would take a lot more fire than that to make me consider leaving. Opening to door to face people trying burn me out would be the last thing I would do. I'd just take position at one of my upper windows and look for the A hole who tried to set my house on fire while the flames burned out.
Let me guess, You live in a solid rock cave with no combustibles inside?

Or is it a steel shipping container with nothing inside?

Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,797 Times in 19,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
Let me guess, You live in a solid rock cave with no combustibles inside?

Or is it a steel shipping container with nothing inside?

Pretty close:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=818394

My current accommodations are not immune, merely resistant.
But in a few years my next accommodations.... Won't be cheap, but will be highly secure.

some talk, some do.

He does.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Pretty close:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=818394

My current accommodations are not immune, merely resistant.
But in a few years my next accommodations.... Won't be cheap, but will be highly secure.

some talk, some do.

He does.
Thanks.

But I well also claim merely resistant....but resistant enough that I'm not very worried about a can of gas deployed against the outside of my place.

There are certainly ways I could be burned out...but they would require significantly more means than "two matches and a can of gas"

I'm pretty well equipped for fire, and pretty comfortable working with it.

A youtube video of mine, non-brand, non-monetized, just a fun little vid of something I made and some of my fire starting and fire fighting gear.

FYI, that is about two gallons of gasoline, which as you can see, mostly burns off in seconds and only starts a fire as its projected into what amounts to a pile of kindling. Deployed against a smooth wall, even of conventional construction you can see how most of it would simple burn up.

This posted has wandered off topic, didn't mean to even touch on fire prevention here but that seemed to be the first thing people jumped on when I talked about not having big holes in my walls filled with easily broken material as a home defense strategy.

Or simply locking your doors. A lot of people seem to die needlessly because they have made themselves well armed, but made little to no attempt at physical security for their home.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post: