Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 PM
°Salga de aquŪ!

Thanked 8,846 Times in 2,946 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
BTW, In the not to distant future, you will see these waterproof cases for sale.
Which resolves the Zippo fuel evaporation issue.
As a Zippo insert fits perfectly inside one.

Molle compatible and/or belt clip

I gotta have one. Tell me more...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeTarzan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,008 Times in 7,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
I gotta have one. Tell me more...
It will be a few weeks before the shipment arrives.
Will do a show & tell pic demo - when it does.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Ha! I’ve always been more limited in food than lighter fluid.

Too many here equate all survival situations with minimalism. I thought this thread was about the love of Zippo lighters for fire starting, not survival.

The most important fire I plan to start with my Zippo is my cigar.

Well, when a topic is on SURVIVALIST BOARDS, in the SURVIVAL and preparedness forum, in the wilderness SURVIVAL sub forum and the OP says don't discount the zippo for your PREPS.....

.....you have to forgive people for thinking its a survivalist subject.

Not a minimalist but I have no time for things that stop working on their own without constant looking out for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 5,756 Times in 1,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
They always go dry on me. Gave up on them many years ago because of that. They where always dead when I needed one and I didnít want a lighter that required a maintenance cycle to keep functional.
I've tried to love them, but this is my exact issue.

I purchased one a year ago. Ever so often, I pull it out and can't get it to flame. I then fill it up with fuel again and it works. Then a month later... its dry and won't work again.

I even made sure it is stored, standing up-right. Didn't matter.

I'm all ears... what am I doing wrong? I'm not a smoker, so it will never be used unless I need it in an emergency and need to light a fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,008 Times in 7,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I've tried to love them, but this is my exact issue.

I purchased one a year ago. Ever so often, I pull it out and can't get it to flame. I then fill it up with fuel again and it works. Then a month later... its dry and won't work again.

I even made sure it is stored, standing up-right. Didn't matter.

I'm all ears... what am I doing wrong? I'm not a smoker, so it will never be used unless I need it in an emergency and need to light a fire.
Double ranger bands slow Zippo fuel evaporation considerably.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,408 Posts

I have a couple Zippo's and knock-offs. And one of the tighter sealing vintage lighters that Bunkerbuster sometimes shows. I don't carry or use them on a daily basis. One of my Zippo's has a butane insert (still have the original insert set aside) because the butane jet is better for toasting the foot of my occasional cigar. The Zippo type lighters are just another tool in the toolbox that can be pressed into service should the need arise. If SHTF, I figure I might have more need of a flame more often than I do now.
I also have several peanut lighters. One in my pocket every day. One on my EDC bag. One in each BoB. I also have a few of the Zippo hand warmers and somewhere an original Jon-E handwarmer that run on lighter fluid. Those things are great and will be much appreciated once the disposable warmers are gone.
Because of that I have several cans of lighter fluid and plenty of naphtha. Also, secure, leakproof, portable ways to carry fluid, including Stanley flasks from Walmart (one in each BoB), Zippo fuel canisters (one in my pocket and one on my EDC).
I have a bunch of ways to start a fire. Tons of matches, both strike anywhere and on box, in large and small sizes. God knows how many ferro rods/strikers. All shapes and sizes of butane lighters and torches and cans of butane to refill them. Naturally, lots of disposable Bic lighters (they are everywhere, too). PotPerm/Glycerin. Homemade and store bought tinder's too many to count.
Probably more.
I don't know which I might need when. So Zippo's and the necessary fluid are part of it all.
Plus, it's fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,924 Times in 10,478 Posts

Quote:
Well, when a topic is on SURVIVALIST BOARDS, in the SURVIVAL and preparedness forum, in the wilderness SURVIVAL sub forum and the OP says don't discount the zippo for your PREPS.....
And that is EXACTLY what you are doing, discounting the zippo for your PREPS. Did you read the OP support for what is survival about Zippo's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Who has and uses a good old Zippo? If you don't know this, they will last almost forever. I've had some that my grandfather used. What is survival about them ... So, just sayin', don't discount the good ole Zippo from your preps.
Quote:
.....you have to forgive people for thinking its a survivalist subject.
Not familiar with Venn Diagram's eh? More than one thing can get the job done. Never heard the adage, "Two is one, one is none?" (This can be thought of 2x or x + y. That is, 2 of the same thing or two different ways to achieve the same thing.) I carry a knife and a saw. Not 2 knives. I carry a butane lighter and a Zippo, not 2 butane lighters that could get cracked in a fall.

Quote:
Not a minimalist but I have no time for things that stop working on their own without constant looking out for.
LOL You are a minimalist since you have no time for things that stop working on their own without constant looking out for, e.g., my plate constantly runs out of food. Yes, high performance requires high maintenance.

Much more fuel is needed for other purposes, such as engines, stoves. With gallons and pints of fuel available, complaining about Zippo's need for a teaspoon of fuel with each use is petty.

I've seen butane lighters fail in the field more times than I can count. Perhaps you'll make time then ...

Last edited by PeterEnergy; 10-08-2019 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: grammar
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,720 Posts

I say again for those who glossed over my earlier post getting into thread drift.

I pick up old Zippos and knockoffs cheap at yard sales. I then "field strip" them to remove the inner packing, and then stuff the body with petroleum jelly infused cotton balls, put an extra flint on top of the PJCB stack, and also tuck a couple more PJCBs inside the folding cover.

This makes a great compact fire kit carrier for tinder and reliable flint wheel striker you can always have with you. It contains tinder and flint for making 6-10 fires in your pocket. I put one in a pocket of EVERY outer garment.

The petroleum jelly will never, ever evaporate! and I don't waste my fire by lighting tobbacco...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,359 Posts

I have never tried it but will a Zippo in a snack ZipLock bag solve the problem. Right now I don't recall where my old Zippo is but I am sure I didn't toss it.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I have never tried it but will a Zippo in a snack ZipLock bag solve the problem. Right now I don't recall where my old Zippo is but I am sure I didn't toss it.
Did not work for me, nor did a single Ranger Band.

The double-band idea posted above is worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,742 Posts

Zippo = Harley Davidson
Bic=Honda
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
And that is EXACTLY what you are doing, discounting the zippo for your PREPS. Did you read the OP support for what is survival about Zippo's?
I did. And I adamantly disagree with it.

So you tried to lower the bar for the zippo by saying:

Quote:
I thought this thread was about the love of Zippo lighters for fire starting, not survival.
Sadly, this is a very common argument on this forum. "Well, you would be right if we where talking about prepping but this is just about how we like such and such"

If that was true it should be in the general section. I pointed out that this thread was posted multiple forums deep in 'survival', a task which the zippo is categorically ill suited for. A person is free to love anything they like. But 'love' is not the basis of practicality. "Kill your darlings" should be as true of survivalism as it is in writing.

So you changed your tune and are now you are trying again to somehow justify the zippo as a good survival tool again with more silly arguments. Have fun with that.

At the very least a person should at least be able to admit that they have made their choice's for less than practical reasons.

"Yes, I know it has its flaws but I use it anyway just because I like it" comes off better than coming up with increasingly hollow defenses for the indefensible.

I know I have certainly made multiple choices that are not the absolutely most practical for myself but I hope I realize this in most cases so when push comes to shove I can focus on what I need rather than what I like.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,021 Posts

I still carry a zippo, a couple of knock offs from the 60's with marijuana leaves on them and some metal matches. Part of my fall deer season ritual is to fill all of them with fuel. I don't smoke so the only use they get is fire starting during deer season. I really like the metal matches. extra flints last a really long time if you don't smoke. i put metal matches on my packs for zipper pulls
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Sadly, this is a very common argument on this forum. "Well, you would be right if we where talking about prepping but this is just about how we like such and such"

If that was true it should be in the general section.
Says you.

Quote:
I did. And I adamantly disagree with it.

So you tried to lower the bar for the zippo by saying:
You are truly ignorant of the venn diagram. BOTH are true. No lowering the bar.

Quote:
Who has and uses a good old Zippo?
If you, Aerindel, deny the 'good old' refers to an object of affection, bless your heart.

I have and use good old Zippo's.

Only your hatred for all things NOT minimalistic cause this absurd conflict. Can anyone guess why I have and use good old Zippo's? Yes, Johnny Aerindel, to start fires (most often, my cigars).

Venn diagram again ... some fires are made in survival situations. Zippo's are a valuable tool in a survival situation even if you deny it.

Quote:
If you don't know this, they will last almost forever. What is survival about them?... So, just sayin', don't discount the good ole Zippo from your preps.
Fortunately, of all the times I've used a Zippo and all the times I started fires were NOT in a survival situation.

Perhaps you, Aerindel , are too much of a minimalist butt nugget to recognize some people post in this sites sharing things in life they enjoy that are tangentially related to survival (not necessarily general section), such as the use of good old Zippo's for enjoying life ... and that pesky venn diagram again ... survival situations.

Maybe you could forgive people for thinking a thread entitled 'fire starting - Good Old Zippo' was about fire starting and the love of Zippo's - not just survival.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Yes, Johnny Aerindel, to start fires (most often, my cigars).
Why am I not surprised.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 AM
read more, post less

Quote:
If that was true it should be in the general section. I pointed out that this thread was posted multiple forums deep in 'survival', a task which the zippo is categorically ill suited for. A person is free to love anything they like. But 'love' is not the basis of practicality. "Kill your darlings" should be as true of survivalism as it is in writing.
Well, good sir, please do forgive me. I am but a n00b here per se, I have mostly lurked to learn and sometimes have posted in the (old) book section and a few political posts here and there. So, the next time I might have a fleeting thought about something that I might actually be able to contribute to this site instead of feeling like a leech, I most certainly will make sure I consult you first to make sure I post it in the section that you would prefer I post it.

Meanwhile, after all your matches are used up and your BIC lighters have cracked and/or been used up, I'll reach years later into that drawer, pull out my dried up old Zippo, fill it with some five-ten year old Naptha, replace the flint if needed with one from an old disposable I saved for that purpose five-ten years ago, and light whatever the hell I want to light.

Thank you for your support.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 AM
read more, post less

Quote:
It will be a few weeks before the shipment arrives.
Will do a show & tell pic demo - when it does.
Please count me in on when you do this show & tell and how I can purchase one if you plan on putting them up for sale.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Dog & Reptiles eater

Thanked 1,307 Times in 689 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
BTW, In the not to distant future, you will see these waterproof cases for sale.
Which resolves the Zippo fuel evaporation issue.
As a Zippo insert fits perfectly inside one.

Molle compatible and/or belt clip

Is that thing made by Zippo? or some unknown manufacturer somewhere? Does it actually work as advertised?
Where to buy it?

Thanks beforehand
Old 10-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Well, good sir, please do forgive me. I am but a n00b here per se, I have mostly lurked to learn and sometimes have posted in the (old) book section and a few political posts here and there. So, the next time I might have a fleeting thought about something that I might actually be able to contribute to this site instead of feeling like a leech, I most certainly will make sure I consult you first to make sure I post it in the section that you would prefer I post it.

Meanwhile, after all your matches are used up and your BIC lighters have cracked and/or been used up, I'll reach years later into that drawer, pull out my dried up old Zippo, fill it with some five-ten year old Naptha, replace the flint if needed with one from an old disposable I saved for that purpose five-ten years ago, and light whatever the hell I want to light.

Thank you for your support.
As a single zippo is good for a fire a day for at least ten years, no, I don’t think you will.

Post anything you want in whatever section you like. You where simply wrong about the zippo being a good survival tool. That’s no big deal. Peter on the other hand was arguing against the very nature of what survival means, and that is annoys the heck out of me. I still haven’t figured out a good catch all term for these people, survival groupies? Gear whores? I don’t know. You can identify them though by their post history. People who just like to hang out on a survival forum but all they do is talk politics and occasionally wander up into the survival section to troll.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You where simply wrong about the zippo being a good survival tool.
That's your opinion butt nugget.

I have 30 years experience telling me you're wrong, that Zippo's are excellent fire starting tools, among the very best truly.

And yes, Zippo's take maintenance, only needing a teaspoon of fuel per use. It's no big deal if you aren't lazy!

And yes, Zippo's are a great survival tool. It's just your hatred for doing any maintenance that blinds you.

And yes, Zippo's have loyal fans, are family heirlooms and artwork. Hence, the "good old" threat title. Seriously, you got problems posting hatefulness in a thread about appreciating good old Zippos - for fire starting. And you call me a troll?! Study up on Venn diagrams buddy. One day, your life might depend on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post: