Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM

Default "Manual" Water Pump for Well users

Advertise Here

For those of you looking for an EXTREMELY low cost well pump that will work with no electricity..

Pretty much maintenance free, simple, and effective.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to urbanprep For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,066 Posts

That's not a pump.
It's a bucket.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,297 Times in 8,917 Posts

You need to add a self opening drain mechanism so you can just set that 'thief bailer' over the bucket on the opener instead of tipping it over to empty.

Have a bucket or a held open bag for the rope, otherwise you send grass and dirt down the well.

Advanced units have a pole with a pulley for lifting the bailer and the opening mechanism injects the water anywhere down hill you want via a garden hose.

I designed and built an advanced unit for a buddy. He used it for a year and a half to pump water for his family of 3. About 2.5 hours each and every night.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
You need to add a self opening drain mechanism so you can just set that 'thief bailer' over the bucket on the opener instead of tipping it over to empty.

Have a bucket or a held open bag for the rope, otherwise you send grass and dirt down the well.

Advanced units have a pole with a pulley for lifting the bailer and the opening mechanism injects the water anywhere down hill you want via a garden hose.

I designed and built an advanced unit for a buddy. He used it for a year and a half to pump water for his family of 3. About 2.5 hours each and every night.

I like your idea around the pole and pulley as well.

Iím taking note. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
That's not a pump.
It's a bucket.

Agreed.

If you ever have no electricity and want a way to continue to get drinkable water, which is the reason most people want a backup pump or hand pump, this is something people can build and store for those emergency situations.

I should clarify, this isnít my video. I just thought it was an awesome redundancy to have available to me and worth sharing with the community.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM

ezwaterwellhandpumps.com

This seems a better alternative for a hand pump. Don't have one, but saved the link when I saw it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanprep View Post
Agreed.

If you ever have no electricity and want a way to continue to get drinkable water, which is the reason most people want a backup pump or hand pump, this is something people can build and store for those emergency situations.

I should clarify, this isnít my video. I just thought it was an awesome redundancy to have available to me and worth sharing with the community.

It's a fine device if you have a well large enough that has nothing inside the casing.

A better way would be to use an actual pump that would work in a much smaller opening and not risk contaminating the well.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,278 Times in 1,825 Posts

This method is introducing bacteria into the well.
OK for using the water for watering plants, flushing toilets, etc. but not for drinking without treatment.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,297 Times in 8,917 Posts

I have a 4" well liner in a 6" hole. The top of the well is cased with 8" steel. I have a pitless adapter about 4' below the ground level. The main electric pump is about 185' down the 220' drilled hole. Static water level is about 25' down.

I had to pull my pump after 14 years of faithful survive. PIA with issues I posted about before in the DIY section.

Made up a drop down the hole DC electric pump system that only requires me to remove the well cap (I could plumb it in and leave it easily enough) however I might need to use it with the INCH cart or loan it to someone if their pump quits.

I started with one pump and it would only work for a few gallons, then I would have to wait for the water level to come back up. So I added a second booster that will fit inside the liner with the actual 1" water supply line, pump wires and retrieval cable. This second pump is about 10' under water so the system can pump continuous. The system will easily run on a 100 W panel. With a small battery I'm good for days to weeks without sun.

Here is the finished prototype with 100' of supply water tubing - enough to go fro the well to inside my house. I need to replace the Romex. It is fused and switched at the top of the well. I posted the prices and spec's in some other DIY thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:27 AM

In Sweden they make a hand pump for drilled wells. I do not know the max depth of the hole but more than 60 yds. The brand is Lejon (=lion)
Old 10-20-2019, 01:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,827 Times in 905 Posts

Depends upon depth of your water. While we have a several hundred foot well, our water is only about a foot down. For a backup we use a pitcher pump that can suck water from as much as 20 feet. Twenty feet from a 6" well give us a decent amount of water.

Here's ours:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-So...00NL/203449574
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,951 Times in 928 Posts
Exclamation

This style of bucket has been around probably just about as long as theyíve been drilling wells!

An easier way of getting the water out (In many cases!) is to trip the door (Ball in this design.) in the bottom and drain it directly into the bucket.

Doing this often or from much depth makes you appreciate a good hand pump, but short term this is very doable!

SD
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM

In my country, in rural areas, such wells made of concrete rings are often used as an emergency source of water. Even with a complete blackout, you can always get the right amount of water using an ordinary bucket tied to a chain.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrHmuriy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 08:49 PM
ICBM Warrior

I'm seriously considering this one.

https://www.gunslingerwellpumps.com/

While I agree the simple pump may be better, it didn't seem quite so simple as this one.

Some pretty good youtube videos as well. Trying to figure a better way to keep the small amount of water from coming out of the top.