How many guns do you need to keep your family fed? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,305 Posts

Advertise Here

For my area which is northwest florida i would want guns, traps, nets, water proof explosives, lots of fish line with hooks of all sizes, and some sort of hand cranked generator for fishing.
For hunting guns: several shotguns including 12 and 28 or 410. The larger bore shotguns would be for buckshot used for deer & hog hunting. Accurate .22 rifles. Something capable of killing deer with a bullet that still effectively expands at 300 yards. A lot of ammo. Likely for me it would not be firearms for most of my meat and for gun hunting quiet .22 loads would be used to avoid attention.
There might be a place for .38 shotloads for snakes and such. All are edible.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 05:24 AM
Shill for the Federal Gov

Just to be contrarian here, I guess, if you're hunting and it is vital to support your family now, as in , getting super hungry, you need to move/get a better job. If you're doing it in the ole "PAW", you done made a huge mistake.

Doing it now, I get. Doing it then, full on stupid. You and every other ding dong is going to be doing it. Anything bigger than a grasshopper is going to be gone inside of a week. More chance of getting into a gunfight with other poor planners than shooting anything edible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herkemer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 08:23 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,420 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Unfortunately this is not the 1930s . Security is not near as fun to discuss as hunting is, but I believe that it has more precedent going into 2020 compared to the 1930s. ...11B
True but to be fair the thrust of the OP wasn't security but
Quote:
keep[ing] my family fed
For me, in my location, the utility of the shotgun makes it far more effective at putting meat on the table than do the AR/AK platforms.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,644 Times in 9,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkemer View Post
Just to be contrarian here, I guess, if you're hunting and it is vital to support your family now, as in , getting super hungry, you need to move/get a better job. If you're doing it in the ole "PAW", you done made a huge mistake.

Doing it now, I get. Doing it then, full on stupid. You and every other ding dong is going to be doing it. Anything bigger than a grasshopper is going to be gone inside of a week. More chance of getting into a gunfight with other poor planners than shooting anything edible.
A lot is likely to depend on where you live. If you live in an area with lots of people, and limited food sources, then grasshopper will be on the menu.

If you live in an area with many farms, ranches, and big herds of white tail deer and feral hogs, hunting is a viable option.

Same question about fish, aquatic plants and animals, trappable smal game, and edible plants seeds, fruit, and nuts.

I always recommend folks move to a remote Ag area with decent rainfall, and a generous growing season.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:03 PM
Survivor

Quote:

That has always been my thought. I have spoken to people that grew up in nearby alabama duing the 40 and 50's and in those days there were no deer since hungry people had killed them Plenty of deer now.
But the carrying capacity for enough big game to feed a lot of people is low. But if one hunts small game an occasional squirrel, armadillo, possum, snake, and such will be welcome. Just will not be able to live solely off of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,064 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:

As far as post SHTF ,the number of hunters and even poor planners will be determined by what kind of S hits the fan. If it’s global thermonuclear war , hunters ( and anything living ) will be fairly scarce near cities. Since 50 % of Americans live in the dense population centers , that’s 160 million mouths ( including mine if it happens today ) that won’t need feeding.
A pandemic would also kill a lot more city people than rural but would effect those in the country Thinning the population there also.

If you are far out in the country from any town , it may be a while before anybody gets to your area with gas being a scarce resource. . So looter types might not be a factor in some scenarios. The only hunters in this case would be those already living in your area.

I don’t know about everywhere but here in Texas the feral hog population would have to see a dramatic increase in pressure to decline. So if the Texas population where reduced to say 2 million it’s unlikely that hunting alone would decimate wildlife.

That said hunting/trapping alone shouldn’t be your plan. It should be part of your plan. Right now I have enough to feed my family for a few months. That means I have 90 days to get my next meal. If it takes me 3 days to kill a hog , we are those three days and we can keep our storage a little linger while we eat everything from the hog but the oink. Ideally I’d like a year or 2 food stores. 2 years after most collapses things will be back to normal. . .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,031 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:

You make good and valid points. I have always thought that if you had the forethought to plan on shooting game you should have also been stocking food and seeds and fishing gear. You can only do so much hunting.

And you don't have to buy all the food all at once. Just buy $10 extra each time you go to the grocery store. According to what I read a Cambells food rep stated that most canned goods would last 30 years or so. No real need to buy expensive MRE's when you can stock up on canned food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
You make good and valid points. I have always thought that if you had the forethought to plan on shooting game you should have also been stocking food and seeds and fishing gear. You can only do so much hunting.

And you don't have to buy all the food all at once. Just buy $10 extra each time you go to the grocery store. According to what I read a Cambells food rep stated that most canned goods would last 30 years or so. No real need to buy expensive MRE's when you can stock up on canned food.
I have had canned items go bad. I likely need to check some of the other forums here for information on storage of canned goods.
The cheapest canned meat for my dogs is dollar can 15 oz of mackerel that is more water than fish these days. You need some things with real nutrition and fish products likely have more than most other canned items.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,388 Times in 3,080 Posts

12 g is all you need to feed. Real question is how much ammo should you have on hand. Just about every reputable 12 g pump gonna go bang when asked.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,147 Times in 5,161 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
12 g is all you need to feed. Real question is how much ammo should you have on hand. Just about every reputable 12 g pump gonna go bang when asked.

I suppose that depends on were you hunt. I've taken lots of small game out here with my 101 and i am confident i could take mule deer if that was all i had but i have work harder to close the gap to do it. A decent 300yd rifle is a good compliment to any shotgun.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,388 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123 View Post
Quote:

I suppose that depends on were you hunt. I've taken lots of small game out here with my 101 and i am confident i could take mule deer if that was all i had but i have work harder to close the gap to do it. A decent 300yd rifle is a good compliment to any shotgun.
True depends where, but 12g could be anywhere and include other options with feathers you know. It’s not the gun you have to decide on, but ammo to use when the opportunity presents itself. Can’t do that with a 300 yard rifle if some waterfowl happens to come your way while you looking for deer.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,031 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
I have had canned items go bad. I likely need to check some of the other forums here for information on storage of canned goods.
The cheapest canned meat for my dogs is dollar can 15 oz of mackerel that is more water than fish these days. You need some things with real nutrition and fish products likely have more than most other canned items.
I can't help you with the food for animals. I don't have any anymore. I haven't had a dog in 14 years or a cat in 32 years.

But if you mean meat for humans I keep Span and some of the Dak canned hams on hand. They taste OK but not great. But they do have fat in them and you need that. I like to take the Dak canned ham and put it in a shallow pan and slice cuts about halfway through and pack brown sugar in them and then cook for 20 minutes of so.

You can find lots of different canned meats. I have the last few months been cutting down on the size of my meals and how many meals I eat a day. Now its two at most and some days one larger meal and a light snack later. If it comes down to rationing food I will be sort of ready for that.

Being able to supplement your food supply by hunting and fishing but for some like me who live in town hunting would be tough unless I can make the 38 mile drive to my buds land to kill a deer or two. And if things have really gone to hell it would be hard to preserve the meat off of just one deer. And yes I know you can smoke, dry it or can it if you have the place and materials to do it. But most don't have that. Canned goods and dried goods are your friend.

And I believe the best way store canned goods for the longest shelf life is in a cool place like a cellar. There are lots of YT videos on prepping and long term storage to give you better information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I can't help you with the food for animals. I don't have any anymore. I haven't had a dog in 14 years or a cat in 32 years.

But if you mean meat for humans I keep Span and some of the Dak canned hams on hand. They taste OK but not great. But they do have fat in them and you need that. I like to take the Dak canned ham and put it in a shallow pan and slice cuts about halfway through and pack brown sugar in them and then cook for 20 minutes of so.

You can find lots of different canned meats. I have the last few months been cutting down on the size of my meals and how many meals I eat a day. Now its two at most and some days one larger meal and a light snack later. If it comes down to rationing food I will be sort of ready for that.

Being able to supplement your food supply by hunting and fishing but for some like me who live in town hunting would be tough unless I can make the 38 mile drive to my buds land to kill a deer or two. And if things have really gone to hell it would be hard to preserve the meat off of just one deer. And yes I know you can smoke, dry it or can it if you have the place and materials to do it. But most don't have that. Canned goods and dried goods are your friend.

And I believe the best way store canned goods for the longest shelf life is in a cool place like a cellar. There are lots of YT videos on prepping and long term storage to give you better information.
Canned fished like mackerel is very good for humans and superior health wise to spam and such for humans. It is very high in the omega 3s. I give it to my dogs for health reasons and eat for myself salmon and herrings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,704 Times in 19,049 Posts

Quote:

Keep in mind that while it may "last" (as in not make you sick) it does not mean/it will not provide the nutrition you need.

I only use a couple store bought cans a year, I do home canning, and rotate through every few years.

If you do This with home or commercially canned products you'll be fine.
But don't sit it on the shelf for 5, 10, or 20 years and expect it to be 'good as new'
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,188 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
True depends where, but 12g could be anywhere and include other options with feathers you know. It’s not the gun you have to decide on, but ammo to use when the opportunity presents itself. Can’t do that with a 300 yard rifle if some waterfowl happens to come your way while you looking for deer.
Sport hunting/ rules and regs via waterfowl?
To my knowledge, rifles are not allowed.

Can it be done at 300 yards with a rifle?
That would be a heck of a shot.

Can it be done at all with a rifle?
Of course it can, and one could use the same ammo that is already loaded to hunt mule deer with and still make consistent hits well out of shotgun range.

Have hunted turkey out of 2 states ( both legal) with the same 308 rifle I spoke of before. ( Ammo used was everything from M80 ball, to 168gr OTM, to 165gr SGK.)

Not enough resistance in them small critters to cause bullet to expand, frag, or tumble.

Its all about where one needs to place the bullet.

Same thing with grouse and the TCR22.

A nice feature about hunting with rifles instead of shotguns. ........There is no worries about finding any shot with your teeth when it comes time to eat them.

Bunnys to bison....muskrat to moose. ( And critters with feathers.)

With that said, I have more folks to feed than what a couple of ducks can provide in meat. ( We raise ducks, chickens, and turkey regardless.)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCR 22.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	292258  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:

These are some of the reasons I generally poo-poo the idea of living off small game. For one I think all the game will vanish in a short period of time, for another, I think the constant hunting required for small game would leave you out and about and making noise most days in a kind of world where you want to be holed up and being quiet.

I prefer to hunt big game to extinction in my area on day one and then hunker down for the next couple years. Wandering around shooting the ten-fifteen squirrels and pigeons a day you would need seems likely to end badly to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 10:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,655 Times in 7,389 Posts

How many guns do you need to keep your family fed? Just one more after that one.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,188 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post

I don’t know about everywhere but here in Texas the feral hog population would have to see a dramatic increase in pressure to decline. So if the Texas population where reduced to say 2 million it’s unlikely that hunting alone would decimate wildlife.

That said hunting/trapping alone shouldn’t be your plan. It should be part of your plan. Right now I have enough to feed my family for a few months. That means I have 90 days to get my next meal. If it takes me 3 days to kill a hog , we are those three days and we can keep our storage a little linger while we eat everything from the hog but the oink. Ideally I’d like a year or 2 food stores. 2 years after most collapses things will be back to normal. . .
If the population of Texas was reduced to 2 million, then hogs would outnumber us from the outset.

I shoot 3 to 6 hogs a week as it is now on my property alone. If the human population were to decrease, the hog population would only increase unless the same thing that caused human decline affected them as well.

With that said, it hasn't taken much effort to live trap them either. ( Keep a few fresh on the hoof so to speak...lol)

Regardless........we see them as a direct threat to other items we like to eat ......so its a double edged sword for lack of a better term.

11B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Shill for the Federal Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
These are some of the reasons I generally poo-poo the idea of living off small game. For one I think all the game will vanish in a short period of time, for another, I think the constant hunting required for small game would leave you out and about and making noise most days in a kind of world where you want to be holed up and being quiet.

I prefer to hunt big game to extinction in my area on day one and then hunker down for the next couple years. Wandering around shooting the ten-fifteen squirrels and pigeons a day you would need seems likely to end badly to me.
Same here, I agree. I've had the opportunity, I guess, to go to China a lot in the last 15 years. Wifes family lives there. There is not one living non human thing there. Seriously. For the first time ever, when I was there last time I saw a kinda of feed lot for cattle, and it was small. There is not any animal there. I figure thats the way it would be here if there was no law. Reading, and reading here about the depression here, it apparently was the same thing. Nothing. I know folks here say that "Well, if you live in X, then there will be......". I do not think that is true. One family will clean out every animal in that place inside of a couple of weeks, don't care where its at. The "Out in the country away from things in the farm fields shooting whitetails" is a kinda bs dream that ranks up there with "I'm heading to Walmart" or "My uncle has a deer lease" kinda bad thinking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herkemer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 11:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
If the population of Texas was reduced to 2 million, then hogs would outnumber us from the outset.

I shoot 3 to 6 hogs a week as it is now on my property alone. If the human population were to decrease, the hog population would only increase unless the same thing that caused human decline affected them as well.

With that said, it hasn't taken much effort to live trap them either. ( Keep a few fresh on the hoof so to speak...lol)

Regardless........we see them as a direct threat to other items we like to eat ......so its a double edged sword for lack of a better term.

11B
If people depended on killing hogs to live, those hogs would rapidly diminishe in numbers.
Trapping is normally considered the best way to harvest hogs. Currently hogs do carry transmissible diseases so one must take care in handling them.