pleasant surprise and a question - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-05-2019, 11:11 PM

Default pleasant surprise and a question

Advertise Here

hey guys was out shooting at the range (aka the backyard in rural iowa) and I had printed off some of the dot torture test targets and was shooting at them ( and not doing worth a **** to be honest 11/50 i guess i should stop shooting steel so much and focus on some accuracy) after getting my ass handed to me i pulled out the steel target again and rang it a couple mags at 10 to 12 yards. I practiced some both eye open shooting which i am still working on and had the wild hair to try some point shooting. i kept pulling the shot to the left about an inch off the steel so i had a hair brained idea and shot with the gun to the right about 6 inches or essentially with my shoulder straight and my head straight/not looking down the sights. to my amazement I rang 8 out of 10 shots with two being just off the steel by maybe an inch. I reloaded and rang 7 out of 10. since it was getting dark out i loaded up one more mag and tried it with more concentration on the target and shooting as fast as possible. unless a miss was hidden by the rapid shots which i dont think happened i rang all 10. my question is has anybody else tried shooting like this? im not sure how everyone else point shoots but i was always under the assumption that you held the gun the same as down the sights but just didnt look down them. basically im curious to see if im a freak of nature or if anyone else has sucess doing this lol thanks.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to blue924.9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Errrrr

Thanked 14,237 Times in 3,921 Posts

I had to qualify with the M9 several years ago.

I had to shoot at the target to the right of me and was still high on the right of my target.

Does that mean I shot like you...I dunno...but it does show how crappy the M9 is and I had the luxury hand-selected a pristine looking one too...
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Jackson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 01:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
I had to qualify with the M9 several years ago.

I had to shoot at the target to the right of me and was still high on the right of my target.

Does that mean I shot like you...I dunno...but it does show how crappy the M9 is and I had the luxury hand-selected a pristine looking one too...
I could never do better than. Sharpshooter with an M9.
Could do easy expert with my MEUSOC .45 though...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,084 Times in 962 Posts

Paragraphs.

Paragraphs my friend.

Didn't read.

Looked way too all jumblyrunonallinastraightthoughtwithoutpausingtobr eatheatall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,941 Times in 4,440 Posts

You can point shoot a number of different ways, and theres no right or wrong, if you can make good hits doing what youre doing.

A good portion of my weekly practice is point shooting, and I think its a very important skill to have.

A couple of great primers on it is "Shooting to Live" by Fairbairn, and "Kill or Get Killed", by Applegate. Old school at its best, and still very much current.

I do most of mine from nipple height on the body centerline, to just under the line of sight, basically shooting over top of the gun. Both one and two handed. Focus is on the target, and you "aim" with the body, not the arms. With a little practice, good solid hits where you were looking is the norm, not a fluke.

As far as the Berettas go, I was never really interested in them, until I picked one up cheap, and spent some quality time with it (funny how that works, isnt it? ). Now I have three, and shoot them a good bit, and find they are good, accurate shooters. Soft, easy shooters too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 1,741 Times in 698 Posts

Just a point to ponder, I used to work on my accuracy by shooting at a target that was rather far away. Something about the size of a 5 gallon bucket, or a stump, and the farther away the better. Usually I was practicing with my 92F, but sometimes it was with the Ruger 44mag just for fun. I suppose your Iowa back yard is almost as big as a secluded desert canyon in Utah so it should be easy enough to set up a few buckets at about 50, 75, and 100 yards or so. No need to measure, just walk out a ways and set them up.

The first mag or two I would actually aim and using "Kentucky elevation" I would walk the rounds up to the target. After several shots I would get the holdover right and I would try to get consistent hits on the target. My goal with this exercise was to work on sight alignment and trigger control. Take aim and focus on a smooth trigger pull. If you can hit 9 out of ten at a distance of 50 to 100 yards your skills are getting pretty good.

Once you feel confident in this drill switch back to your normal targets/steel. You will enjoy the confidence you will have shooting a target that close. I had a regular routine of various targets and various skills to practice, including a quick draw point and shoot, but I always started with shooting at a distant target first. It worked for me, and it worked for many other officers that asked me for help over the years.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to INresponse For This Useful Post: