Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,939 Times in 707 Posts
Default Food and the weather

Advertise Here

Yes you need to pay attention as the weather changes due to the Grand Solar Minimum , the growing seasons are smaller , cooler longer in spring and sooner falls . The sharp contrasts between cool areas and hot areas are causing more hail and rain that is causing short falls in crops here in the USA and over the world . As shortages get worse food will get more expensive and maybe harder to find . Europe has already had problems and as countries have a harder time importing food ( from where ) people with empty plates get mean . Prepare yourselves .
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Farmers here in mid Missouri are already harvesting their corn. Should be a good year as we have had plenty of rain. Soybeans also look good.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,926 Times in 19,118 Posts

Farmers aren't stupid.... They pay closer attention than you do.

That said: food security is cheap and valuable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Irregardless with global population going up food prices will continue to rise, and food quality is going down due to overproduction and loss of natural soil fertility and soil contamination.

Loss of ground water is effecting the amount of area that is farmable around the world. While farm land goes down, yeilds go up resulting in bad crop nutritional values and overproduction that creates reliance on chemically treating the land to make it producable.

Fish for instance are disappearing, if you want fish 20 years from now stock it now cause it will be mad expensive in a few years, and all sea fish will be factory farmed. Even river fish are bieng factory farmed these days in increasing amounts.

In the last 100 years we have gone from 1.7 billion people to over 7.7 billion people... that is like a 6x increase in global population over that time farmland use has gone down by over 50%.

We are looking at 10 billion people on this planet in the next 30 years with even less farmland.. so there is an agricultural revolution coming as we start factory farming in elevated buildings building in 3D with super efficient system with controlled microclimates... the move from using the planet to recreating it before we get flung to totally inhabitable spaces to live inside bottles. Not even to mention the devestating effects of climate change in the decades to come on planet pandaemonium.

As all natural life except for humans dies off, we are more and more moving to food production instead of harvesting food from the earth.

And with control of food access comes the ability to create markets that prices are based on supply and demand rather than people having a choice to grow their food or gain access from the market... and that is until your right to access the market is controlled by the powers and unless you have auhtorization to buy and sell through electronic commerce systems and the overlord be it goverment or some corporate power or both, you will be totally dependant on the permission to live.

More a reason to buy your food today than wait until you have no right to buy it and it cannot be grown.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,151 Posts

Right now food commodity prices are so low that record numbers of farmers are going bankrupt or even commiting suicide.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:07 PM

All food crops tested, save a French bean grown in England, produce higher yields under higher levels of CO2. See the site: www.co2science.com

They have a lot of very good information debunking human caused climate change, all of it coming from peer reviewed scientific journals.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,866 Times in 5,297 Posts

I have been talking on-line to other gardeners that have been affected by the Grand Solar Minimum. For anybody who does not know, the entire Midwest was hit hard by constant rainfall, frequent flooding, and very cold spring temperatures. The summer was warm enough to make the plants grow, though it was cooler than usual

My usual green bean did poorly under the new weather conditions, but I took another gardener's advice and grew Rattlesnake Pole beans. They produced as early as bush green beans and they tolerated the temperature swings fairly well. I got enough to freeze some. I am delighted and I will grow it again next year.

When the proper time to plant potatos arrived it was cold and wet and the potatos would have rotted if I had planted them at that time. Planting late would have made problems because the potatos need to set potatos in the cool of the spring: potatos do not set tubers when the soil is too warm. So, I potted up my potatos n yogurt pots, and when it was reliably warm out I planted the small potato plants. I got perhaps 50 pounds of potatos from a 30 foot by 4 foot bed. That is a reasonably good yeild for my area.

And, next year I will be trying Speckled Butter Peas, which are a kind of short season lima with small speckled seeds.

The Farmers all planted late, because it was too cold and too wet (the seed would have rotted), and nobody in my area has harvested yet. I suspect their yield will have been hurt due to the shorter season but I will not know until somebody harvests their crop and the results are posted where I can find it. I do know that we had a pretty sharp frost when most of the soybeans were just starting to turn yellow, though the corn looks properly ripe and dry. Still, traditionally the later the corn is planted the smaller the harvest, and the corn was planted VERY late due to the cold and wet. Again, until the corn and beans are harvested I do not really know how the area farmers have done
Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,052 Posts

There's enough BS in some of these posts to fertilize much of the world.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,866 Times in 5,297 Posts

Those who have ears, let them hear. And those who do not hear are on their own