Gun Cleaning Kit - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,904 Times in 7,551 Posts
Default Gun Cleaning Kit

Advertise Here

Looking for recommendations for a good all around gun cleaning kit that will cover handguns and rifles up to .50 Cal/shotguns. I've done a bunch of searching and all of what I'm seeing seems to have shortcomings. Up until now I've been using the cheapo Walmart kits and the like and let's just say they are less than desirable..
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2019, 12:38 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,074 Times in 20,542 Posts

I bought one of these Otis kits a while back to have something more portable than the collection of rod kits I had.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C52A5...i-a=B0000C52A5
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,941 Times in 4,440 Posts

Id just buy some "good" rods for your rifles (I like Dewey's), and three or four short, handgun rods. Im not real picky on the handgun rods. Its nice to have one for your loop, jag, and brushes, especially with the revolvers.

Skip the "sectioned" aluminum rods. Waste of money. Same goes for the plastic tips and jags.

A good set of brass jags and a set of dental type pics. The plastic pics work OK, but I have had them break.

Brushes of your choice for each caliber. I use both bronze and SS "Tornado.

I buy patches in the big bags of 1000. 2.25 x 2.25, .30, and .22 covers most of my needs. You can cut the larger patches as needed if you have to.

I buy Hoppes by the quart, and keep it in the generic 1 liter spray bottles. They work great for this. Have one for Eezox too.

A cheap plastic tool box from Walmart works great to hold everything. Lots of dividers for the little stuff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,720 Posts

Old School DA Revolver Field Cleaning Kit

Thanks to FBI Academy and FLETC instructor cadre who have reviewed and offered the most recent edits and suggestions, which are now incorporated:

This is an email I wrote responding to a youngster who inherited his Dad's old "cop gun" who asked what he needed for routine cleaning. I thought my reply to him would be of general interest. While this list is oriented towards an S&W revolver, it works with Colts, Rugers or auto pistols with few gun-specific mods as required when specific tools are recommended.

To use for rifles .30 cal. and larger add four M10 cleaning rod sections to extend the pistol rod. Not sure whether current military 5.56mm cleaning rods are the same thread, but if they are, you can modify this list by adding appropriate implements to clean your AR.

-------------- Original query deleted to protect privacy of the innocent -------------

I was taught old school revolver. I intensely dislike aerosols, so I don’t use them. This is because the CO2 propellant causes moisture condensation on the gun. Aerosols are more expensive for the amount of product and waste far too much in dispensing.

For general cleaning and lubrication I like Kano Kroil Brownell’s 471-100-008WB Kroil Pour Can https://shop.brownells.com/gun-clean...iABEgKxSvD_BwE or mix my own Ed's Red.

If you don't want to mix your own, buy blended professionally from Brownell's. 083-150-001WB 4 oz. "Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod19936.aspx

Avoid storing a handgun wrapped in any cotton cloth, because it attracts moisture. I use microfiber cloths from CountyComm these to wipe my EDC daily, and to wrap the gun up after cleaning and before casing to secure in locked container for travel or longer term storage: https://countycomm.com/collections/v...ro-fiber-cloth

Don’t store a handgun in a leather holster either, because the leather attracts moisture and long-term will cause corrosion. If carrying daily inspect and wipe sweat and dirt off the gun at end of shift. I store small revolvers or pocket autos in a Maratec zippered PVC pouch which doesn’t look like a gun case:
https://countycomm.com/collections/p...epellant-pouch

My field cleaning gear goes into a small Cordura Maratec zipper pouch: https://countycomm.com/collections/p...hes-by-maratac

Dewey 4” loop brass pistol rod, Brownell’s 234-000-070WB

Brass loop patch holder .38 cal. /9mm Brownell’s 084-000-217WB

Two Dewey COTTON bore mops for CLEANING/WIPING, .38 cal. pk. Of 3 749-000-168WB. Can be used for a quick field clean without using patches. Use one mop to wet the bore before brushing. This avoids dipping a dirty brush into the bore cleaner and contaminating it. Use the wet cotton mop again after brushing to remove loosened crud. Use a different dry mop to soak up excess excess solvent before oiling the gun lightly and putting it away.

One Brownell’s double-tuff bore brush .38 cal./9mm in kit, pack of 3 084-142-137WB

One Brownell’s WOOL bore mop for OILING .38 cal./9mm in kit, pk. Of 3 084-415-037WB

Brownell’s gun parts cleaning brush 676-450-001WB
Or travel toothbrush https://countycomm.com/collections/v...vel-toothbrush

Brownell’s S&W revolver screwdriver bits only combo pack for S&W 080-087-002WB

Brownell’s Compact Magnetic LE screwdriver handle 080-089-006WB

Brownell’s needle oilers 3 pk. 084-000-361WB, allocated as below:

Bottle 1 - Kroil or Ed’s Red bore cleaner – ID by RED color when filled,

Bottle 2 - USP H1 food grade mineral oil for lubrication - ID easily contents are CLEAR

Bottle 3 - Isopropyl alcohol to rinse mops and brushes after use. The "crud" falls to the bottom and will stay there. The implement dries quickly and is ready to go for the next range cleaning session. Alcohol is cheap (about a buck for a bottle), and it takes a while for the alcohol to foul to the point where it needs to be replaced. You will notice that brushes and mops last a lot longer using this process.

Alternately some people use clear mineral spirits in the extra bottle before washing them with hot soapy water in the motel sink if out on the road. This gets the implements cleaner, but they take longer to dry. But professional armorer's advice is to ALWAYS clean used mops for a cleaner gun!

Some people use a .40 cal. NYLON heavy-duty bore brush (Brownell's 084-444-017WB) .40/.41/10mm Pistol, 3 Pk) just for cleaning .38/.357 revolver CHAMBERS. This is a good idea when firing more than 100 rounds of lead bullet ammo (ESPECIALLY wadcutter) between cleanings. The nylon .40 cal. brush can also be used as expedient bore brush in 9mm/.38/.357 without harm. When firing a lot of .38 Special lead bullet ammunition in revolvers with .357 chambers (Brownell's stainless steel CHAMBER brush 084-455-137WB .38/.357 per 3) does a much better job of removing lead deposits from CHAMBERS, when used thoroughly wet with Kroil, but SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE BORE!

Norton UCS plastic scraper/cleaning stick, is non-scratching and great for getting encrusted fouling out of the nooks and crannies around the revolver barrel extension, the frame window or auto pistol slide face. MUCH better than the sharpened wooden Popsicle sticks we used to use in my time! https://countycomm.com/collections/v...cleaning-stick

For routine lubrication I use only ordinary USDA H1 rated pure USP mineral oil from the drug store, apply with patch, toothpick, Q-tip or eye dropper. Good read on subject linked below. Most "gun lubes" are expensive "snake oil".
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/...-on-your-guns/

IF you want to expand this basic field kit to clean your rifle also, add extra cleaning rod sections to extend the pistol rod, along with appropriate implements for the bore size, chamber brush, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,932 Times in 2,179 Posts

I too am a breech to muzzle cleaner
Have the Otis Elite
Use Bore Snakes especially on shotguns
But got this standard kit and it does what I need otherwise
GLORYFIRE Universal Gun Cleaning Kit Hunting Rifle Handgun Shot Gun Cleaning Kit for All Guns with Case Travel Size Portable Metal Brushes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0F4NFO..._RLmMDbN71HA2D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

AK103 has the right idea.

Buy one piece rods and the appropriate brushes and patches.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Id just buy some "good" rods for your rifles (I like Dewey's), and three or four short, handgun rods. Im not real picky on the handgun rods. Its nice to have one for your loop, jag, and brushes, especially with the revolvers.

Skip the "sectioned" aluminum rods. Waste of money. Same goes for the plastic tips and jags.

A good set of brass jags and a set of dental type pics. The plastic pics work OK, but I have had them break.

Brushes of your choice for each caliber. I use both bronze and SS "Tornado.

I buy patches in the big bags of 1000. 2.25 x 2.25, .30, and .22 covers most of my needs. You can cut the larger patches as needed if you have to.

I buy Hoppes by the quart, and keep it in the generic 1 liter spray bottles. They work great for this. Have one for Eezox too.

A cheap plastic tool box from Walmart works great to hold everything. Lots of dividers for the little stuff.
This is great advice, except for the Hoppes solvent. It does nothing for copper fouling. Use Butch's Bore Shine and you're good to go.

Sectioned rods are terrible, and bore snakes don't/can't brush the bore to loosen carbon fouling.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:36 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,083 Times in 1,689 Posts

OTIS (or similar) are great cleaning kits. Bore Snakes are quick cleaning as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stob View Post
......... except for the Hoppes solvent. It does nothing for copper fouling.
Hoppes is a good all around cleaner. Ive tried many if not most of them over the years, and keep coming back to it.

It does OK on copper fouling. A lot better than some, and maybe not as good as products specifically aimed at getting it out.

I usually clean the barrel first, then run a couple of sopping wet patches down the bore and let it sit while I clean the rest of the gun. When I run dry patches down the barrel when Im done, they usually come out a bright blue/green of varying levels. The last couple of dry patches are generally pretty clean too.

I dont worry too much on the copper fouling thing anymore. I clean well after every outing and everything seems to shoot as well as when I was really anal about it.

I have in the past, especially with a couple of specific rifles. The pursuit of bug holes will drive you crazy. I used that tee shirt for patches. Life is good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,802 Times in 2,292 Posts

I try to have a cleaning kit for each gun. I make them myself from old e-liquid bottles, a bore brush, 550 cord and then add a bag of patches and some home made lube. Then I put it in a surplus grenade pouch or similar.

I also have a large cleaning kit for more detailed maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_082256.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	292502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_082223.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	292504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_082210.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	292506  
Old 10-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
OTIS (or similar) are great cleaning kits. Bore Snakes are quick cleaning as well.
My gunsmith loves the OTIS cleaning kits!

Not because they work so well (they do if used correctly) but because of the easy money he makes getting stuck ones out of a bore.
Usually a couple a year.

Sorry, I'm not using anything that has a potential to get lodged in my bore.

OTIS claims it's user error, probably is when it happens, but nobody I know walks on water so it's always a possibility for the thing to take your weapon out of action.

https://otistec.com/blog/how-to-remo...he-first-place
Old 10-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
My gunsmith loves the OTIS cleaning kits!

Not because they work so well (they do if used correctly) but because of the easy money he makes getting stuck ones out of a bore. Usually a couple a year.

Sorry, I'm not using anything that has a potential to get lodged in my bore.

OTIS claims it's user error, probably is when it happens, but nobody I know walks on water so it's always a possibility for the thing to take your weapon out of action.

https://otistec.com/blog/how-to-remo...he-first-place
^^^^THIS^^^

Bore snakes also become embedded with abrasive primer combustion products and in time wear the muzzle crown, and chamber throat, even when used correctly.

The Otis kits are also EXPENSIVE! For what they cost you can go to Brownell's and buy the items I listed in my post on the FLETC revolver cleaning kit, then customize its contents to your gun, such as substituting a Glock disassembly tool for the revolver screwdriver, add extra military cleaning rod extensions and bore implements for AR or AK, rifle, etc.

For the rare occasions when you get mud dauber nests, forest trash, a fired case stuck in the chamber or a bullet lodged in the barrel from a squibb load, you will be really glad to have that metal cleaning rod and extra segments.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,485 Posts

Summer before last I think, I picked up a new .22lr pistol, then grabbed a pistol sized otis ripcord for .22lr at another store prior to shooting the new gun the first time.

I wanted to give the gun a very light cleaning, wipe away factory oil, and run the ripcord once through the barrel (I couldn't find my bore snake).

Well ripcord gets stuck, and stuck good! after a lot of pulling I can't get it to move either way, had to tie the ripcord to my truck and give it a hard pull to free it, I don't know or think it "damaged" the barrel (gun shoot fine), but it damaged the ripcord and went right in the trash.

Boresnakes are great, ripcords, at least the one I had, are ****.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:45 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,083 Times in 1,689 Posts

Anything you put in your barrel, that you don’t use correctly, can get stuck and cause damage.

OP, you can get everything from dedicated rods per caliber and the super wonder cleaning juice of the day, to a used GI Surplus cleaning kit from various counties from around the world and Break Clean on the cheap.

It all depends on how deep a clean you want vs quick and portable.

While you’re at it start a post of what’s your favorite bore solvent. Those are entertaining.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Ed's Red works similarly to Kano Kroil, but is less expensive. If you want to try a small quantity before mixing a gallon Brownells has it:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod19936.aspx

Or mix your own:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...sRedRecipe.htm
Old 10-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,904 Times in 7,551 Posts

I'm like AK103K and just use the Hoppe's. Seems to work ok. On the kit, right now I'm thinking about maybe buying that GLORYGIRE kit that Jack Swilling suggested and add to it. It looks like a pretty compete kit to start with and I like the brass. I know where to find the individual rods and such, so I'll stop off and price them out and compare..
Old 10-06-2019, 12:57 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,304 Times in 8,921 Posts

I like Shooter's Choice for a store bought solvent. Ed's Red is good too.

I don't like aluminium cleaning rods period. Steel or brass is what I use. I try and only use 1 piece rods, though I have sectioned rod kits like the one issued for my M-16.

I turn down jags to fit the bore with my patch material/size. I have the bore snakes for all my sizes too.

I try and clean everything from the breach - I have a few pull threw WWII military units.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:36 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,932 Times in 2,179 Posts

I have been using pull-through cleaning devices for 20 to 25 plus years and them some.
Never ever had a problem
Rarely if never do you see someone say my bad, I done-did the pooch
When I have a problem, first stop is the mirror
Mommy, the bad man sold me a bad product
Is it even remotely possibly there was user error ?????
As for copper or any other cleaning
https://sharpshootr.com/
I like Patch-Out, but Wipe-Out works real good as do the other products
For lubricatation, historically, Ballistol
Lately Geissele Go Juice both oil and grease
Most of the time Ballistol
But Go Juice is some fine juice
Either Ballistol or Go Juice as they are non-toxic and never, ever gum up
Old 10-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Survivor

Ive tried most of the commercial cleaners and lubes over the years, and have come to the conclusion that most of them are just "snake oil" of sorts, and a lot of them, especially the higher priced stuff, is just taking your money for what the cheap stuff does just as well, and in some cases, even better.

Like most "do all" things, I find that the CLP type stuff does things OK, but not all that great, or as well as stuff meant for a specific task.

These days, Im back to Hoppes for bore and action cleaning, Gun Scrubber for general flushing if Im not tearing it down, and Mobil One for oil/lube, and Lubraplate for things the few things I have left that require grease.

A quart of Mobil One and a small tube of Lubraplate will last you about forever, and thats with constant cleaning. $7 a quart, and Im still on the first quart of oil I bought probably 6 or 7 years ago now, and its still 3/4's full. I use it on multiple guns every week too.

I use Eezox for a rust preventative, for those things where rust might be a worry, and for my wipe down rags. Its the most expensive thing I do use these days, but it lasts a long time, so it evens out a bit.

Hoppes is what I go through the most of, and thats probably a quart or so every month, to every other month, and thats when sprayed on the patches from a spray bottle.

Brushes are a "high wear/use" item too, and dont last very long, when you use them all the time. They are also probably the highest cost out lof the lot too.

We all have our own likes and dislikes, and ways of doing things that we find works best. Only way to know, is give it a try and see, and figure it out for yourself.

The most important thing is to actually clean and maintain the gun, so it probably really doesnt matter what it is youre using, as long as your staying on top of things, and cleaning/lubing regularly after use.

From what I see when buying used guns, a lot of people dont, and it always amazes me. Hey, whatever. Their loss. I usually get them cheaper that way, assuming I think its worth the risk.

Been burned good a couple of times taking that risk too, but at least it wasnt at a realistic price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,641 Times in 3,755 Posts

One piece rods are the best, brass jags and loops are a must. Hoppes is a great powder solvent but it needs to be followed by the application of a good CLP, like breakfree.

Some rifles barrels can only be cleaned from the muzzle. I use a muzzle guide for those rifles to keep the rod centered and minimize contact between bore and rod.

As for patches forget the precut ones. You can cut your own patches for a lot less. Save yourself some money go to the local fabric store and buying a yard or two of white flannel, it's the same thing.

When wiping down a heavily parked firearm (rough finish) use a dark colored fabric as it makes fibers left behind on the park less noticeable. Black rifle-black wipe down rag.

The cleaning kits one finds in every gun shop on the planet are fine for starters, but eventually you will want to set up your own cleaning kit and for that, a small tackle/tool box is helpful.

If you are using lead bullets you will get lead fouling in the bore. You can spend the money for a Lewis lead remover or you can go to the local grocer and buy a package of copper scouring pads to cut up to scrub out the lead fouling. Make sure the packaging say 100% copper or you'll be scrubbing out more than just the fouling.