I just bought my first motorcycle - Page 14 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,160 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOA1 View Post
I've been street riding for 40 years.

Radar at 128mph sustained wheelie, wheelie contest.

I didn't say people should do what I do.

Ya pay your money, you take your chances. Everything in life is like that.

I just prefer to be a missile man.

A lot of people that ride don't think like I do, I've been to the other side and can't see doing it any other way.

The closer to death I am, the more alive I am. Adrenaline junky.

I don't want to be the guy in his wheel chair shutting his pants waiting for the end, I've seen it, not for me.

I also don't want to be the guy that didn't do exciting stuff and now is too old to do it because of failing eyesight, failing health.

Enjoy the burg, go put some miles on that thing.
ANOTHER drug cop and I were coming back from Nova Scotia on our Beemers and just outside of Ottawa we caught up to a couple on their Harleys, We got off at the same exit for gas, we were both going to the BMW/HARLEY dealer in Ottawa for Tshirts and such. Got to talking. We were all headed the same way along the Trans Canada and decided if we rode a little slower and them a little faster we could go along together.

SO, 2 HDs and 2 Beemer K bikes(I still had my 1994 K 1100LT) all headed west. I was on point, doing about 65-70 when the guy on his Harley blows by roaring with his LOUD pipes. We stop for gas a little while later and he is laughing about "blowing my doors off" when he passed me at 100 miles, not kilometers. OK, put that in the back of my mind.
About an hour later, he is on point, I am riding drag. We crest this valley, it has to be 7 miles of nothing but vacant 2 lane road to the next hilltop. I roll on throttle and let her climb.
At our next stop he asks "Just how fast were you going when you went by? I never heard it until you were by and you literally flew out of the valley and out of sight? " I told him I was 140 when I passed him and was just coming to 170 when I started slowing to crest the next hill. He never made any smart remarks about HD vs Beemer again.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 PM

Many of the larger bikes I've owned I bought from guys who had no riding experience, bought too much bike, and then either wrecked or realized that they couldn't get a 700lb back on the wheels if they dropped it.
When two of my nephews wanted to buy bikes, I recommended that they buy a smaller used bike with less power and then use it to learn how to ride for a year. The OP's scooter would accomplish the same job. Also, for those of us who pretty much ride bikes exclusively instead of driving cars or trucks, having a daily rider that's less than about 750cc makes sense because they are smaller, zippier, cheaper to operate, and much cheaper to repair or replace if someone runs you off the road. Craigslist is full of them and most have one big dent where the owner dropped them one time.
The Following User Says Thank You to gavrilo princip For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavrilo princip View Post
Many of the larger bikes I've owned I bought from guys who had no riding experience, bought too much bike, and then either wrecked or realized that they couldn't get a 700lb back on the wheels if they dropped it.
When two of my nephews wanted to buy bikes, I recommended that they buy a smaller used bike with less power and then use it to learn how to ride for a year. The OP's scooter would accomplish the same job. Also, for those of us who pretty much ride bikes exclusively instead of driving cars or trucks, having a daily rider that's less than about 750cc makes sense because they are smaller, zippier, cheaper to operate, and much cheaper to repair or replace if someone runs you off the road. Craigslist is full of them and most have one big dent where the owner dropped them one time.
OUT of my first 3 bikes the biggest was a 175 and none of them ever had a plate. Learning on a light bike is a good way to build hours so you understand what 2 wheels is all about. I had a cousin who rode semi pro motocross and I used to try to ride with him going through the trails. Trees are hard and don't give much. I finally decided to get a road bike when I got stupid chasing deer across a field I had never been on and almost got killed when the bike dropped about 4 feet leaving me doing a handstand on the bars. The only way anyone would have found me would be by watching the buzzards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I read in a magazine years ago the cure for tailgating is to carry a pocket full of ball bearings. The trick is to discretely drop one occasionally and let it bounce. Soon the tailgater will give you some space. It's easy to do if you have a tank bag with a pocket, if not improvise.
This is a bad idea.

Just twisty the grip on the right, the problems go away.

Don't even mess with it, twist, goodbye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MOA1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,341 Posts

Quote:
This is a bad idea.

That's just a juvenile response that doesn't teach the tailgater anything. The ball bearing trick makes him think parts are falling off the bike so he shows more respect.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
That's just a juvenile response that doesn't teach the tailgater anything. The ball bearing trick makes him think parts are falling off the bike so he shows more respect.
Well, it's better to just pop a wheelie and increase speed to 128 mph...
Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Who are you?

You sound like somebody looking to start fights between others, then back away like you had nothing to do with it.

You are full of bad ideas.

Bikes don't win battles with cars.

Leave, win.
The Following User Says Thank You to MOA1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 01:19 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
Well, it's better to just pop a wheelie and increase speed to 128 mph...
You guys are idiots.

I'm out.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,275 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Or he thinks your intentionally damaging his cage and tips you off your bike in anger. Not a fight you can win, hes got you on weight, cornering, braking and range. Sure you can boost but its a small world on the open road

Just a little twist of the wrist, a small problem becomes no problem.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Get some nut driving a truck riding your butt, best bet is to pull over and let them pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to gavrilo princip For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:07 AM

Hi OhioMan.

With 14 pages in this topic in just two weeks you can see that we bike riders are a passionate bunch. It is just great fun travelling on two wheels! Enjoy.

You may find that you already are making up excuses just to go for a ride. Things like "Oh no, we are down to our last 14 gallons of milk, I'll just pop out to get some more!" This is totally normal bike rider behaviour.

Couple of tips.
Practice hard braking. Bikes stop really well but if the front tyre loses traction you will usually end up on the ground. Knowing how hard you can brake is critical.

All other traffic is a hazard to you. Don't ride like you drive. If you have a car behind you and a car in front of you, you are literally the main ingredient in a meat sandwich. If there is a bunch of cars on the road get away from them. Your Burg will out-accelerate most cars so use that. Or drop back.

Armor up. Always wear gloves. Always wear solid boots. The bike may end up laying on your foot. I recommend a jacket with hard plastic armor at the shoulders and elbows. I have used this sort of armor and walked away unscathed. I never drive in traffic without it.

Turn the headlight on and make the bike noisy. Other road users won't see you and sometimes won't even look. Anything you can do to let them know you are there is to your benefit.

Pull your head in. I don't know if this translates well in US speak. Basically don't do stupid ****. I have managed to avoid injury riding bikes but every time bad stuff has happened I have looked back and thought "What the heck was I thinking doing that".

Now for the important stuff.
You now realize that the Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive is the best bike on the planet. Anyone else who rides a Burgman is also wise, intelligent, virile and deserving of admiration. Other Suzuki riders are OK but clearly not thinking right. All other bikes are crap and the people that ride them are deluded fools. These are now your core beliefs.
If you buy a new bike you will then realize that your new bike is the best bike on the planet. Again anyone else riding the same bike is superior, same brand riders are OK, all else are undesirables... You will however accept that people still riding Burgmans are OK but a bit slow on realizing the obvious benefits of your new steed.
This also is totally normal bike rider behaviour!

Now that the appropriate mindset has been explained I have to say that Nefarious1's joke about loose shorts was excellent (cos I ride a KLR).

Also to the poster who showed the BMW getting big air, my first thought on seeing that was "MONSTER TRUCK"!

A random recollection.
A guy I worked with had one of the early Triumphs. These apparently aren't the most reliable of bikes and are allergic to oil, spewing it all out at regular intervals.
It spent a lot of time inside his house in various states of assembly.
A suggestion was made that if the bars were dropped a bit and a sheet of glass placed over the top it might make a nice coffee table.
This suggestion was not received gracefully!

Enjoy your bike, OhioMan, smiling for no reason when riding is also normal behaviour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
IF IT is a HD it is no trick.. also the smoke and oil splatter drives them off.

(sorry, just had to do it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbersawz View Post
Or he thinks your intentionally damaging his cage and tips you off your bike in anger. Not a fight you can win, hes got you on weight, cornering, braking and range. Sure you can boost but its a small world on the open road

Just a little twist of the wrist, a small problem becomes no problem.
Remember I said discretely!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
Hi OhioMan.

With 14 pages in this topic in just two weeks you can see that we bike riders are a passionate bunch. It is just great fun travelling on two wheels! Enjoy.

You may find that you already are making up excuses just to go for a ride. Things like "Oh no, we are down to our last 14 gallons of milk, I'll just pop out to get some more!" This is totally normal bike rider behaviour.

Couple of tips.
Practice hard braking. Bikes stop really well but if the front tyre loses traction you will usually end up on the ground. Knowing how hard you can brake is critical.

All other traffic is a hazard to you. Don't ride like you drive. If you have a car behind you and a car in front of you, you are literally the main ingredient in a meat sandwich. If there is a bunch of cars on the road get away from them. Your Burg will out-accelerate most cars so use that. Or drop back.

Armor up. Always wear gloves. Always wear solid boots. The bike may end up laying on your foot. I recommend a jacket with hard plastic armor at the shoulders and elbows. I have used this sort of armor and walked away unscathed. I never drive in traffic without it.

Turn the headlight on and make the bike noisy. Other road users won't see you and sometimes won't even look. Anything you can do to let them know you are there is to your benefit.

Pull your head in. I don't know if this translates well in US speak. Basically don't do stupid ****. I have managed to avoid injury riding bikes but every time bad stuff has happened I have looked back and thought "What the heck was I thinking doing that".

Now for the important stuff.
You now realize that the Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive is the best bike on the planet. Anyone else who rides a Burgman is also wise, intelligent, virile and deserving of admiration. Other Suzuki riders are OK but clearly not thinking right. All other bikes are crap and the people that ride them are deluded fools. These are now your core beliefs.
If you buy a new bike you will then realize that your new bike is the best bike on the planet. Again anyone else riding the same bike is superior, same brand riders are OK, all else are undesirables... You will however accept that people still riding Burgmans are OK but a bit slow on realizing the obvious benefits of your new steed.
This also is totally normal bike rider behaviour!

Now that the appropriate mindset has been explained I have to say that Nefarious1's joke about loose shorts was excellent (cos I ride a KLR).

Also to the poster who showed the BMW getting big air, my first thought on seeing that was "MONSTER TRUCK"!

A random recollection.
A guy I worked with had one of the early Triumphs. These apparently aren't the most reliable of bikes and are allergic to oil, spewing it all out at regular intervals.
It spent a lot of time inside his house in various states of assembly.
A suggestion was made that if the bars were dropped a bit and a sheet of glass placed over the top it might make a nice coffee table.
This suggestion was not received gracefully!

Enjoy your bike, OhioMan, smiling for no reason when riding is also normal behaviour.
You nailed it rather well.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,213 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
This is a bad idea.

Meh. Tried that, it was a police car.

Too bad ~30 years ago GoPro's weren't a thing. 2 cops vs 16 yo me didn't fare well in court. Why I didn't see it was a police car? It was around midnight and he had high beams on...

Quote:
The closer to death I am, the more alive I am. Adrenaline junky.
This too. One reason I traded my Ducati to Audi cabriolet was that little kid I did not have when I bought the bike. I figured it is more probable to see him grow up if I switch from two wheels to four...
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 47,812 Times in 11,085 Posts

Why I wear a full-face helmet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 05:54 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,687 Posts

A Twist of the Wrist VI and VII. Get the books and watch the videos on YouTube.

These will help you enjoy your ride more and save your life.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Survivor

The Kawasaki Z400 is an interesting bike except for the useless high tail design. I can imagine it with the tail modified and a decent seat, a round headlight with small cafe fairing and finished in a matte black.

I can't see the tank well enough to see how weird it may be. If it had to be replaced it wouldn't be worth the effort or expense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,838 Times in 6,943 Posts

Quote:
This is a bad idea.
Well officer, I was just trying to outrun that jerk that just passed us as you were pulling me over...wait...the ticket is $150 plus $20 per mile over the limit? That's $270!

Yeah...problems are gone alright. That's real smart.

Quote:
You guys are idiots.

I'm out.
Oh, good.

Quote:
Remember I said discretely!
It's still ridiculous, and illegal.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 47,812 Times in 11,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
It's still ridiculous, and illegal.
I have to agree with MOA1 on this one. If I'm boxed in by a bunch of cars, I just scoot out of their confines using the throttle. Not long enough to get on the po-po's bad side if they are even around to see me. Then back to legal speeds.

Illegal? Don't care. Really. Don't. Care.

The law only applies to us proles doncha know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post: