Time to Update Vehicle Winter Kit - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 AM

Advertise Here

I can't wait for the annual "WRAP YOUR PIPES" news stories for the one day it approaches 32F down here.

WRAP YOUR PIPES OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZippyTheWonderPig For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:08 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,740 Times in 20,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Checked and tested the block heater and extension cord

Will get the antifreeze taken care of for as cold as possible and the tires filled with nitrogen closer to real cold. Antifreeze checked good for -34F, and i don't want to spend $$$ for nitrogen fills until I get the new tires.

Need to get some Musher's Secret and throw some (more) small towels in the car.
Why do people fall for the "N2 in the tires" sales pitch?

I maybe can understand it for tires on a jetliner. But on a car?? Air works fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 03:31 AM

Haven't had a real winter in ten years where I live. Few days in the teens at night and the rest of the time I could ride my motorcycle during the days.
I've got a 4x4 SUV with big tires in case there's snow, but I've only needed it twice since I bought it new ten years ago. Rest of the time I'm either on my bike or driving my pickup. Just in case, before the first frost I change the oil, filter and coolant in all my vehicles. Put tire chains in my PU tool box and threw a monster sleeping bag and a backpack full of cold weather gear and non perishable food into the SUV.
Used to live where there was lots of snow and ice and I hated it, but now I could use one or two good storms every winter.
Funny story. Last time we had a big snow storm and lots of ice, I thought I'd finally got a reason for having the 4x4 in my driveway. I pulled the tarp off of it, BUT THE DOOR LOCKS WERE FROZEN, so I couldn't get into it. Didn't have time to thaw them out, so I put the chains on the back of my truck and drove it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 AM

It dipped down to 65 deg F the other day.

I saw families walking down the sidewalk with huge hooded winter coats fit for an arctic expedition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavrilo princip View Post
Haven't had a real winter in ten years where I live. Few days in the teens at night and the rest of the time I could ride my motorcycle during the days.
I've got a 4x4 SUV with big tires in case there's snow, but I've only needed it twice since I bought it new ten years ago. Rest of the time I'm either on my bike or driving my pickup. Just in case, before the first frost I change the oil, filter and coolant in all my vehicles. Put tire chains in my PU tool box and threw a monster sleeping bag and a backpack full of cold weather gear and non perishable food into the SUV.
Used to live where there was lots of snow and ice and I hated it, but now I could use one or two good storms every winter.
Funny story. Last time we had a big snow storm and lots of ice, I thought I'd finally got a reason for having the 4x4 in my driveway. I pulled the tarp off of it, BUT THE DOOR LOCKS WERE FROZEN, so I couldn't get into it. Didn't have time to thaw them out, so I put the chains on the back of my truck and drove it to work.
When I was a kid, the car doors on my 67 mustang would freeze shut all the time. I would leave the car with the heater set to maximum, ad carried a jumper wire for the engine. The hood was just a grab the lever and lift sort of thing, and then I would put the jumper on the coil to energize the ignition. Then use my metal key to short across the starter relay, starting the engine. Go back inside for a few minutes till it warmed up, then go out and open the doors, remove the jumper, restart the car and take off.

probably none of that is possible on a modern car though.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,519 Times in 1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not PC View Post
Put my winter tires on both vehicles
Put OW-30 in the truck (car uses OW-20 so cold starts aren't much of an issue)
Added warm socks, thermals, gloves, hat, old coat, and old winter boots to the get home bag
cleaned & lubed the get home bag gun
stocked up on winter windshield washer fluid ($1.78 per gallon at Wal-mart!)
snow chains in the trunk of the car & truck toolbox
collapsible shovels in both vehicles
300-lbs of sand bags in the truck bed
New MREs in the get home bags

still need to change the battery in the truck; it's 5 years old and I suspect a cell or two has gone bad.

regarding tires, don't listen to anyone who says all-season tires are adequate for lots snow & ice. Proper winter tires are the only safe option. One of my friends is a HWP officer up here. He tells me that he rarely encounters winter crashes where the vehicle had proper winter tires. Almost all the wrecks he sees are cars with all-season tires. I always used all-seasons until last year when I bought winter tires and was shocked at how well winter tires grip on ice and handle the snow compared to all-season tires. I can go places I couldn't before and do it much faster while still being safe. Now, I'll never go another winter without proper winter tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
YEP...
ENTIRELY different rubber composition used for REAL snows vs "all season"

Real snows are softer and grip better and they also wear faster, sorry about that. It is why I have 2 sets of tires, winter snows and summer all seasons for each vehicle except the dually. One ton daully 3500 4x with 454 big block... don't need no snows on that sumB
I prefer a mud/snow tire. While they don't work as well as either for a specific purpose they do work well for both 12-14" of snow I sometimes have do drive in and for the closed dirt roads due to snowmelt that I sometimes find myself driving down.

If going with a straight snow tire get the tallest that will fit your truck and the thinnest. The thin tires keep your weight focused on a smaller area and provide better handling.

With a lot of ice about the best you can do is studs or chains, but you can't use them in Michigan.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,490 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
I prefer a mud/snow tire. While they don't work as well as either for a specific purpose they do work well for both 12-14" of snow I sometimes have do drive in and for the closed dirt roads due to snowmelt that I sometimes find myself driving down.

If going with a straight snow tire get the tallest that will fit your truck and the thinnest. The thin tires keep your weight focused on a smaller area and provide better handling.

With a lot of ice about the best you can do is studs or chains, but you can't use them in Michigan.
ONLY if they catch you...(see earlier post)

Actually you can run chains so long as there is snow on the road.

The Michigan DOT website does state that a person may use a tire chain of reasonable proportion on a vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to skid. However, it further states that the chain must not come into contact with the surface of the roadway.Dec 27, 2012
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post

Big mudders work in deep snow & mud, but not so well on ice. Like you, I also drive several miles on dirt roads daily and like to have traction when it's muddy. I agree that most winter tires lack an agressive tread that works well in mud or deep snow; I think most are designed for ice & packed snow only.

I run the Dunlap Grandtrek SJ6 in the winter. It's a non-studded winter tire that also performs well off-road, so it works for ice, deep snow, and mud. It's the only winter tire that's also an effective AT tire that I've found.

Crazy that MI has stud & chain restrictions. It certainly gets icy enough up there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Not PC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 05:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,519 Times in 1,571 Posts

Quote:

The Michigan DOT website does state that a person may use a tire chain of reasonable proportion on a vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to skid. However, it further states that the chain must not come into contact with the surface of the roadway.Dec 27, 2012
While you are correct we all know that not every officer knows the entirety of all laws. As an example how many of them do you know that would say it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade over 3" when in fact if you go to the MI State Police website and read the knife laws it states that, but it also states With Malicious Intent. Making it an old Jim Crow law.

For me I figure rather than risking paying a fine or a lawyer it's cheaper to just leave early and drive slowly.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts

I checked through the expiry dates on the emergency food I keep in the car, and renewed those out of date. No point keeping warm and fed in the snow drift, only to give yourself gastroenteritis in the morning.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,216 Times in 645 Posts

Regarding talk about rubber compounds earlier, this quick test came out 4 days ago.

My choice for this winter are studless winter tires on both vehicles. Winters up here ain't what they used to be. Now that my work car is actually a van, I'm in the process of gathering some gear in it also.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:02 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,123 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Why do people fall for the "N2 in the tires" sales pitch?

I maybe can understand it for tires on a jetliner. But on a car?? Air works fine.
I don't like filling up my tires when it's -40F, if there's even an air working. I also don't like driving on under-inflated tires. Air contracts when it gets colder and colder, so eventually if you don't do something, one or more tire(s) get pretty flat.

I had an ugly reminder last winter.

No more issues after I had nitrogen done. The last time I heard my brother laugh was at my tires.

Depends on how cold it gets [and maybe for how long] whether it's worth it or not. Ditto for block heaters, battery blankets, different oil, windshield washer fluid, antifreeze, etc. in the winter. The place I bought my car at (not in Minnesota) from looked at me like I had two heads when I wanted a block heater, but they got one from Canada for me That and remote start are among the best features on that car
Old 10-20-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I don't like filling up my tires when it's -40F, if there's even an air working. I also don't like driving on under-inflated tires. Air contracts when it gets colder and colder, so eventually if you don't do something, one or more tire(s) get pretty flat.

I had an ugly reminder last winter.

No more issues after I had nitrogen done. The last time I heard my brother laugh was at my tires.

Depends on how cold it gets [and maybe for how long] whether it's worth it or not. Ditto for block heaters, battery blankets, different oil, windshield washer fluid, antifreeze, etc. in the winter. The place I bought my car at (not in Minnesota) from looked at me like I had two heads when I wanted a block heater, but they got one from Canada for me That and remote start are among the best features on that car
LOL. N2 contracts exactly the same as air does in cold weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 AM

I checked and most sites agree with you.

I wonder why the tires stayed inflated much better? They were properly inflated with air at the beginning of winter, but didn't stay inflated very well. They did with the nitrogen. The car lived outside all through the winter. The only things I can think of are the nitrogen fill occurred after the temps had gone down significantly, or the regular caps on the valves were leaky, or someone was ****ing with me (not likely).
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I checked and most sites agree with you.

I wonder why the tires stayed inflated much better? They were properly inflated with air at the beginning of winter, but didn't stay inflated very well. They did with the nitrogen. The car lived outside all through the winter. The only things I can think of are the nitrogen fill occurred after the temps had gone down significantly, or the regular caps on the valves were leaky, or someone was ****ing with me (not likely).
Maybe they replaced the valves or the valve seats?

The only advantage to N2 filling tires is the slight flammability improvement on Airliner tires, since they get so abused when the aircraft lands and brakes.

The rest is just marketing hype. (much of my career was spent engineering air separation plants, so I am quite confident in addressing any issues regarding air, O2, N2, and argon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not PC View Post
Crazy that MI has stud & chain restrictions. It certainly gets icy enough up there.
Minnesota also prohibits use of studded snow tires, except vehicles registered in a state or country that allows them, if they are in Minnesota occasionally. Occasionally is more than 30 days in a 6 month period, and the exception does not apply if the regular place of employment or school is in Minnesota.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.72